User Tag List

Thread: Automatic Transmission Problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Automatic Transmission Problem

My 93 YJ will not stay in one gear once I get to the speed that it should shift out of 2nd gear. It is like it does not know exactly what gear it needs to be in. If I put it in 2nd gear and drive it does fine but when I put it back in drive same problem. I have notice that the shifter does not sit on the indicator correctly (i.e. reverse is just a little to the left of the R.) I was talking to a fellow jeepester yesterday and he says that my model of Jeep had electronic shifting and he believes it is in the electronic part.

Now I can work on pre-technology based cars without a problem but I am not sure with the electronic shifting if it is something that I should be messing with.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

TBird

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automatic Transmission Problem

if i were you i would study up on the tranny you have electonic shifting in a 91 does not sound right but who knows

this might be a dumb ? but is your fluid low
    2012 kawasaki Teryx4

Sold-85 CJ7, 6 inch lift, siting on 36's, welded rear, lots of drain holes

Sold-93 YJ, 4.0,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexCJ7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if i were you i would study up on the tranny you have electonic shifting in a 91 does not sound right but who knows</div></div>

Mine is a 93, does this make a difference?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexCJ7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this might be a dumb ? but is your fluid low </div></div>

Not a dumb question. I know it leaks transmission oil but I have been watching it and adding as needed.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not sure about the early 90s but almost all auto trannys jeep or not use the fluid presure to shift the gears i just got rid of an 84 xj and when the fluid got low it would rev up to a high rmp to shift don't quote me but i don't think it is electrecal you need to get a repair manual and check that out it should have troubleshooting in the front of it
    2012 kawasaki Teryx4

Sold-85 CJ7, 6 inch lift, siting on 36's, welded rear, lots of drain holes

Sold-93 YJ, 4.0,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your answer. I will be going to the store today to buy the manual. I had already planned on doing it but just haven't yet.

Thank you again for your help.