Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default help Jeep won't start

I blew out the rear main on my old engine this weekend. I got another engine out of a 96 XJ got it all in and now Im having trouble getting it started. I was feeling prety good when it stayed running a few times but then I realized it was running because the starter was still engaged. The key sticks all the way on start so the engine stays running as soon as you tap the key and disengage the starter the engine dies. Any Ideas?
    Last edited by CrewDawg15/22; 08-04-2009 at 20:33.
    "If it Turns, Burns, Banks, and Rolls Crew Chiefs made it do it."

Experienced General Ass

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2002

Closest Installation

Fort Benning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does the lights on the dash go out to or do they stay on. Are you sure its running or going turning over. If it is running then you know you have fuel and spark. Problem may be in ignition system.

Need more details to give more help. Pay attention to lights on dash. If they go out when the starter disengages then try to turn key to ON with dash lights on and jump the starter and see.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check the CPS on the bellhousing. They get bumped out of whack during engine swaps a lot!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Chiks=Trouble XJ=:) CrewDawg15/22's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hobbyshopass View Post
    Does the lights on the dash go out to or do they stay on. Are you sure its running or going turning over. If it is running then you know you have fuel and spark. Problem may be in ignition system.

Need more details to give more help. Pay attention to lights on dash. If they go out when the starter disengages then try to turn key to ON with dash lights on and jump the starter and see.
    As long as the engine is running the dash lights are off. I can rev it up and put it in drive or reverse and move so yes I am getting fuel and spark but as soon as the key gets moved from start to run the engine shuts off.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HillBillE View Post
    Check the CPS on the bellhousing. They get bumped out of whack during engine swaps a lot!
    I am going to try the CPS since I got one from the Junkyard yesterday. But would it stay running if the CPS was busted. I mean it runs good except for a small vacuume leak from one of the injector seals and the fact that it shuts off when the key goes to run.

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it sounds like the starter circuit is messed up either in the harness or at the key possibly??

seems like you are getting the starter energized to turn over but after the key is placed in run your loosing electric.

I would go over all the connections one more time and double check everything.

what year is your rig could there be a change in the harnesses from your year to the engine your using?
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I just thought about this. When I blew the rear main it was pouring oil out so I kept pulling over and filling it up I was in such a hurry that I dropped an oil bottle between the air cleaner and the radiator support so the engine was sucking oil out of the pcv ports. Could this have screwed up the O2 sensor and will this cause the no start?

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Spangdahlem AB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt that that would cause the no start. I would have to say that I agree with Irish1371. It sounds like there is a problem with the electric that is causing it to shut off when the key gues to run. When the key is in the start position does the starter stay engaged?
    1992 XJ (broke) 3 inch lift, 31" Thornbirds
    2004 Rubi - Street tires and an ugly bug guard

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
    I doubt that that would cause the no start. I would have to say that I agree with Irish1371. It sounds like there is a problem with the electric that is causing it to shut off when the key gues to run. When the key is in the start position does the starter stay engaged?
    Yes it takes it a few tries to get started but ones it starts it stays running as long as the key is in start. I know it is in start because no dash lights are on and the radio is off if you tap the key it falls back to the run position the lights come on but the engine dies.

Would the position of the flywheel have anything to do with it I installed it ligning it up the best I could using the false hole as a guide since it doesnt exactly say this side to #1 I am assuming that since it has 6 bolt holes and there is 3 sets of four cutouts on the ring, that there is a way to install it where it wont time correctly. It is the origional fly wheel that came with the engine not my old one. when I removed mine I marked where it it went but the new engine had no markings.
    Last edited by CrewDawg15/22; 08-05-2009 at 02:59.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Juist turn the key to the on position, then check and see if you are getting 12V at the coil. If not you need to trace back from there and find out why. Most likely that is where the problem lies.

By the way what year and model is this thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by sincitycj View Post
    I got a wave from a compass once. That was sure confusing. I didn't know if I should wave or barf.

Be sure to check out the Germany Chapter Page:

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/chapter/germany/index.shtml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast