PDA

View Full Version : From 2010, lessons learned, suggestions, etc..



miljeep
04-26-2010, 06:55
Figured it would be good to try to compile a list of lessons learned, suggestions, and anything else that popped up for a 2010 event.

I will try to keep up with this and add the stuff as it comes up.


Redesign campmj.com - allow those planning the events to control the content of their page. Once the even has been completed, put some photos from the event on the page, link to photo hosting accounts with photos and then lock the page and leave it as is so people can go back and look at the previous year events. Maybe add a summary of how things went, how many attended, etc.. (need to wait until I get back from Iraq to do that)
Get Trail Guide Shirts sent out earlier - More of a reminder for me than anything else
Make the event Fri, Sat and Sun - Would be easier for those that have to travel to attend.
Assemble a Board - A group of people with assigned areas of responsibility.
Possible Registration Fee - Would help pay for a catered meal, etc..
Possible American Legion Support? Maybe for the BBQ. Could bring old and young military together for a good time while bringing the legion to the attention of some that may not be familiar with it.
Use ORP for events - Off Road Parks have the basic life support systems in place, have designated trails, are fairly easy to find, they may even help to promote or run the event and may give a discount such as military discount. They may even help provide door prizes. Responsible wheeling and use of the Off Road park could prove beneficial to the local area, ultimately helping to keep the parks open longer.
Blue Ribbon, Tread Lightly Support, etc - Get support from BRC and TreadLightly for the events. Maybe even have a local person that is assigned to that organization on site to provide a class or info brief.

Fred
04-26-2010, 09:05
I like 1 and 2 for sure.....hint Mrs Miljeep Can you PM me with info about the Mid West TrailGuide Shirts?

Also build and assign a "board" to help with all this and the event coordinator will direct and over see

Scottie
04-26-2010, 11:07
1,2,3 are great ideas. I think that this event would benefit from having a dedicated "planning committee".

jeepinjp
04-26-2010, 12:16
well I guess this is a good a place as any, as I was going to do a poll on q 3 which I strongly endorse.... Even if Fri. is a half day of wheeling...plus I would like to know and I suggest for the Sat. giveaway event(which I somehow would up mc ing) would folks be willing to pay a registration fee (15-$25) a head to have a catered bbq, pigroast or something similar under a tent on site or at a local VFW etc. (which I already scoped out a little) so weather is not a factor and those of us who are getting soft and staying at a hotel dont have to leave to eat and we can all have a good time together afterwards..I was not there last year so I dont know if it lasted longer than this year or if it just ended so fast because of the weather..

jeepinjp
04-26-2010, 12:17
1,2,3 are great ideas. I think that this event would benefit from having a dedicated "planning committee".


I nominate Scottie chairman...........

Scottie
04-26-2010, 13:37
AH!

Big Green
04-26-2010, 13:45
Memorial Day weekend? For those still active it is already a holiday with a little more time off. And for those with longer drives, it might make it easier to get setup, wheel and break camp with out as many time constraints. Obviously location would need to be planned far out in advance so as to ensure park doesn't already have a large event planned.

If not Memorial Day weekend then perhaps just a little later so hopefully we can have warmer temperatures.

Scottie
04-26-2010, 13:46
well I guess this is a good a place as any, as I was going to do a poll on q 3 which I strongly endorse.... Even if Fri. is a half day of wheeling...plus I would like to know and I suggest for the Sat. giveaway event(which I somehow would up mc ing) would folks be willing to pay a registration fee (15-$25) a head to have a catered bbq, pigroast or something similar under a tent on site or at a local VFW etc. (which I already scoped out a little) so weather is not a factor and those of us who are getting soft and staying at a hotel dont have to leave to eat and we can all have a good time together afterwards..I was not there last year so I dont know if it lasted longer than this year or if it just ended so fast because of the weather..

Thats a good idea to get a local legion of VFW to do the BBQ. I think we would have to sit down and look at numbers, but this could be expanded. Example: one event I attended for $40 registration fee a participant recieved a t-shirt, sticker, "all you can eat" bbq and mug (read plastic) for open bar draft beer on Saturday night. The BBQ was held in the pavilion at the campground we all stayed at. In addition, raffles and giveaways we done during the bbq. With the growth of the event something like this is probably possible.

jeepinjp
04-26-2010, 14:47
everything is in the works... just got off phone with Senior NCO at the local National Guard Armory. He filled me in on some of the local poop. I am also waiting on a call from one of the fire dept. that has pavillions, a ball field and nice crik to cool off in if hot..
so when I get some firmer #`s I will post options and we can decide.

The big problem is that this is all off site as Rausch doesn`t have any facilities.I am told they will but we will need to think about both off-site and possible on-site, and possible armory tent on site.

jeepinjp
04-26-2010, 15:07
Yea that is what I am working on, so far spoke to AL,VFW and one fire company, waiting on a few return calls.. the only unfortunate issue is Rausch does not have a pavillion and renting of big tents gets expensive.

Scottie
04-26-2010, 16:17
Since the good idea fairy is flying around.. What about the possibility of reserving a number of sites campground that has shower facilities and a large pavilion. This is more convienent (sp) for everyone; ie one stop shopping. Members can hang out as long as they want without having to worry about driving.

However, I think we are getting too deep right now. My mind is formulating COAs.

warthog_cj7
04-26-2010, 17:22
Good ideas, but there was a Poll as to location for this year. Will it be Rausch next year? Just asking. I'm curious to UWharry(sp?)

Also on the money item, the Rausch card is only good for 1 year. For those of us that had to re-up that was $65. If next years event is later, that is $65 plus whatever registration fee we are looking to to do. Just keep that in mind.

For this event I had a friend jumping through hoops this last week trying to find some place that would do food for us on Saturday night, but head count continued to be the issue.

Having registration just a couple months prior to the event can help with planning.
Then you can have bag per username to hand out when they arrive, that has:
# shirts they ordered
# tickets for the catered meal
Schedule of events
List of group assignments
Map of park or wherever were are
Stickers - in general vendor and possible MJ
Other stuff we don't want in our rigs...

Need larger pool of guides prior to the event. Day of event we had to make change for 2 guides, we made it work. But having a better list prior would make easy, pick and point.

korisu56
04-26-2010, 17:25
There were several locations that were on the poll and RC won out because thats where the participation was. If people want it farther south, then they need to get their friends on here and voting.

Fred
04-26-2010, 22:03
I am likely going to organize one nest year in TN or AL, there are several parks there and it is a central location, but I want to make it past this years event first.

jeepinjp
04-26-2010, 22:20
well the point is simple if done with enough time everything can be done efficiently and affordable. So my suggestion is do it early, it removes the rushing and accepting of things you would not otherwise accept. do the poll early do the reservations early , it gives people time to arrange for time off, stuff away a few extra bucks.

so to do registrations a few months in advance you need to do poll 6 months in advance, my suggestion to make a successful event is you do poll in a few months with the understanding that wherever it will be, there will need to be a good support team to put the event together, provide guides and make other arrangements as necessary.
but I suggest prior to any of that a poll to decide if the majority of folks want or care to do a lot of the suggestions that have been flying, such as 3 days or a holiday weekend, whether they want a banquet type event on Saturday night or not etc,

miljeep
04-27-2010, 07:58
Yea that is what I am working on, so far spoke to AL,VFW and one fire company, waiting on a few return calls.. the only unfortunate issue is Rausch does not have a pavillion and renting of big tents gets expensive.

National Guard recruiters may be able to assist with getting a tent. I know we are all military already, but some that may have got out a few years back may find that the guard is worth checking into. I know the guard or reserve, probably the guard, provided a bunch of inflatable bounce houses and climbing walls for an event that was held during my ANCOC (E7 school) outside of Fort Leonard Wood.

I know someone already posted the possibility of getting shirts from the guard or reserve with the event's info on it, but it was going to have the guard or reserve logo on it also. I think I read the shirts were going to be free, so they must have some resources available for the recruiting effort that we may be able to use.

Scottie
04-27-2010, 08:04
The head count can be solved easily with an online or snail mail registration regardless if we do the picnic or not. If this is a large enough event we could ask RC or some other park if the would be willing to waive the pass fee in leui (sp?) of sponsorship for the event. Many of the issues we are bringing up is why there should be a committed "planning committee". It is the job of this planning committee to do the investigating (pros/cons,deals) and find who/what/where/why/when/how. With many of us having busy lives, it sounds like this is an event that should have a committee formed within the next month or two to start the planning meetings.

warthog_cj7
04-27-2010, 08:14
The poll for the East location was started July 10, 2009. September-ish we started a committee. But in October I had to step down due to family issues and basically fell of the forum till about a month ago when I picked up the reins again. We had started with a registration form from my club that we had tweaked and then TJ 4 Boxers had the reg form from his club that was actually better.

Yes, a planning committee is what's needed to spread the responsibilities. Makes it a Lot easier than 1 or a couple folks pushing through.

At min if can assemble committee 6 months prior, it allows plenty of time for planning (and limited jumping through hoops). The sooner the date/location can be set the sooner folks can put on calendar, apply for leave/vaction.

Scottie
04-27-2010, 08:48
I still think that 6 months is not enough time to make things stick. Setup, Lodging, Food, Sponsors, Parks, Research, Media, Shirts, Assoc. Support. This is all volunteer, and like you said "things happen". If the "committee chair" is picked and takes the regins in a month or two and begins the planning process, when incidents happen or people drop out it wont be such a hit to the committee and the event. From reading the multiple threads, it seems that more time and organization is needed to make this a successful event.

usnavymitchells
04-27-2010, 09:35
The Committee Must have back ups. This year was proof of that. The lead on this was handed down 3 times due to conflicts and the last hand down was at the last minute. Very easy for this senario to happen again.

Scottie
04-27-2010, 09:45
miljeep any input?

devildog4x4
04-27-2010, 10:05
Figured it would be good to try to compile a list of lessons learned, suggestions, and anything else that popped up for a 2010 event.

I will try to keep up with this and add the stuff as it comes up.


Redesign campmj.com - allow those planning the events to control the content of their page. Once the even has been completed, put some photos from the event on the page, link to photo hosting accounts with photos and then lock the page and leave it as is so people can go back and look at the previous year events. Maybe add a summary of how things went, how many attended, etc.. (need to wait until I get back from Iraq to do that)
Get Trail Guide Shirts sent out earlier - More of a reminder for me than anything else
Make the event Fri, Sat and Sun - Would be easier for those that have to travel to attend.
Assemble a Board - A group of people with assigned areas of responsibility.
Possible Registration Fee - Would help pay for a catered meal, etc..
Possible American Legion Support? Maybe for the BBQ. Could bring old and young military together for a good time while bringing the legion to the attention of some that may not be familiar with it.
Use ORP for events - Off Road Parks have the basic life support systems in place, have designated trails, are fairly easy to find, they may even help to promote or run the event and may give a discount such as military discount. They may even help provide door prizes. Responsible wheeling and use of the Off Road park could prove beneficial to the local area, ultimately helping to keep the parks open longer.
Blue Ribbon, Tread Lightly Support, etc - Get support from BRC and TreadLightly for the events. Maybe even have a local person that is assigned to that organization on site to provide a class or info brief.



Just my .02 worth. I would not be supportive of the American Legion being involved. This is my personnel feeling. I will not support them as they do not allow membership to all Military who have served. I have family and personal friends who have served and can not be a member due to their membership requirements of specific times served. I am just one member - let the majority rule.

I like the other ideas.


There were several locations that were on the poll and RC won out because thats where the participation was. If people want it farther south, then they need to get their friends on here and voting.

Organizing a location and head count will always be a challenge. Due to logistics, distance, jobs, family, deployments / military last minute what notís and a multitude of other reasons - we will be challenged with pleasing and accommodating everyone. We do the best we can, review (as we are doing) and continue to improve. Everyone needs to accept the decision of the majority who vote. :beer:

miljeep
04-27-2010, 10:08
maybe prior to choosing ORP to vote on the location, they can be asked if they would be willing to sponsor the event with free admission, discounted admission, etc...

Also, getting a local jeep dealer involved may open the doors to some support also. I know the jeep dealer right outside fort hood has / had a central texas jeep night where they had music and stuff at a restaurant. Maybe a local jeep dealer could provide a live broadcast by a radio station from the event, which would give tunes for those attending, but also promote their jeep dealer.

I do agree that planning would be best done by a group of people as early as possible, and that their should be a forum for camp mj planning as a whole with access by each of the planners, but also have sub forums for each event so if someone has to drop out, all the info is there and ready to be picked up by another person.

miljeep
04-27-2010, 10:11
Just my .02 worth. I would not be supportive of the American Legion being involved. This is my personnel feeling. I will not support them as they do not allow membership to all Military who have served. I have family and personal friends who have served and can not be a member due to their membership requirements of specific times served. I am just one member - let the majority rule.

that was just an idea thrown out there. I guess this is basically like an online AAR with some ideas being thrown around.

usnavymitchells
04-27-2010, 10:36
maybe prior to choosing ORP to vote on the location, they can be asked if they would be willing to sponsor the event with free admission, discounted admission, etc...

Also, getting a local jeep dealer involved may open the doors to some support also. I know the jeep dealer right outside fort hood has / had a central texas jeep night where they had music and stuff at a restaurant. Maybe a local jeep dealer could provide a live broadcast by a radio station from the event, which would give tunes for those attending, but also promote their jeep dealer.

I do agree that planning would be best done by a group of people as early as possible, and that their should be a forum for camp mj planning as a whole with access by each of the planners, but also have sub forums for each event so if someone has to drop out, all the info is there and ready to be picked up by another person.

If you set up an MJ Committee that develops an SOP for all Camp MJ's then your basic guidelines are in place. Then each committee that runs a regional event has a system set up ahead of time. You could even put together a package by location i.e. POC's for local support if the East Coast event is at RC, or where ever the masses vote on. It would in a sense be like MJ Chapters except for major events. Set it all up in a word document and then you could just email it out to the committee members running the event.

miljeep
04-27-2010, 10:41
If you set up an MJ Committee that develops an SOP for all Camp MJ's then your basic guidelines are in place. Then each committee that runs a regional event has a system set up ahead of time. You could even put together a package by location i.e. POC's for local support if the East Coast event is at RC, or where ever the masses vote on. It would in a sense be like MJ Chapters except for major events. Set it all up in a word document and then you could just email it out to the committee members running the event.

I knew someone would bring the SOP into this.

Hey, obviously the SOP would be best written by a small group of people, and if each person was working on their own word document, then it would be a pain to merge the changes, but if anyone wanted to collaborate on one we could use the google docs account we have. That way if you make changes to the document, it updates the main document automatically and everyone sees the changes as we are all working on one single document.

Scottie
04-27-2010, 11:38
To run the event we should think about incorporating ICS or RICS. Instead of re-inventing the wheel we could just use a public management system.

RICS w/ Docs (http://www.rltc.biz/Forms/rics_plan_total_blank.pdf)

ICS DOC (http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/ICS100HC/SM/Unit%205SM%20-%20ICS%20Organization%20Part%201.pdf) Org Chart (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3e/ICS_Structure.PNG) <---- Structured but able to mold to suit our needs.

I would be willing to help out with the MJ SOP and East Coast Event. I am in a pretty stable position and riding a desk now.

jeepinjp
04-27-2010, 14:02
To run the event we should think about incorporating ICS or RICS. Instead of re-inventing the wheel we could just use a public management system.

RICS w/ Docs (http://www.rltc.biz/Forms/rics_plan_total_blank.pdf)

ICS DOC (http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/ICS100HC/SM/Unit%205SM%20-%20ICS%20Organization%20Part%201.pdf) Org Chart (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3e/ICS_Structure.PNG) <---- Structured but able to mold to suit our needs.

I would be willing to help out with the MJ SOP and East Coast Event. I am in a pretty stable position and riding a desk now.


So you`ve taken Del`s course huh ?? good job...
I do agree or feel it would make for a more efficient and ultimitely more enjoyable experience for participants and those in charge. Weather we need an SOP or not ??I dont know how other Camp MJ`s are going and what there structure is. Obviously a committee of at least(absolute) min. 6 and preferably more so if anyone has to drop it has no adverse effect on progress.
On the East coast there was a few changes of lead as mentioned and I dont know if it effected anything as I was not present last year, so I have nothing to compare it to.It was a great time regardless, But I do know as Scottie said and I have been involved in planning of many OHV events and it makes for a much more enjoyable event for all when it is more structured. But that depends on what the masses want I guess. I would also be willing to be part of the team(as many here probably have..I completed the ICS -100/200 a few years back , and the structure works. And the RICS is based on the same system.
I have been beating the phones as I mentioned to get prices of differing off-site meal ideas for Saturday night, and a few for possible on-site with a factor being shelter at Rausch.One I overlooked was the obvious Jeep dealers(thanks Ryan) so I will hit that too..Once I have a complete response I will pass it on to an admin. for disemination.
I can also help in the BRC/Tread Lightly area, as I am on the B.O.D. for BRC and a Master Tread Trainer for T.L. and can help other regions with contacts for such. I secured for the East some memberships and other bling from BRC for this years event and that can be expanded.

As devildog said, the bottom line is the masses..
Organizing a location and head count will always be a challenge. Due to logistics, distance, jobs, family, deployments / military last minute what notís and a multitude of other reasons - we will be challenged with pleasing and accommodating everyone. We do the best we can, review (as we are doing) and continue to improve. Everyone needs to accept the decision of the majority who vote. :beer:

Scottie
04-27-2010, 14:39
FYI....Good middle ground face to face meeting point is wanaque, NJ :)

jeepinjp
04-27-2010, 16:48
FYI....Good middle ground face to face meeting point is wanaque, NJ :)


oh really:rolleyes:

BucketOKarma
04-27-2010, 17:44
LOL.... Thank you Ryan for taking the reigns on a topic I was planning on bringing up and following through on as soon as I got home. I also agree the "lead" on planning shouldn't be stuck to one or two people, all kinds of unforeseen events can and will occur. Big fan of the committee idea where everyone is on the same page so if someone does have to PCS, mobilize, go to the field, or any of the many events that change within hours, we all know where things were supposed to be heading. Monthly meetings to discuss where things are at, what's been done, and what still needs doing, isn't a bad idea. The results of the meetings could be put up in the forum as news, prospects, or polls when something new gets brought up. Like I said, I was going to get right on the planning of 2011 as soon as I returned home, but this is a great month or so jump-start.

Another thing: Do we want to have HMC (If given more time for planning and whatnot, he can have more crew on the trails to get a piece of ALL the action instead of one jeep trying to find everyone)? If so, that's something else to plan for. It would be nice to have a bunch of pics and posters as well as video of each year's event.

Are we going to have more venues on different dates for different regions? Should we do something rotational (northeastern area, southeastern, southwest, northwest, northern midwest, southern midwest, or just one midwest, hitting one area a year) Making it a singular annual event, but it'll be in your area once every five or so years. I'm sure this sounds like a terrible idea, but it would certainly give me the incentive to maybe hit up "CampMJ 2012" in Moab, plan it out a year in advance (or longer if we start getting a rotational schedule going), and make the trek to completely new terrain to be part of the the next "Camp MJ", and meet some more screen names face to face.....

But again, it's just a thought, instead of planning all these different events each year, making it one event that changes it's location on a rotational basis.... Think about it.... That's not to say we can't make wheeling events for the times "Camp MJ" isn't in our area too, no rules about going out to a park with a few other MJ'ers and wheeling anytime you feel like.

miljeep
04-27-2010, 17:56
Another thing: Do we want to have HMC (If given more time for planning and whatnot, he can have more crew on the trails to get a piece of ALL the action instead of one jeep trying to find everyone)? If so, that's something else to plan for. It would be nice to have a bunch of pics and posters as well as video of each year's event.



I would have liked to be able to help more with the planning, but with a crappy internet connection, the time difference, not being able to make phone calls easily due to time differences and other stuff, my participation was limited.

The HMC thing was cool, but it was a big chunk of change. Plus, they would always be at the east coast one because of location, so the other people would get shafted.

Maybe if some sort of deal was worked out where people submitted video and he put it together and then offered the DVDs for sale and maybe kept the profits as payment would be better. This was his skills would be free for us, he would still make the money for his time spent doing the labor for the editing and people can buy a DVD with their rigs on it. I know he tried to get the majority of the group last year, but he could not be at all places at all times so he likely missed some memorable events. This way video could be used from all the events and maybe have some of the shots he would not have otherwise got.

I know he probably has some sweet camera equipment, but I am sure there are others here that have sweet stuff also. I know my wife's camera cost about 2,000 and that does include any additional lenses, flash stuff and whatever else. I bet someone could take a nice photo that could be touched up for use as a poster.

If anything, it is something to look into. If he cannot do it, or if the terms cannot be worked out, then there may be other people that have editing skills and the resources available to make it happen. I know of at least one other person on here that has coms with someone that produces videos / movies.

Personally, I think it would be better to spend the money on trail guide shirts and maybe get a butt load of stickers to hand out next year or something else specific to that year to have as a keepsake. Those dash plates would be cool if I could ever find where they make them.

korisu56
04-27-2010, 18:08
Alright....now I'm gonna come in here and drop my .02 as I'll be here and helping plan the next one (don't have to miss it next year too :)).

First off, thank you to all those who made it possible and made it out. The entire weekend I was moving under a ruck and doing land nav I was thinking about being in my jeep drinking Soco 100 and ginger ale. ****.

Also, I don't want to come off as negative. I just don't want to create a bureaucracy and overcomplicate something that was amazingly fun the first time and is getting good reviews for the second run.

1. Committees- Great online, difficult in person. Dan's in NJ, I'm in DE, Dave and Patty are in PA, Rob is in NJ, etc etc etc. Lets just see how it continues to pan out unless a great chapter magically forms and takes the lead as in CO Springs and FLW. The problem will always come down to time. This is a back seat hobby for most with family and life coming first, so just keep working together where we can and see where it takes us. Hasn't failed us yet.

2. SOP- Another great concept, going to be hard to implement. Different people contact different companies and different methods allow people to adapt. Again, I think it's overthinking an enjoyable event unless people are willing to dedicate time to a document that may not be worth the e-paper its e-printed on.

3. HMC- If we wanna have a fund raiser or something to raise the money, rock on. If not, someone has to front the cost of the production and get nothing in return except having to pay a little more for a DVD copy. The video was cool, but as Ryan said, money can be better spent elsewhere to benefit the many. I strongly suggest people use their TC's to utilize video cameras and photography. I've seen some good youtube videos that our members have made, i'm sure something can be put together. Plus, what happens to FLW and COS Camp MJ? Can hardly call the DVD Camp MJ '11 when 2/3's were missed.

4. "Lead" or "Moderator" helps keep the individual teams or committees on track.

5. Location- Again this year we'll have a poll that will be up for a no less than a month. Prior to that will be a suggestion thread where options will be compiled and people will vote. It only makes sense that where the most participation is that the event be held. If only the NE and Mid Atlantic personnel will plan and play, then its justified. Hard to be motivated to plan an event that you can't get to.

BucketOKarma
04-27-2010, 18:24
Fair enough.

Scottie
04-28-2010, 08:14
I dont agree at all with "seat of the pants" planning, and just "letting it happen". As I stated above for face to face planning the longest drive is 1.5 hrs for those that have been active in this discussion, and we could also utilize netmeetings or conf calls to get business done. I have been involved planning large events, unpaid and as a hobby, and it does take time but it is not the burden that its being made out to be IF people are involved. To make anything great you are going to have to invest time whether it be Boy Scouts, VFW, Red Cross, or Off Roading. All these organizations hold events with unpaid volunteers. I think that if members are willing to travel from all over for Camp MJ it should be more that just a regular club outing. I, for one, am willing to put the time and effort in to make this successful; I am sure there are others too.

irish1371
04-28-2010, 21:07
just to add for next year,
I know our stuff is limited at RC and if we can not find a decent spot off site, then let me know because with enough time I can bring in tenting to cover 150 people with covered/heated dish set ups for like 20 sides and a pig roaster that handles 250lbs of full pig.

The family does a self supported pig roast every year that can handle 3-400 people if needed. it's a real local event and over the years we have gathered everything needed to do it.

Scottie
04-29-2010, 07:57
!!

BucketOKarma
04-29-2010, 09:05
just to add for next year,
I know our stuff is limited at RC and if we can not find a decent spot off site, then let me know because with enough time I can bring in tenting to cover 150 people with covered/heated dish set ups for like 20 sides and a pig roaster that handles 250lbs of full pig.

The family does a self supported pig roast every year that can handle 3-400 people if needed. it's a real local event and over the years we have gathered everything needed to do it.

OMG, that sounds AMAZING!!!

irish1371
04-29-2010, 09:13
yea i'm just thinking on how the hell to move it all to RC now lol

Scottie
04-29-2010, 09:20
HA! I should try to draw a FMTV from the motor pool.

warthog_cj7
04-29-2010, 10:53
That is SWEET!
What is the collapsed dimensions on the tent? (or largest item)
Once we know size, we can get there.
Even if I need to borrow a buddies gooseneck or we have club member that drives 18wheeler I'm sure we could his assistance. He has helped on other items.

jeepinjp
04-29-2010, 12:57
just to add for next year,
I know our stuff is limited at RC and if we can not find a decent spot off site, then let me know because with enough time I can bring in tenting to cover 150 people with covered/heated dish set ups for like 20 sides and a pig roaster that handles 250lbs of full pig.

The family does a self supported pig roast every year that can handle 3-400 people if needed. it's a real local event and over the years we have gathered everything needed to do it.


Damn irish thats what I`m talkin about.....you didn`t mention that yesterday.... now we`re talkin.... even if we could get the tent etc. I have already been in contact with a guy who does pig roasts in the area and he could give us all the meat in alum. pans and a bunch of sides for like $ 8.00 a person...that way noone has to spend all night cooking.. It `s starting to come together that is of cource if it is Rausch again.

I also spoke to the senior NCO at the NG Armory in Pine Grove and they were pretty psyched to help , they could probably help with transport..

Scottie
04-29-2010, 13:42
- I have a 24' enclosed that I trailer my Heep in. If it fits in there, 1 option.

- The ideas are following, awesome.

- At the end of this AAR, the MJ head shed will have to decide to go the Committee route (and choose the "chairman" so s/he can for the committee) or keep it the same as years past.

Scottie
05-11-2010, 08:25
summary/COA?

Grevus
05-31-2010, 09:25
any way we can get some sponsors? I'm not talking AL or VFW, nothing like that, I mean parts vendors. Not sure how difficult it would be. I know there are a good number of companies out there that support the Military. I'll talk to the guys over at Quadratec, (been a memember of their boards since `01) they are a big supporter of the Military.

other ideas are good. Next year is going to be so up in the air for me since I'm headed to Drum in September, there's no telling when I'll get deployed. Since the New England Region falls under East Coast for Camp MJ that is going to be one hell of a hall for me. With that said I think RC is a good venue for this for the East Coast folks.

Since I wasn't there for this years I can't comment on alot of the stuff that needs to be said. I do know there wasn't any major breakage, however did you guys have a recovery team and support vehicles in place?

korisu56
05-31-2010, 10:01
Rausch Creek has recovery vehicles that will go pluck out people who can't get out with people in their group

SNAFU
06-01-2010, 08:43
Was just up at RC and they have a bunch of building materials(lumber and Roof trusses) not sure what its for but I do know that they are planning more expansion.

warthog_cj7
06-01-2010, 18:46
Quadratec
They didn't return the 2 emails and the 1 phone call they'd get back to us. Never did, but attempts were made.

Patti/Dave reached out to a lot for raffle items and have some established contacts. We also collected weiner names and item, so she could send "Thank You" letters to the contributors.

I think it was Fred that posted up would be hard for a National Sponsor being hit up by 3 different Camp MJ's. So that is something to look at/ponder.


RC they have a bunch of building materials(lumber and Roof trusses)
Supposed to be a pavilion completed by the fall, sounds like they are a little sooner along. That'll be nice.

Grevus
06-02-2010, 12:54
They didn't return the 2 emails and the 1 phone call they'd get back to us. Never did, but attempts were made.

Patti/Dave reached out to a lot for raffle items and have some established contacts. We also collected weiner names and item, so she could send "Thank You" letters to the contributors.

I think it was Fred that posted up would be hard for a National Sponsor being hit up by 3 different Camp MJ's. So that is something to look at/ponder.


Supposed to be a pavilion completed by the fall, sounds like they are a little sooner along. That'll be nice.

I'll see what I can do, I've wheeled with the admin guy for their boards, he's also the senior sales rep. and alot of the mods on the their boards are ex military. If you guys want I'll reach out to them.

as far as National company supporting 3 different camps. Why not support the club as a whole? One would think that a Company as large as that would want the PR for supporting a organization specificly designed and ran by Military memembers.

jeepinjp
06-02-2010, 14:18
Was just up at RC and they have a bunch of building materials(lumber and Roof trusses) not sure what its for but I do know that they are planning more expansion.



Yea when I inquired early on they said too bad you are not holding Camp MJ in August we will have a pavillion by then... This would be huge for holding a banquet there during Cmp MJ..

Scottie
06-03-2010, 08:04
Has anyone decided on how MJ will be planned for next year, from our discussions above.

warthog_cj7
06-04-2010, 08:36
Has anyone decided on how MJ will be planned for next year, from our discussions above.

From my experience this year. Ya gotta step and take the bull by the horns, drive the bus, and delegate out duties. Not being mean, but the admin(s) run the site and if someone(s) take on Committee/Planning they are more than happy as site alone can take up a lot of time.

Recommend whomever wants to be the driver, get in cohoots with Fred (or other) for the MW MJ event, as there was discussions of a SOP or sorts. Tell the admin what you need, extra section, special priviledges, etc to accomplish the task, they are pretty accomodating to committee needs.

Solicit for committee members and/or query the ones from this years events to layout the preps and results. I can provide a list of all the folks I utilized and I'll help too.

Scottie
06-13-2010, 19:03
I hear ya on this.... i dont want to step on toes.

Liquor
06-13-2010, 22:01
I needed to get everyones pictures from the event (during the event) to make the Camp MJ (Midwest) 2010 video. LoL

still waiting on them