User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left the top off in a down pour...

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS Beaufort
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Left the top off in a down pour...

Yesterday it rained pretty hard and my top was off, Now its all musty any tips on how to get that smell out..? Im pretty sure its cause my seats got soaked. Thinking that they just need to be shampooed...
    "Look, when I was a kid, I inhaled frequently. That was the point." -Barack Obama

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sucks.
    I would say lots of sun light and febreeze.
    Do you still have carpet in your jeep? If so, water will stay trapped under it for ever, pull that out and hang it up some where... then hit it with more febreeze.
    Looks like thunderstorms in the area today and tomorrow... I'd probably keep a good eye on it if you leave it uncovered over the weekend.

Color Blind Trail Guide TJ 4 the Boxers's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Def. pull the carpet. Keep an eye on your dash electonics. Clock Springs are known go bad due to moisture. You could run the AC to help take the moisture out.
    '01 TJ 4 Banger--2" BB w/OME, 1.25 BL, 1" MML, 33" Trxxus, Disco's and Skids.

www.njjeep.org

If it's not a BOXER , it's just a DOG!

Rob

Pork - the one you love! tomsjeep's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1995

Closest Installation

Camp Robinson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pull the carpet, air it out, mop up any leftover water.
    Your seat... do you have seat covers on their or is it stock cloth fabric? You'll want to get them dried out as best as you can... the seat frame rusts out. (not from one time, but over the life of your Jeep it's going to happen again, or at least it has to me). Besttop makes an inexpensive cotton/vinyl coated seat cover that is waterproof, fits like a glove and wears well (I've had a set on mine for more than 7 years now, and they still look good). If I were you, I'd get some wp seatcovers on next chance you get.
    2007 Liberty, Black, 245x70r16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor "Miss Libby" (I didn't pick the nick)
    2002 Wrangler Sahara, Black & Tan, 31x10.5r15 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, ARB Bullbar, etc.
    Bristol (Sailstar) Corsair & 2 kayaks.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

febreze works well but it just masks the smell so on a hot day with your top on you will still smell it. best bet is to pull your carpet and shampoo it and let it dry completely before you put it back in...and just in case buy some carpet fresh and vaccume it up
    " if you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you are reading it in English, thank a Soldier"

I READ TODD DID

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfect time to Herculine the tub. Then you dont need to worry about wet carpet again. I had a leak where the top meets the body and soaked my carpet in a nasty down pour. Ripped the carpet out and havent looked back. Lining the tub was easy and relatively inexpensive.
    IF YOU ARE NOT LIVING FOR SOMETHING, THEN YOU ARE DYING FOR NOTHING!!!!!
    www.hrja.org
    www.oathkeepers.org
    www.ufwda.org
    NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH
    Consensus National Champions: '24, '29, '30, '43, '46, '47, '49, '66, '73, '77, '88
    Shared National Championships: '19, '20, '27, '38, '53, '64, '67, '70, '89, '93

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1999 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rip out the carpet and Herculine it. 1 Gallon kits at autozone are around $90 with mil ID. Seat covers are a good future preventative but in my opinion Wet Okoles or neoprene of any style suck. The hold the moisture in the seat cover for a long time. Try to find vinyl then you can wipe it down with a cloth and you are good to go.
    A simple misunderstanding gets a lot less simple when you add choppers and a SWAT team.

Pork - the one you love! tomsjeep's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1995

Closest Installation

Camp Robinson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WILLTAKE View Post
    Rip out the carpet and Herculine it. 1 Gallon kits at autozone are around $90 with mil ID. Seat covers are a good future preventative but in my opinion Wet Okoles or neoprene of any style suck. The hold the moisture in the seat cover for a long time. Try to find vinyl then you can wipe it down with a cloth and you are good to go.
    Lots of people do that. However, some of us (especially up here in the cold nawth) prefer the little bit of insulation the carpet provides.
    I also have an intense dislike for the stench of neoprene. Smells like a funky lockerroom to me. The Besttop covers I mentioned are vinyl coated cotton, and are waterproof. I've had to keep a sponge in the Jeep to bail the puddles out of the seat in the past.
    2007 Liberty, Black, 245x70r16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor "Miss Libby" (I didn't pick the nick)
    2002 Wrangler Sahara, Black & Tan, 31x10.5r15 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, ARB Bullbar, etc.
    Bristol (Sailstar) Corsair & 2 kayaks.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1998 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this almost happen to me just a few days ago. i took the top and doors off because it was a beautiful day, but then texas happened and the rain started coming. i hauled butt home and put it back together 45 seconds before it started pouring!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2009 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya i dont even put my top on, it gets rained, snowed, etc... everything and for some odd reason its never mildewed, smelled or anything idk with carpet and everything, maybe some odor powder just sprinkle it in there after its dried out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast