Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Keep my yj or buy a rubi?

ok so heres the deal. i bought my 95 YJ with a 3.5 lift and a 3" body. its my first wrangler but not my first jeep so its my baby. the engine was replaced along with the starter and clutch and other things that needed to be replaced along with it. its in alright shape ive done so much work to it but its still not trail worth. its always breakin when i take it out ha. im in iraq right now on my second deployment and really want a jeep for the trail so heres the question. Should i spend the money for the YJ which would be about 6000 in parts
    -suspension
    -rear 8.8
    -front and rear lockers
    -4.88 gears
    and extra armor like tube fenders and corners rockers and maybe wheels

or should i try to get a rubi for around 15 grand or 20 with it already built to go?

the engine only has about 3,000 miles on it. i just feel like i cant sell it for what its worth (TO ME!) so maybe i should just keep dropping money into it or should i just buy the Rubi and maybe keep the YJ for the GF or for an extra vehicle.

Im just stuck cus i have to have something that keeps up with my buddies on the trail but i cant lose my YJ if i dont have to

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

team stinkfist member blackbetty's Avatar

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Pics!

The Only Think I Can Think Of That Are Not In The Pics Are The Litedot Led Tail Lights And The Warn Bumper W/tire Carrier. Aaaannndddd Prolly More Stuff

Check Um Out And Let Me Know What You All Think

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ryanwhiteaker/

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1995 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my .02. As a YJ owner, and someone who's also in Iraq I can tell you this much....
    I understand that while you are here, you have nothing but time to sit and dream of everything you want done to your jeep. You want it done... and you want it done now. Take your time. Think of what you want, and prioritize your list. The fenders and corners should be the last things on the list. You have a good looking rig. I would keep that, and learn to do things yourself. Do you have a SYE kit on your 231? That would be my first mod. With an 8.8, you'll need a new driveshaft too. Yes, a ready built TJ or JK would be easy, but the cost will be allot higher. I personally prefer the YJ due to the fact that there are less electronics involved. Anyone that owns a jeep knows that it a well built jeep is never finished. Take the time while you are deployed to gather information and decide what you want to do.
    For over 221 years our Corps has done two things for this great Nation. We make Marines and we win battles.
    óGen Charles C. Krulak, 31st CMC, 5 May 1997

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha i totally hear ya. i've got my list of builds and upgrades to put on it and the YJ is ready to be built. its always just been a matter of funding. i just dont want to put more money into the YJ when i could have put it into getting a RUBI and having a more reliable jeep

its either spend the money on a rubi and put the lift and bare min upgrades needed for now. or dump a ton of money in the YJ. Either way im only spending a little more going the rubicon route i think. plus i can always keep the YJ as my little DIY project to learn on

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you looking for a trail rig or a daily drive weekend rig?
    I've got a rubicon, and with the money that I've put in it already I'm beginning to wish I had bought a commuter car and a late model yj as a trail only vehicle.
    I say, you've got the YJ, build that to your liking. It's got a newer motor in it already. The money you'd put into a rubicon will end up being more than what you'd need to make your yj trail worthy.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    I say, you've got the YJ, build that to your liking. It's got a newer motor in it already. The money you'd put into a rubicon will end up being more than what you'd need to make your yj trail worthy.
    I agree 100%.... Plus if you buy a stock Ruby you will end up mod it some more...

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess i more want the rubicon because i want a newer ride but something that i dont have to do much to to have it on the trail. i just hate the fact that with the YJ im always replacing something after it breaks (rephrase-- its always breaking). well i have a car traveling anywhere i need to go. the rubi would just be a trail rig as well as an around town rig. (at least not alot of highway)

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take your time and build the YJ to what you want. I just recently added a Ford 8.8, lockers and regearing 4.56. Wheeled it this weekend without any problems. Also figure out what you want to do with the YJ. Trail rig or some daily driving. The Jeep is built to what you want it to do. Make a plan and start building. Just my .02 cents...
    Last edited by Loosedog; 08-19-2009 at 17:43. Reason: Just my .02 cents
    4" RC lift, 1" BL, 1" MML, 1 1/4" Shackel lift and 4 hard working squirrels pushing 33's..
    Dana 30 up-front w/Aussie locker
    Ford 8.8 in the rear w/an Elocker
    4.56 gears all around..

Team YJ
    http://www.mvcustoms.com/ Rob is the MAN!!
    www.virginiakrawlers.com
    www.4x4him.org

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yj bro
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the big plus was that i already had the lockers and the D44's. i have a rear 8.8 ready to swap but i want to run 35's with the new lift. im worried that the front D30 wont be able to take the abuse with 4.88 gears. also im still debating on whether to do a RE SOA with 1.5" springs or or a RE 4.5" with new 2" BL.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast