2000 to 2007

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Diff fluid change?

I am just curious as to how often I should change out my diff fluid. I got an 04' Rubicon and wheel it probably once every two weeks. Sometimes I take a long camp trip and get some good wheeling in. The last time I changed it was over a year ago. Any help would be great.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha.... I change my diff fluid out every other oil change, especially if I go wheeling... definitely if there was any water, differential height, that I drove through.

75w-140 about 2 qts for each diff. Don't over torque the fill plug if you're running the stock covers... they've been known to push into the locker and cause problems.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    Haha.... I change my diff fluid out every other oil change, especially if I go wheeling... definitely if there was any water, differential height, that I drove through.

75w-140 about 2 qts for each diff. Don't over torque the fill plug if you're running the stock covers... they've been known to push into the locker and cause problems.
    are you using lube lockers or RTV?
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got lube lockers on there now, but I was using rtv before.
    I also don't pull the covers each time I change... maybe once a year just to take a look inside to make sure its looking ok.

Clever User Title

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

every few months if I am just light wheeling.

anything pretty taxing I will bump it up a bit.

any time your diff is submerged for more than 15-30 seconds straight it is a good idea.

You have vent tubes on your diff's but if you have them (diff's) good and heated up from working them, and then drop the diff into water, it cools rapidly, therefore contracting the interior parts, fluids and gasses. If your vent tube is at all obstructed, it can actually pull water in through the seals.

Best bet is to drive it 20-30 miles after wheeling, and pull the drain plug, and check your fluid. If it is off colored, smells funny, or is at all opaque change it.

Opaque Gear Lube shows that it has gotten contaminated with water, and the water is basically blended into the gear oil.

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wth Jeff you own stock in exxon? every other oil change? wow. I'd about need a second mortgage to keep up with that

every 40,000 miles or after a submerging or 1 year which ever comes 1st.
    you can vary the time/mileage by taking into account your driving style and type of oil used
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I change oil every 5k miles, and until recent very rarely did I go between 2 oil changes without going on a wheeling trip.
    The one time I didn't change my diff fluids when I normally do.... I found the front diff to be full of muddy sludge. I've replaced to many parts in the past year due to either improper maintenance of the previous owner or me not being proactive.

If you're not wheeling regularly, I wouldn't worry about changing the fluids out that often.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2000 to 2007

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I changed both diffs out yesterday. It has probably been a year since I did it and the oil that came out looked exactly the same as the new oil I put in. Probably went a little long without changing it, but I think every 6 months would be good, unless I drive through deep water for a long period of time.