PDA

View Full Version : The day after

jeepinjp
06-10-2012, 10:18
Well after a great day of wheeling and a better night of chow and drinking with some new and some old friends I made it back to the hotel around 0400 with a pretty good buzz on I am formally writing off wheeling today. So if I don't see you guys when I get down there to pick up my jeep have a great day out there and safe rides home..later...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

RobsCrawlin7
06-10-2012, 17:58
It was a good day. This was by far the most costly trip I have ever been a part of. Everything I own with a license plate took a hit this weekend. On saturday, i blew my driveshaft and a front axleshaft or hub. Today on the drive home a fire truck wiped out the drivers side mirror on my truck which i pulled over on the shoulder for. I am pretty sure being on the shoulder of 495 caused me to get a flat tire on the trailer a couple miles down the road.

Just getting home now at about 445 when we left shortly after noon, awesome. I am fairly confident that I took everyone elses fair share of crippling damage and problems this trip minus a pitman arm. I tell you what though, I sure am looking forward to the pictures off of Jeremy's camera!

jeepinjp
06-10-2012, 18:17
you did good. the jeep the tow rig and the trailer all in one weekend.... well at least when you fix it you have a free day at Rausch.. to break shit again......ditto on the pics...

RobsCrawlin7
06-10-2012, 18:39
you did good. the jeep the tow rig and the trailer all in one weekend.... well at least when you fix it you have a free day at Rausch.. to break shit again......ditto on the pics...

thats true, I forgot about that. hell yeah!

warthog_cj7
06-11-2012, 08:47
Damn got the tow rig and the trailer too. Yeah, heck of a weekend for ya. But your smile majority of the weekend told different. Setup on on your rig worked great, other than the shaft issues.

warthog_cj7
06-11-2012, 08:53
My damages waren't as extensive. After got home assessed better. Pass front the rear spring hanger, isn't even attached to the frame, must have been sliding all day Sunday (explains why I couldn't figure out the extra rub marks inside the fender lol). Driver hub blown, which we already knew from Sat, and spit out the driver rear shim. Easy fixes and I'll be back on trail the 16th again.

Still a great weekend. Had a black with everyone.

RobsCrawlin7
06-11-2012, 08:56
Damn got the tow rig and the trailer too. Yeah, heck of a weekend for ya. But your smile majority of the weekend told different. Setup on on your rig worked great, other than the shaft issues.

yeah, shit happens. I am super happy with my setup, I think I have found the one I am going to stick with. Now I am going to start collecting spare parts. since all 4 springs are the same I figure Ill buy a spare, and spare drive/axle shafts and a spare hub or 2. I already have spare u-bolts and plates, and drag link.

My damages waren't as extensive. After got home assessed better. Pass front the rear spring hanger, isn't even attached to the frame, must have been sliding all day Sunday (explains why I couldn't figure out the extra rub marks inside the fender lol). Driver hub blown, which we already knew from Sat, and spit out the driver rear shim. Easy fixes and I'll be back on trail the 16th again.

nice! crazy that you didnt have any more issue from those springs.

warthog_cj7
06-11-2012, 09:04
I started tearing down my original stock leafs yesterday and will build a little bit better bastard pack probably adding a couple more leafs to decrease the axle wrap. Just need the rear to last every weekend till Dec.

PM me your address and I'll drop those shock extenders in the mail.

Scrambler84
06-11-2012, 09:11
I had a blast, think I figured out the front clicking, crunching sounds, think its the tie rod ends from the aftermarket tie rod I have, gonna put stock on it again to test theory and then get new ends, if so new ends run me about 60 bucks, found a lead on a tire for 25 bucks to use as a spare have to see what it looks like. they guy has 2 35 BFG ATs, 1/3 tread or so. Sorry had to cut out around 1500. My few picks are at https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/106571017203513644014/albums/5752460912433056145, yell if the link doesn't work.

jeepinjp
06-11-2012, 10:02

That spring hanger just gave you more droop.....:)
i have a power steering leak which was giving me issues on trail Saturday, and dirt in carburetor.

glad everyone got home ok.. we live to wheel another day..

Scrambler84
06-11-2012, 14:14
Ordered my Diff covers today 2 x 44 covers, 2x lube lockers 265.00 and free shipping from Northridge4x4 can't beat that, new Poison Spyder covers are out for 44s and 7/16 to 1/2 thick.

RobsCrawlin7
06-11-2012, 14:21
Ordered my Diff covers today 2 x 44 covers, 2x lube lockers 265.00 and free shipping from Northridge4x4 can't beat that, new Poison Spyder covers are out for 44s and 7/16 to 1/2 thick.

only thing about those is they are cast. I was going to get the riddlers but went with the ruff stuff ones that are 3/8" plate

Scrambler84
06-11-2012, 14:27
What is the problem with cast iron? My old Solid diff covers where cast and I beat the crap out of them. Do you think they could crack if hit hard enough? ohh do you have my membership card by chance?

RobsCrawlin7
06-11-2012, 14:30
What is the problem with cast iron? My old Solid diff covers where cast and I beat the crap out of them. Do you think they could crack if hit hard enough? ohh do you have my membership card by chance?

yes and yes. dont get me wrong cast diff covers are still strong as shit but i just dont want to chance it.

jeepinjp
06-11-2012, 15:10
Ditto on solid and ruff stuff good stuff,, Dan's a good guy aswell

warthog_cj7
06-11-2012, 15:33
Turns out it wasn't the hub, it was all still intact. It was the shaft, nice clean break right at the lock rite inside the punkin right where the splines start. There was some good twist action up to it. Oh well, That Warn shaft lasted 11yrs, blew the pass one last year. Swapped in the spare Alloy USA long side. Welded the leaf hanger and tighten the rear u-bolts ready to play again till get shims in. lol

RobsCrawlin7
06-11-2012, 15:39
Turns out it wasn't the hub, it was all still intact. It was the shaft, nice clean break right at the lock rite inside the punkin right where the splines start. There was some good twist action up to it. Oh well, That Warn shaft lasted 11yrs, blew the pass one last year. Swapped in the spare Alloy USA long side. Welded the leaf hanger and tighten the rear u-bolts ready to play again till get shims in. lol

yeah im not sure if i blew my hub or shaft yet. as far as those shock mounts, ill try to measure tonight when i get home and let you know if they will work for me.

jeepinjp
06-11-2012, 16:05
that's where they neck down no...that's were they normally break. Worked out then since u had spare shaft.

ZAEP
06-11-2012, 16:41
Great pictures! Bummer about tire, we just replaced one before this trip. Hope we can see you on the trail again.

warthog_cj7
06-11-2012, 21:33
JP, it was 3" from the neck down that broke. They did neck down before the seal.

Sure we'll have another opportunity to see on trail agin.

blart
06-14-2012, 13:38
It was a good time being out on the trails. Next time I will have my jeep. It was nice meeting more jeep addicts, when I get my lil jeep back I will be doing the shake down at RC for sure.

warthog_cj7
06-14-2012, 14:43
Cool let know when going, see if can meet up and give it a good shake down.

JAA
06-14-2012, 23:20
So, I have a little damage. I bent the mounting bracket for the passenger side step. One of the bolts ripped through the mounting hole and the area around the mounting holes is bent. The side steps have been removed. I am a quick learner and I know that since it's broke I need to upgrade. I need rocker rails. Can anyone recommend a good brand? I found some on Craigslist. Mopar for $200. I liked the panel that Theresa and Larry had on their jeep. I am a little confused though. If the rocker rails are mounted to the mounting hole won't the same type of damage occur? The step is plastic and it wasn't damaged. It's the metal bracket and metal jeep frame that was damaged.

RobsCrawlin7
06-14-2012, 23:44
So, I have a little damage. I bent the mounting bracket for the passenger side step. One of the bolts ripped through the mounting hole and the area around the mounting holes is bent. The side steps have been removed. I am a quick learner and I know that since it's broke I need to upgrade. I need rocker rails. Can anyone recommend a good brand? I found some on Craigslist. Mopar for $200. I liked the panel that Theresa and Larry had on their jeep. I am a little confused though. If the rocker rails are mounted to the mounting hole won't the same type of damage occur? The step is plastic and it wasn't damaged. It's the metal bracket and metal jeep frame that was damaged.

I am not a jk owner so my opinions might not apply. I have A to Z rockers and love em. I think Theresa and Larry had Fab Fours rockers. there are a ton of brands out there that make good ones. Just shop around and check em out. Also, consider a tranny/engine skid too.

jeepinjp
06-15-2012, 11:43
A to Z does great work and he is always happy to sponsor us ...Campmj

ZAEP
06-17-2012, 00:52
We will be going back to Rausch Creek next weekend (Friday the 22nd to Sunday the 24th) ... We are meeting up with a couple of guys we met previously at RC. If anyone would like to come and join us, all are welcome:)

Cheers,
Mrs. ZAEP

RobsCrawlin7
06-17-2012, 00:59
We will be going back to Rausch Creek next weekend (Friday the 22nd to Sunday the 24th) ... We are meeting up with a couple of guys we met previously at RC. If anyone would like to come and join us, all are welcome:)

Cheers,
Mrs. ZAEP

I would definitely be there if I didn't have a busted rear shaft :( have fun!

RobsCrawlin7
06-18-2012, 00:48
actually, me and my buddy might be going with his CJ. Not 100% sure yet but I'm working on that :)

Scrambler84
06-18-2012, 08:24
I hate when you bust your shaft.

warthog_cj7
06-18-2012, 12:12

Cheers,
Mrs. ZAEP

If this weekend was open would have joined ya'll. But will be wheeling Fri in NY, Sat somewhere else in NY, Sun somewhere in PA or NJ, won't know where till we arrive lol.
Hope ya'll have fun!

RobsCrawlin7
06-18-2012, 18:58
I also fixed that whole not being able to use my compressor to air up because the rock rings were in the way problem. I ordered a set of these and just got done putting them on. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L9J0VI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

they stay behind the rock ring but I can still easily access them for airing up/down

jeepinjp
06-18-2012, 21:46
and chrome too......:rolleyes:

RobsCrawlin7
06-18-2012, 21:58
and chrome too......:rolleyes:

I guess in this case, chrome does get you home :D. But seriously, you cant even really see em behind the rock rings.

warthog_cj7
06-19-2012, 09:48
If it works, who cares what color...

Scrambler84
06-26-2012, 20:53
got this in the mail today. gonna do one red with black spider and one black with red spider till i figure out which way I like better. 7/16 to 1/2 inch in thickness and ways 12 pounds each.

Outside
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-slX1WDU00_A/T-pIyTjnTjI/AAAAAAAADFY/sN-DgE1b_Gg/s720/PSC%2BDiff%2BCover%2B1.JPG

Inside
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-mp5lj_YnO-w/T-pIyQOSIwI/AAAAAAAADFs/yP7Z9RrSF8M/s720/PSC%2BDiff%2BCover%2B2.JPG

Side on
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-vGtv_2EcAZI/T-pIy3sR_zI/AAAAAAAADFg/bCpvoVZ1Zio/s720/PSC%2BDiff%2BCover%2B3.JPG

Painted red with black spider
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-a4S4YGNL2_c/T-pIzW6cWeI/AAAAAAAADFo/PS1T6mLwO3k/s720/PSC%2BDiff%2BCover%2B4%2BRB.JPG

RobsCrawlin7
06-26-2012, 22:02
black with red spider if you ask me.

I got my soft top fixed for $20! now i need to bend the door surround straight and get a new windshield upright thing. My driveshaft is in the mail and should be here by the weekend too. The jeep is still on the trailer and that makes me feel like marinedawg since his is probably still on his trailer lol

RobsCrawlin7
07-02-2012, 14:32
got the shaft today! The Jeep is drivable again :)