PDA

View Full Version : Camp MJ Middle America Locations/Dates

Fred
05-17-2009, 17:04
OK Guys here is our "official" thread for location/date options for Camp MJ Middle America (Mid West)

So a few options we have are
Moab, Utah Oct
Superlift OHV Park, Arkansas Date?
Southern Missouri Off Road Ranch, Missouri Date?
About 1000 locations in TX, Date and Location ?

Well this is a great site for off road destinations country wide:
http://www.offroadlands.com/parks.asp

Fred
05-18-2009, 18:54
No opinions?

brian613
05-18-2009, 21:15
i don't really have an opinion because i wont be able to go to any of them outside of MO as it stands right now :(..... well i guess that could be my opinion..lol I vote for the one in Missouri :)

korisu56
05-18-2009, 21:22
Isn't Missouri the center of Middle America ;)

Fred
05-18-2009, 21:54
I think it is pretty close and SMORR IS really a great destination and holding an event like this there we can get in touch with Staff EARLY and they may help us out with a price deal, camping spots deals, and trail guides. Not to mention SMORR has on site recovery assistance if needed and 24 hour wheeling

Ghost00TJ
05-18-2009, 22:08
SMORR is a great place to have this, I was trying to let everyone from other states come to that conclusion on their own. But if you look at the map between the Mississippi and the Rockies Missouri is the middle it also looks to be the middle for north and south lol.

Bunker
05-21-2009, 21:43
Texas has a few GREAT options, these are the ones I've been to and can comment on.

Tree's Ranch (http://www.treesranchoffroad.com/) near Kerrville - my favorite spot to wheel so far in Texas. VERY remote, about 30 miles in the boonies. They do have RV hookups and showers/bunk houses. FANTASTIC wheeling! Texas' best imo (been to Katemcy) all levels of trails. great people running the show

Hidden Falls Adventure Park (http://www.hiddenfallsadventurepark.com/) just outside Marble Falls - great facilities and close to Marble Falls, easy to go in for dinner/hotel etc. Like Tree's, awesome people running the show. only downfall is the limited trails, you can run everything in a day.

Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area (http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/) - a Texas Motorized Trails Coalition park near Gilmer - great place to wheel with tons of trails and nearby facilities. 10 minutes into Gilmer for Hotels, dinner etc trails of all levels but no rock (well very limited). the only downfall is the damn red dirt!!! it gets everywhere!

there are a few more around Austin but I don't know much about them.

TMTC is opening a new park around Sonora soon also and should offer some more great West Texas rock crawling.

XJEric
05-22-2009, 00:43
Don't forget about Hot Springs. There is also bridgeport, Tx. sometime in the near future. CLayton, OK or maybe Disney, OK

Fred
05-22-2009, 09:23
Yes Hot Springs is a fairly central location too. Thats where Superlift OHV Park is.

Ghost00TJ
05-26-2009, 16:34
Looks like it pretty much comes down to Missouri or Arkansas. Bunker I looked at the TX ones and they are to far south imo for the northern guys, although hidden falls 3000 acres and trees ranch looked good.

As central as it can be
So I vote for SMORR, MO or Superlift, AR

counting towns and accomidations near by, central to all Central MJ'rs etc etc these 2 were the best imo.

HillBillE
05-26-2009, 17:13
Is there more than one thread about this? Or do my posts keep disappearing? :confused:

I know I posted about it, keeping it central like SMORR for us Northern guys.

TX is a 2 day trip, minimum. MO can be done in a day, day and a half.

Fred
05-26-2009, 17:29
I Agree with Super Lift or SMORR although SUPER LIFT Gets my first vote.

Ghost00TJ
05-26-2009, 17:54
Is there more than one thread about this? Or do my posts keep disappearing? :confused:

I know I posted about it, keeping it central like SMORR for us Northern guys.

TX is a 2 day trip, minimum. MO can be done in a day, day and a half.

i know u did also, lol, not sure where those and all our others are.

so we need a poll for SMORR vs superlift either are a day trip for most I can only vouch for SMORR and it is one of the best around, on site "cafe, food etc" and rv hook ups; hot showers; and A/C-heated shower; towns close by.

HillBillE
05-27-2009, 00:13
i know u did also, lol, not sure where those and all our others are.

Whew! Thought I was losing my mind;)

I already got confused with the 2 "What did you do to your rig today?" threads! ( one in general disc and one in Colo Springs section)

Bunker
05-27-2009, 06:27
I haven't been to Hot Springs yet but a friend I wheel with went this weekend and he pretty much echoes everyone else says... Superlift OHV is awesome. He went as far as saying he wouldn't be going back to Tree's (it's about 7 hours from us to either).

I'm planning a trip in June sometime so I'll give a full report after I've been.

ChaplainC
06-23-2009, 17:42
I did not get to read every post here, but just in response to the opening post, I would highly recommend going to Moab. It is a fun fun place to wheel, and I think it would be a good reason for a lot of folks to come out here when they might not otherwise get a good enough excuse to get here. I recommend you take some time and look at the Chuck Wells books via http://www.funtreks.com/ This guy has, by far, the best books on Moab and Colorado wheeling. Check his book out. I actually helped him by driving him around when he did his book that covers Ouray Colorado. Great guy, and he always goes on trips with the local clubs to get the best info.

Anyhow, yeah, that is what I would vote. Then again I am pretty sure that I will be moving before it happens anyhow. Wish you were going to do it THIS October, then maybe I could go!

brown90
07-12-2009, 17:55
has there been a descion yet?

XJEric
09-26-2009, 23:51
yeah, so where we going?

trailsnail
10-03-2009, 11:51
There was another threads were here (http://www.militaryjeepers.com/community/showthread.php?t=9617) and here (http://www.militaryjeepers.com/community/showthread.php?t=9617). I don't think an definate decision was ever made. If i'm back from deployment in time, I want to go, but I won't know until I get back. If it ends up being in MO, then maybe I could get a school at FLW around that time and it be done on a long weekend. Either way, I will have to wait and see. From everything that I have been reading (not consistently) I think the choises are between SMORR and Moab. Of course eveyone has their preferences and they are primaraly based on their location. I will be traveling from CO if I can make it so either will work. I unfortunately won't be able to help out much if at all becuase of my current situation in the preperation. I think that if a decision is made on a spot, it will help out with all the indecisivness. Since there is a chapter in MO, maybe they could spearhead SMORR. It would be easier than organizing Moab IMHO. In the end, i'm open for what ever. Either way I don't know yet if I can go.

brown90
10-07-2009, 09:21
so r we sticking with moab or switching it to smorr

trailsnail
10-10-2009, 11:43
Kinda seems there are more people (more active) people in the SMORR area. I would say there.

gijoeyb
12-05-2009, 11:00
Seems MO has the most votes... But when?

Ghost00TJ
12-05-2009, 15:04
a sring run would be good, or late spring early summer? That way it's not too hot out.
I really dont care when, just far enough out to get vacation/leave for those that are traveling far to get here.

Irish_Assassin
12-05-2009, 15:16
i agree on projecting the date early... i wanted to go to moab in june with jf to find out that its not even the first of the year yet and all of june there are no available dates. a early heads up will be a big help for me!

demoted_goddess
12-06-2009, 19:04
I'd personally vote for sometime after April 15th so that I won't be officially chained to my desk. It'd be an awesome way to celebrate the end of my first tax season as a bean counter.

Fred
12-06-2009, 20:45
I'd personally vote for sometime after April 15th so that I won't be officially chained to my desk. It'd be an awesome way to celebrate the end of my first tax season as a bean counter.
OK I was just getting ready to say we all know about the Easter Jeep Safari in MOAB, well lets have the Easter Camp MJ at SMORR, Southern Missiouri Off Road Ranch Seymour, MO Easter Weekend

Irish_Assassin
12-06-2009, 21:13
im down with whatever just give me an date well in advance so i can project some leave

Fred
12-07-2009, 06:19
who all like easter weekend? Lets get it rolling

HillBillE
12-07-2009, 13:09
who all like easter weekend? Lets get it rolling

I'll be heading for Moab on the 2nd of April, with my local club:(

But as the wife and I are building a house this next spring, chances are I wouldn't make it down anyway.

I am still planning on the OCT2010 Moab run with MJ though!

Good luck Guys! I'll keep an eye here, if I can swing it I will, but right now I have to bow out.

Ghost00TJ
12-07-2009, 14:01
Easter Weekend may be good because of spring breaks and long weekends, but some travel home to see family. Lets use it as tentative and see how many we can get signed up.

BrockGrimes
12-12-2009, 12:48
Why not something in CO?