User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which is better base to build from for a DD/trail use veh.???

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • XJ

19 67.86%
  • YJ

11 39.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Better DD/Trail Use Veh??

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Dover AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Better DD/Trail Use Veh??

Hey I am wanting to find out from you guys which you would consider to be a better ride as far as DD and weekend trail use?? I currently have a 1998 Cherokee Sport, and am looking at a 1995 YJ... I am wondering which you guys think is better for wanting to run 33" tires, decent lift and the usual needed upgrades with those... I know I will need at last 4.5" lift with either to even consider 33" tires. My main reason for considering the YJ more is the plethra of extra armor for the body, as I do still need to keep this street legal, and able to drive to work on Monday, can't be missing too many body panels or might be getting pulled over... just wanted to get some input from you guys... Please don't flame me too much, just want to make sure I am starting off with the "best" base to build up from..

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went with XJ. Trail build the YJ like a mofo.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Naval Base San Diego
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dual purpose my XJ. If I was going to do a trail vehicle and a DD I'd buy a car. Not another Jeep mainly because neither are really effective DDs in terms of MPG.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LGPP View Post
    I dual purpose my XJ. If I was going to do a trail vehicle and a DD I'd buy a car. Not another Jeep mainly because neither are really effective DDs in terms of MPG.

The MPG thing is true, but either Jeep will make an awsome wheeler/DD!

I have my '80 CJ7 w/4" lift and 33" tires as my summer wheeler/DD,
    And my '99XJ w/6" lift and 33" tires for my family wheeler/winter wheeler/DD

Both are very capable rigs, with great street manners. I only park the CJ in the winter becuase of the salt they put down on the roads during the snowy season.

Really depends on your needs, both have advantages and disadvantages.

Wheelbase can go eitherway, depending on the trail, obstacle.

XJ's are nice for family wheeling and extended trips, becuase you can fit more stuff in them. (if you have kids, you know how much 'stuff' goes with on a trip )

If you're lucky enough to have one of each, build 'em both!

That way you can have a serious trail toy, and a reliable wheeler/DD.

If you have to pick one, think about the advantages of each, and what would suit you best.

I never thought that XJ's were serious wheelers, until I rode to Moab and back with my buddy Pappy. (Pappy is a Marine Veitnam Vet. He's just not big into forums or computers, or I'd have him signed up here!)

After riding through the trails in Moab in his XJ, I was hooked!

So, pick the one that suits your needs, and get building!

HB

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Dover AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I wish I could afford to purchase the YJ and have both, and build them the way I would want too... maybe one day (way down the road) but am looking more for what is a good base to build off of if I can only have one or the other.... I do enjoy the XJ, and I do already own it... but I know that there are way more parts out for the YJ's compared to the XJ's, and as I mentioned before way more as far as armor and such... I know they both are sort of setup differently... and I do like the coil front end of the XJ, but as I don't have kids, and don't plan too, not too worried about needing way too much room for storage and such... but I understand where you guys are coming from as far as weekend trips, or long trips such as the DE to the Moab, like I plan to make at least once during my life... Thank you guys for your help thus far, and I am going crazy figuring out what I really want right now....

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1971 to 1974

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Xj is roomier to take more stuff on the trail. My last Jeep was a YJ for DD/trail and now the XJ just seems nicer. Maybe because I'm getting old.
    98 XJ trail rig, 04 WJ street Jeep,
    54 Willys truck.
    http://imageevent.com/brownrc/familyjeeping
    http://www.dav.org/

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Dover AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that seems to be the general consensous... especially from people who either currently own both, or have owned one or the other over the years... I am just going to get up with MVC to see what I can work out between my upcoming deployment, and being an FCC after that to get some mods going on it... To make it even more useful, and even more fun to drive!! Thank you all for your inputs on this much debated, and brought up topic!!

usnavymitchells

It is all personal preference. Both will suit you well. I personally want a Wrangler style ride. I have no experience with the XJ although I was trying to get my wife to get the XJ but she wanted the ZJ. Which is also a great vehicle to modify and it gives you even more family/creature comforts.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the biggest thing that you need to figure out is how much crap you carry around. Either will work find for both. Or you could keep the XJ and buy the YJ to build. I like the YJ myself, but I also like to go topless.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just not happy without a frame wheelin', I know & understand alot of people use the XJ for that, it's just not for me.
    Plus I like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohOIXmnMJ7E , haven't seen to many XJ's with rocks.....

Later, T.J.