1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My budget jeep wrangler instant trunk

I wanted to be able to have a sort of trunk space that would perform two functions. One, I wanted to keep some people from walking by my jeep and easily stealing some of the tools and other small gear that is in the back of the jeep while it is parked at work, in my driveway or another location. Two, I wanted to have something that should we roll the jeep, all the stuff in the back won't turn into little pieces of flak and injur my daughter or my wife.

So, while I was at the Belvoir Auto shop one night, Jeb (muddyluxury) used this diamond plate looking stuff that was in the scrap pile to make headlight covers for his jeep. That gave me the idea that I may be able to make something for cheap for the back of my jeep.

Well, many hours later, below is the final product. I cut the cage-like material to fit contoured inside behind the back seat of the jeep. I plan on welding three bolts on each side of the tub so that I can just set it over the bolts and use washers and nuts to hold it in place. I marked the location of where the bolts will go with the green arrows.

I also had to cut a hole in the material to fit the strap for the car seat for our kid.

When I was done cutting, I used that rubber stuff that you use to coat tool handles to coat the metal. I then took some small diameter black water tubing and slit it down the middle and used zip ties to hold it in place around the cage.

Right now it is just set in the jeep, but I hope to have the bolts welded in place before the next trail ride. I know that someone told me I could add some metal to it to make it sturdy enough to set gear on, but for what I intended, the current design is fine and cheap.

Metal = FREE
    Garage Time = couple of bucks.
    Rubber Coating = 12 bucks.
    Hose for edges = 2 bucks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1970 to 1976

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neat, I like it. I like the idea of having someplace more secure to place some items. Also, now that you have had those pack things on the back of your seats for a while, how do you like them? I'm a pack rat my wife says. No room to store items in the Ole Jeep. I recall your write up when you got them...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seat covers are nice, but could have got away with just one seat cover. That is a lot of storage space. Also, it is not really the thing that you just start cramming stuff in. I have been adding stuff as I realized that I used the stuff often or may need it in a hurry on the trail. I think right now I have some black tape, zip ties, usually have a flashlight clipped on the gear holder. 100 MPH tape, 550 cord, and some little stuff that is not worth dragging everything out of the back to dig through just to find.

The best pocket is the big one near the bottom that will hold like 6 bottles of water. That is more convenient than having to dig under the seats to find the ones that fell off the seat and rolled around while on the trail.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is some cool stuff....
    If it can't be fixed with 100 MPH tape, 550 cord, zip strips, and a hammer it can't be fixed

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool idea and with the diamond pattern in it, you can prolly also tie down back packs and stuff to the top if you want.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1992 to 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good idea. I may work off of that for my own rig when I do the bed area.
    Hunka Hunka Burnin' Junk!
    reno4x4.com wt4x4.com

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see a few more pics of how you fastened it in once you finished it. Looks sweet.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice...I like when people come up with their own aftermarket stuff. I too would like to see another pic...perhaps one the the tailgate opened?

How do you like the G.E.A.R. seat covers? I got the same ones from Smittybilt in black...haven't seen them yet, but am looking forward to checking them out when I get back to the States.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have some new pics at home now. I strapped the pioneer tools I bought down to the top. I am going to herculine the interior, so right before I do that I have to have Fort Belvoirs Master welder (notarubicon) help me weld some bolts inside the tub to use to hold it down. Right now it is just strapped down.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2001 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool idea. I never have more than one person in my Jeep with me, so I just pulled the rear seat, but if I had to, that's a great solution! I used to have the 'lock box' trunk separator, but didn't like it much and sold it, this is cooler!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast