Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default might need some help on parts

ok so it looks like we might be keeping the YJ. since thats the case i might as well start looking for parts. just a few questions to start

ok so i have my 95YJ 4cyl. D30 front and i have a 8.8 ready to swap for the rear and want lockers in both. i want to get at least an ARB for the front but not sure if i should get another one for the rear or maybe something else. my confusion is on the whole spline issue. i found lockers but they had them for different splines and im not sure where to go from here. i'll have about a 6-7" lift and running 35's with 4.88 gears. im looking to replace all the shafts in the axles if that helps.

also if you know of anywhere that i could get a great deal on the lockers or even the gears and shafts that would be great if you could let me know.

thanks for your help guys!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the super 88 for the 8.8 sisnce your planing on upgrading axles and they are 28 or 31 splines, and 27 for the D30.... You know what donor vehicle that 8.8 came from??? that will help with the spline count issues...

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the 8.8 came from a late model explorer it should be 31 spline.
    If you're on a budget, the aussie should work great on the 30. I would get something selectable for the rear though.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I concur with above i have the aussie and upgraded shafts in my front and it works great with 35's. And I would deff get a selectable in rear so you dont drag threw turns.
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

team stinkfist member blackbetty's Avatar

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone know of any good deals they've seen on um?

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK YOu are somewhat duplicating a build I did a few years ago so I will throw out my 2cents from experiance.

Provided its an Explorer 8.8 with disk brakes you are going to be running 31 spline shafts. If you are only running 35's avoind the urge to spens money on shafts for the 8.8. A 31 spline 8.8 will EASILY hold up to 37's so 35's is no sweat. OK got that covered. Make sure you use a full carrier locker in the 8.8. I used an ARB, but a detroit (non-selectable) or OX would work just fine. Reason for this is the carrier houseing in the 8.8 is a weak link. A this time I would tell you also avoid the urge to do a Super 88. I have 2-3 reasons for this. Number one reason is the S88 requires you to modify the axle and makes stock shafts useless. Why is this an issue? Simple, Spares. Running stock shafts you can have spares for about $35-$45 with the S88 you are looking at $200-$300 for spares. Second no need for the Chromo shafts on 35's. Next you will hear the 8.8 is narrower than the D30. It is by less than an inch don't sweat it. And finally when the 8.8 is built make sure the axle tubes are welded to the center and use a good HD diff cover like Solid this will really tie the whole unit together.

Now the D30. Heres and easy one. If possible first run a High Pinion Axle. Second. Avoid the urge for the Super 30 kit for the same reason as above spare shafts cost a small fortune. Yes it is a 30 spline front but it runs the same UJoints so Wala weak link. I ran a S30 in my TJ and it was my bigest regret in my build. OK so what for shafts then? A good set of 27 spline Chromolly Axle Shafts, Costly yes, but you won't break them (for what its worth my XJ is on 35's and I have stock shafts and I am NOT easy on them) the benifit to running 27 spline shafts is your stock shafts just became trail spares. Also if you are running a YJ or vacume disconnect shaft (2 piece) then upgrade to TJ type shafts. OK on to lockers. You will hear a million times over run a selectable locker up front, that will be right till you ask me. Run an auto locker up front. With a Selectable you will find it unlocked more than locked because you bet bound up off road and it makes it almost impossible to steer.

Alright. I don't think you were asking about lifts but rather than 6+" spring under you can reuse your stock springs and do a Spring over axle conversion. With the stock springs srung over you will net 5"-6" over right now. Then you can add a 1" Body lift and easily clear 35's (OR no BL and do tube fenders frnt and rear you will clear them too)

Finally 4.88 gears on 35's will be ok with the 4cy but you find out you want more all though you cannot get it out of the D30
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

team stinkfist member blackbetty's Avatar

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

fred you are awesome! all of you guys are, really. i was planning on doing a SOA with 1.5" springs. the idea of bouncing around on 6" springs just seems ridiculous.
    i do have discs on my 8.8 so i do have 31 splines. thats def. a good call with the shafts i was planning on just upgrading the front shafts and leaving the rears because it would be easier to get replacements and for the front i would have an extra set. no super kits for me.
    i just have to start shopping for lockers, gears and shafts now and start finding some some deals.
    I fell like i need to go with an ARB or OX locker in the front because i will get to frusterated not being able to make turns when i need to if my non selectable locker engages randomly.
    its still half and half for the rear though. some people say put a selectable in the rear as well but should i really spend the money or just get a non selectable. plenty of time to think though thats for sure

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    fred you are awesome! I fell like i need to go with an ARB or OX locker in the front because i will get to frusterated not being able to make turns when i need to if my non selectable locker engages randomly.
    its still half and half for the rear though. some people say put a selectable in the rear as well but should i really spend the money or just get a non selectable. plenty of time to think though thats for sure
    Thanks but I know...LOL

Seriously DO NOT GO AUTO IN THE REAR UNLESS YOU GET A DETROIT!! The Carrier on the 8.8 WILL fail and it will destroy your gears in the process. I have seen it happen twice on the trails and once in a driveway

As for the front your not going to lose much turning radius and by the end of one days wheeling you won't even notice it anymore
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Blackbetty is this a trail rig only build? I missed it if it was stated some where. If it is I agree with everything that was recommended, however if this is also your daily driver I would not use anything but a selectable locker, ARB, OX, Eaton up front.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1995 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go with a detroit on the rear. That's what I ran. Minimal squealing in turns (mostly in the parking lot) Plus the ability to chirp the tires when letting someone know they are going too slow in front of you.
    For over 221 years our Corps has done two things for this great Nation. We make Marines and we win battles.
    óGen Charles C. Krulak, 31st CMC, 5 May 1997

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast