Served
    2004 to 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Cherokee Axle Swaps

Hey everyone,
    Just wondering what anyone out there has done to swap axles on there Cherokee. I have a 1999, and was looking to upgrade mine. I have a Dana 30 4.10 in the front, and Chrysler 4.10 in the rear. I don't even know if they are stock axles. I want to do lockers in at least the rear axle. I don't know a whole bunch about this stuff so I wanna know what folks out here have done. I am looking for minimal work, but it being worth while. Seems as switching to an axle off of a Ford Explorer is a popular one for the rear, since it matches up well and not modifications are needed. Disc brakes give you more stopping power as well.

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 8.8 is a simple swap for an XJ but look for a bolt in XJ D44
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Chrysler 8.25 rear end is a decent axle already. Are you going to regear? What tire size are you running? Are you looking for an auto locker, or selectable? If I were to throw a locker in there, it would be an Elocker. But they are like 800 plus labor for install . You can get an auto locker (aussie or lock rite) for under 250 plus install. Not too bad. Will this be street driven, or primarily trail truck? Budget?
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The axles you have are stock (D30 front & Chrysler 8.25 rear) and are good axles.

You can also adapt D35 Disc brakes to the Chry 8.25 real easy, just get everything from the donor axle (calipers, lines mounts, rotors, e-brake cables)

Plus the D30 in the '99 is high pinion.

I'm running 33" TSL's on my '99 (same axles) with the rear welded into a 'Lincoln Locker' (not my first choice, but it was welded when I bought it)

They're holding up great!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am looking to save money if I can, but I would rather get something that I will not stand the chance to break easy. I only plan to drive this on the road to get to trails, ect. I have 35in tires. I got this Jeep from a guy on another forum website. I will just copy paste all the info he had posted about it because I am not that mechanical when it comes to vehicles, but I am learning. I only ended up paying $4000 for it by the way. Since then I have added the roof rack, new shocks in the front, rock sliders, and bar pin eliminators. I removed the sway bar and the links all together since I rarely drive it on the road.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    Desert Sand Pearlcoat
    Camel and Black interior.
    PW, PD, PM, CC, A/C, Roof Rack.

$6500

4.0---197K miles, no leaks, new timing set, plugs, RMS, FMS, oil pan gasket.
    AW4---no leaks, cherry red fluid, new filter in 02/08.
    NP231---no leaks, SYE, smooth shift.
    D30 front---4.10, open, 297x u-joints, new inner axle seals and u-joints. Brake pads and rotors are 1 year old.
    8.25 rear---4.10, open, no leaks. Brake shoes are 1 year old.
    Front suspension---
    4.5’’ Rusty’s coils w/ 2’’ RE spacers minus stock isolator. 5.75 lift. Rusty’s shocks w/ stem adapter.
    Custom y-link longarms, Johnny joints at the frame and at UCA junction. Poly LCA axle end. Rubber UCA axle end. Custom high clearance crossmember. 4-grade 8 ’’ bolt and nuts mounting.

Rear suspension---
    4.5’’ RE leaf springs w/ 1.25 RE shackles. Cage offroad shocks.

SS front and rear braided brake lines.
    Appalachian Armor transfer case skid.
    Mopar fuel tank skid and nut strips.
    Draw-Tite 2’’ hitch.
    Husky complete floor liners. Both front, full rear, and cargo boot.
    Sony CDX-GT310. MP3/WMA playback, w/ remote.
    Hayden 405 transmission cooler. Bypassed factory cooler.
    Clean cut front fenders, cut and fold rear fenders.
    JKS quicker disco's
    48’’ Hi-Lift
    Fire extinguisher
    Handheld CB

Front custom tube winch bumper. Grille hoop and crossmember hoop.
    Superwinch LP8500
    Hella 500’s

4--15x8 , 4’’ BS, Crager soft 8’s, 35x12.50 Pro-Comp mud terrains 85% tread left. Pacer chrome center caps.
    1—15x8, 3.75’’ BS Crager D-window, 35x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R spare, 40% tread.

Clean southern Jeep. Garage kept. Zero rust. Cracked exhaust manifold. Was a 2wd, converted to 4wd using 98 transmission and transfer case with 120k miles. Uses two front XJ drive shafts. New u-joints at both yokes. Been offroad twice. Aligned at Mike Crye Alignment in Cleveland, TN. Best alignment in town. Drives great going 70 on the interstate, spins 2300 RPMS. Speedometer is 1-2 MPH off per GPS. I’ve gotten it to 90 MPH with no fear. I’ve gotten 17 MPG driving up from Tennessee with the cruise at 70 MPH. looking to do something else.

The bad just came up, front transmission seal and power steering pump pulley seal. they both started leaking this week. Power steering only leaks at full lock. Both should be fixed soon. Will for sure be fixed prior to sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CallmeColt; 08-25-2009 at 20:43.

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HillBillE View Post
    You can also adapt D35 Disc brakes to the Chry 8.25 real easy, just get everything from the donor axle (calipers, lines mounts, rotors, e-brake cables)
    I like this idea. So all I have to do for this, if I decide to keep my stock rear axle is get a Dana 35 rear axle, and take all of the brake parts off of it? Any sort of modification that needs to be done? Know of any "how to" kind of things around?