2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default painting my jeep

ok so i've decided that i can't stand the white on my jeep any longer. i gotta go back to the forrest green of my old one so im gonna paint it. i've never painted a car before but my dad has a professional grade paintgun that we're gonna use. any idea as to how many coats and all that? also, anyone ever painted their hardtop? any info would be great. thanks.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the rig, it depends on the paint you use. But I'd hit it with at least 3 coats.

The hardtop is easy to paint, I used Rust-O-Leum (the kind you brush on) thinned with Naptha, and sprayed it. It's held up great!

You can use regular automotive paint also. Just like the Jeep, proper prep is the key.

Before:

After:

Just keep in mind, if it gets used on the trails, you may want to skip the expensive paint, and go with something thats easy to touch up

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you are going to do it your self I would start off on something easy, like the top, which has some texture to it and will hide your mistakes, before hitting the hood that every one and you will see all the time

Second, I would not use Rustoleum. It is a good product out of the can, but you really want an automotive product that will give you UV protection and not chalk and fade right away. I recommend a urethane based enamel. Also an '04 will have a base coat clear coat system so you want to ask an expert about top coating clear coat, you may need to lightly sand the current finish to prep it and then use a primer designed to bond to the clear coat so you can then top coat it and not have issues down the road with peeling and flaking.

If you do not have a spray gun already and plan on doing this at home I would look into an high volume low pressure (HVLP) gun as it will cut down on the overspray and the amount of paint needed. Just make sure you have an adequate air compressor. THere are electric HVLP systems, but they require a turbine and will coast you a little more money.

It is easy to make a home made spray booth by stapling up some plastic sheeting and if you wet the floor down first it will cut down on the dust.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go with the enamle it wont chip as easily. prep prep prep thats the key to any paint job... that means prime sand wetsand seal and spray" light coats..at least 3, dry, wetsand again then a 3 stage buff.i painted a few jeeps in anordinary garage and i just layed down plastic and sprayed it with water but make sure you got a good respirator or you might have the most psycodelic paint job ever. my brother did all the prep himself and hade macco do the rest on the cheap so if your not sure if you can do it you might wanna go that route but with any project sometimes the outcome isnt as fun as the journey....good luck and throw some pics up when your done

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for all the advice. looks like i have a bit of research ahead of me. i'll def post up pics. thanks again for the advice and more is always welcome.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no advice or wisdom as far as actual painting, just one thing to consider. Use "Paint" or "photoshop" or something similar to see what your Jeep would look like with a painted top. I have seen a few (and not to knock those) to me a Jeep just doesn't look the same with a matching top. A few that I can remember are a red Jeep and a white Jeep. Personally, they didn't look like a "real" Jeep to me. Again, just my opinion but I think it COMPLETELY changes the look of your Jeep.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Green View Post
    I have no advice or wisdom as far as actual painting, just one thing to consider. Use "Paint" or "photoshop" or something similar to see what your Jeep would look like with a painted top. I have seen a few (and not to knock those) to me a Jeep just doesn't look the same with a matching top. A few that I can remember are a red Jeep and a white Jeep. Personally, they didn't look like a "real" Jeep to me. Again, just my opinion but I think it COMPLETELY changes the look of your Jeep.
    here's the thing. i have a white jeep right now with a gray top. i am going to paint the jeep forrest green pearl like my 99 tj before this one. i want to paint the top black b/c the gray just wont look right on a green jeep. i guess i coulda explained that in the OP just didnt cross my mind.