2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation axle swap in progress!!!!! need assistance

OK so Ive decided to go with 35in 0r 37 in tires that much ive figured out. Now I need some help deciding where the best place or vehicle I should rip dana 44's from, or is it easier to build or piece together my own axle. Another thing does anyone have some insight on what to expect when installing dana 44's on my 2006 tj ? Do I need to change out drive shafts ? or anything unexpected I should need to know when driving and four wheeling with them. One last thing is there any special maintenance I need to know? THANK YOU DA4x4ROCKER and one for the road

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1995 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a pair of dana 44s from a 88 waggy I picked up for $350. The only thing I had to have done was throw in new carriers and 4.88 gears, and the spring perches needed to be redone. I just found out that my drive shaft is now too long also. I think if you're set on 44s go find a waggy. It's not going to be as easy for you as it was for me. Just get the right brackets and have someone weld them up for ya.
    For over 221 years our Corps has done two things for this great Nation. We make Marines and we win battles.
    óGen Charles C. Krulak, 31st CMC, 5 May 1997

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

umm dumb question what do you mean carriers? hahaha Its my first jeep trying still learning.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Closest Installation

McGuire AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by da4x4rocker View Post
    umm dumb question what do you mean carriers? hahaha Its my first jeep trying still learning.
    With all due respect,

Replacing your axles is a HUGE job involving cutting, grinding, welding, driveshaft angles, and many other things that I can't think of at the moment.
    Don't go into this lightly and seek the help of an experienced jeepeer/mechanic.
    1980 CJ7 350sbc, T-18, Dana 20

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1995 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cjack350 View Post
    With all due respect,

Replacing your axles is a HUGE job involving cutting, grinding, welding, driveshaft angles, and many other things that I can't think of at the moment.
    Don't go into this lightly and seek the help of an experienced jeepeer/mechanic.
    You are absolutely correct. Didn't mean to come off like it was simple. Just less work when you're dealing with a leaf sprung jeep then one with coils. BTW... all the work I am having done is being done for me since I'm OCONUS by a guy that build rigs. Definitely seek the help someone that knows how to set up axles.
    For over 221 years our Corps has done two things for this great Nation. We make Marines and we win battles.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1997 to 2003

Closest Installation

Redstone Arsenal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is a big task swapping axles i got my rear when solid axle inc. was running a special for awhile the front was from a 77 f-150 i had EMS offroad narrow and put on the brackets the gears and shafts and arb i assembled myself ems also put the track bar and steering arms together there is alot of planning that has to go into it definitley not a weekend quicky goodluck
    02 TJ 5.5 RK LA ,HD 44's f&R, 4.88, ARB's, 1"BL, 37" bfg km 2s, AA sye woods shaft, 2.5" custom catback, home built rocker guards & rear bumper, warn front, 1 ton steering setup, custom track bar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cjack350 View Post
    With all due respect,

Quote Originally Posted by Marine_mike View Post
    You are absolutely correct. Didn't mean to come off like it was simple. Just less work when you're dealing with a leaf sprung jeep then one with coils. BTW... all the work I am having done is being done for me since I'm OCONUS by a guy that build rigs. Definitely seek the help someone that knows how to set up axles.
    Quote Originally Posted by xena warrior View Post
    it is a big task swapping axles i got my rear when solid axle inc. was running a special for awhile the front was from a 77 f-150 i had EMS offroad narrow and put on the brackets the gears and shafts and arb i assembled myself ems also put the track bar and steering arms together there is alot of planning that has to go into it definitley not a weekend quicky goodluck

I am in the middle of a 3/4 ton axle swap nearly everything changes underneath. If you have your front flex too much you may need hydrolic steering at least a new steering set up, driveshafts, parts for doner axles, gears maybe, Many hours of labor.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2005

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one more thing to think about is a tj is a driver side drop and a waggy D44 is passenger side drop I think you need to get a ford D44 You could go out to TexPro 4x4 in lampasas talk to Sean he is a good guy that will answer an questions you might have and he builds some nice riggs

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1995 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spydertj View Post
    one more thing to think about is a tj is a driver side drop and a waggy D44 is passenger side drop I think you need to get a ford D44 You could go out to TexPro 4x4 in lampasas talk to Sean he is a good guy that will answer an questions you might have and he builds some nice riggs
    I have to correct you on the waggy front statement. Front Wagoneer's were passenger's side drop Dana 44s from '74-'79 and driver's side drop from '80-'91. They measure 62" wide. '81-'84 had a vacuum disconnect (much like the jeep dana 30) front axle that is not desirable. '74-'77 had a flat top knuckle, very desirable.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by da4x4rocker View Post
    OK so Ive decided to go with 35in 0r 37 in tires that much ive figured out.

anything unexpected I should need to know when driving and four wheeling with them.
    My first question is what kind of wheelin are you planning to do with your rig??
    If you are planning a rock crawler first, then trail/mud second you will need to rethink axle size, especially with 35-37" tires. One good grunt with the skinny pedal, and snap. Even double your odds if you install a locker, or lockers.
    I would recommend Dana 60's, but then again, I would rather have a vehicle to handle the torque requirements of my rig, than be a parts changing/road block.

Later, T.J.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast