User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with gear ratios and pros and cons of 35in tires.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Need help with gear ratios and pros and cons of 35in tires.

Hello, My question is im thinking about stuffing 4:10 's in my TJ. It currentainly sits on 33 12.5 tires yes 6th gear is pointless on the highway as it is. Will 4:10 help me spin 35's ? Should I stick with the 33's and still put in 4:10's or what is the best set up. THAN YOU

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1995 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

33's and 4.10s are a good match IMHO. I had 35's with 4.56s in my YJ and it was like dragging a dead dog from the line.(not like I wanted a dragster anyway.) I would say that if you go 35's, go with 4.56, or just stick with 4.10s and the 33's. My next setup will be 36" SS TSL with 4.88s
    For over 221 years our Corps has done two things for this great Nation. We make Marines and we win battles.
    óGen Charles C. Krulak, 31st CMC, 5 May 1997

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is your tj an auto or manual? I'm assuming it's the I-6 since you're talking about putting in 4.10s.
    If manual I'd go 4.56 and if auto I'd go 4.88

I've got a rubicon auto, if I go 35's on the stock axles it'll get 5.13s.

edit:
    Also keep in mind the jump to 35" tires will probably cost you more than gears. Since you have the X model, that means you've got a D35 rear. 33" tires with an open diff is pretty much the safe limit of a D35 rear end. So at a min, you'd probably want to throw in upgraded axle shafts. Next thing to start thinking about is brakes. If you do a lot of highway/street driving, your braking abilities are going to start going down hill really quick with that large of a tire.
    Last edited by Jeffb_79; 08-07-2009 at 20:26.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1987 to 2011

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4.88 with 35s
    J.R.
    '87 XJ Waggy - D44s, Detroits, 5.38s, 37" Pitbull Rockers

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2001

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4.10 won't help at all with 33's. Maybe with 31's! Rubicons comes stock with 4.10 and 31's! I have 01 tj 5speed, 4.0 ,4.88,35's just right for me.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the acutal "formula" is pretty simple to find out what gears are required to make your Jeep act stock. You will take your new tire size divided by your OEM tire size then multiply that number by your STOCK gear ratio and pick the closest gearset to the number that comes out: ie:

(35/30) x 3.73 (if this gearset applies to you)= 4.35

which really puts you right between a 4.10 and 4.56 gearset (this is with me assuming you have a factory 3.73) 4.10's you will still feel a slight loss of power but with 4.56s your jeep will seem like it has a bit more power but most likely just act more like it has the factory tire size on it
    "Don't hold grudges because tomorrow my never happen!"

"If you live for the weekend, you're missing out on 5/7ths of your life!"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Spangdahlem AB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    Is your tj an auto or manual? I'm assuming it's the I-6 since you're talking about putting in 4.10s.
    If manual I'd go 4.56 and if auto I'd go 4.88

I've got a rubicon auto, if I go 35's on the stock axles it'll get 5.13s.

edit:
    Also keep in mind the jump to 35" tires will probably cost you more than gears. Since you have the X model, that means you've got a D35 rear. 33" tires with an open diff is pretty much the safe limit of a D35 rear end. So at a min, you'd probably want to throw in upgraded axle shafts. Next thing to start thinking about is brakes. If you do a lot of highway/street driving, your braking abilities are going to start going down hill really quick with that large of a tire.
    Think you got that a little backwards. Most people with manuals and 35's go with the 4.88 while most with the auto's go 4.56. I ran 4.88's in my manual trannied TJ and was very happy with the result. I have also driven a few auto trannied rigs with 4.56 and they were about the same as my rig.
    1992 XJ (broke) 3 inch lift, 31" Thornbirds
    2004 Rubi - Street tires and an ugly bug guard

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, don't have it backwards at all. The auto is a dog compared to a stick. Atleast my 42RLE is more of a dog than the NSG370.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, time for my 2 cents. dana 30 front and dana 35 rear are pushing it with 35's. It wont immediatly break anything, but you will have to take it easy. if you are going with 35 just for the look, you should be fine. if you are going with 35's for the offroad abilities, you would be better with 33's if you stick with the stock axles. Now, with 35's you will need 5.38 gears with a 4 cyl, and 4.56-4.88 gears with a strait six if you want to have any power at all. This is of course just my opinion, but i have spent a lot of time doing wrangler axle and gear upgrades fidn this info out for myself. i have went the route of changing gears in the stock axles several times, upgrading the differentials and axle shafts several times and can honestly say for sure that you will want to do it right the first time. Otherwise it can get very costly in the end.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm running 33's with the 4.56 gears and the 6 speed. I glad I went with the 4.56 instead of the 4.10's. I don't use first gear much now unless I'm offroad or towing. When I was deciding on what to go with I found this website a big help.
    http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...alculators.htm It has calculators to figure out your RPM's and MPH in different gears and with different gear ratios and different tire sizes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast