1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Clunker facelift - long story.

Yesterday one of my Soldiers came by my office and asked me if I was still looking for parts for my 90 Comanche that Im fixing up. I said 'A few yeah'. Then he told me about a Comanche and several Cherokees at a local dealership that had been traded in for the Cash for Clunkers program. He said I ought to go by and ask what was going to happen to them and see if I could get a few parts.

I went by and what I found almost broke my heart. A thrashed but rust free restoreable 88 Comanche, a beautiful one owner 95 Cherokee that looked brand new, and several nice XJ's, ZJ's and WJ's, along with about 75 other vehicles.

I went into the dealership and spoke to the manager. He told me that no parts could be taken off any of the vehicles, the engines had to be destroyed by pouring sand in them while running, and that the vehicles were to be picked up by govt contract junkyards that could not pull any parts and had to crush/recycle them.

He saw the look of utter dismay and disgust on my face and asked why I wanted to know. I told him that I was fixing up an old Comanche and could really use some of the parts off the Comanche and the nice Cherokee if they were just going to be destroyed. Then he said 'Nobody will see you over there - take any small parts you need and put the old parts off your truck back on so the go to the crusher with all thier parts.' You cannot take anything major or go inside them, dont be over there more than a few minutes.'

I got the complete grille, and headlight surrounds off the Cherokee and a licence plate light off the bumper of the Comanche. I was glad to get what I got, but still drove away feeling bad knowing that others could use the bed, tail lights, rear bumper, and tire winch off the Comanche and knowing that Cherokee was going to the crusher. Sure wish I could have at least pulled the doors and mirrors off of it.........
    Last edited by JeepinSoldier; 08-18-2009 at 08:29.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Is scrounging for parts dmaxjeep's Avatar
    Arlington, VA - Silver Spring, MD / AL / MDW

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1989 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

makes me sick.
    and to top it off, the dealers are having a hard time getting paid for the "clunkers".
    Fox news just ran a thing on it this morning, the dealers were supposed to be paid withing 10 days of submitting but they are getting the paperwork back denied for reason not listed (section blank).
    1990 YJ, Sold

1998 TJ, traded

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Dover AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So explain to me how a WJ falls under a clunker rule for this program... I think that is complete BS... I mean I think crushing them all is complete BS... if you leave theme in a yard so at least the good parts could be taken off of them, so they can be used to keep other vehicles from becoming clunkers.... I mean I went by a friend of mine's dealership, and there was a nice 99' Cherokee, one owner, and a nice one oner TJ there, both traded in with the cash for clunkers program... I got told if they don't get paid by the government, that they would let me either get parts, or get a good deal to purchase them both whole...

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the government doesnt want them on the road anymore for whatever reason. it sucks.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Pork - the one you love! tomsjeep's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1995

Closest Installation

Camp Robinson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by afjeep View Post
    the government doesnt want them on the road anymore for whatever reason. it sucks.
    The reason is they want you all in a Prius. While they and their rock star friends will still be ferried around in big, black armored SUVs.
    We are infringing on their status symbols.
    2007 Liberty, Black, 245x70r16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor "Miss Libby" (I didn't pick the nick)
    2002 Wrangler Sahara, Black & Tan, 31x10.5r15 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, ARB Bullbar, etc.
    Bristol (Sailstar) Corsair & 2 kayaks.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsjeep View Post
    The reason is they want you all in a Prius. While they and their rock star friends will still be ferried around in big, black armored SUVs.
    No... they want gulfstream G550s.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsjeep View Post
    Yup part of thier evil plan. Fricken liberals.

Well Ill NEVER be in a Prius. They will have to come and take my Ford Excursion diesel, 10 mpg lifted - armored LJ, and the Comanche by force.

If fuel gets too expensive Ill convert the LJ and Manche to diesel and make my own fuel from used french fry oil!!
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

I am a chapter of one sincitycj's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Alot of the dealerships around here have stopped destroying the motors because the govt. is taking so long to pay them, some haven't been paid from the begining of this crap program. Most are scared that by the time the govt. gets around to looking over the paperwork the program will be out of money and they won't get paid. At least then they can resell the "clunkers".
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

http://www.sincityrubs.com/

Hiding in plain sight jeepfever's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wait a few years and watch what happens to the price of fuel as more and more economical cars hit the road. Those of us still driving gas guzzling dinasaurs will be priced out of being able to drive them.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly screaming -- "WOW! What a Ride!""

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2004

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is just a damn shame. I think I may swing by our local dealer and see what they have there. Wish they would give some of the salvage yards a shot at them before they destroy the engines and send them off to the crusher. At least we would be able to recycle the parts if they were at a salvage yard.
    '04 TJ Sport
    Bunch of stuff stuck to it from Auto Zone.

'07 Dodge CTD QCSB
    AFE Intake, MBRP Exhaust, Smarty, TRE Trans, little turbo that whistles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast