Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool 318???

All Jeepers,
    I have a 90' wrangler with a 2.5L. I NEED MORE POWER!!!
    I would like to be able to do some off roading when I want to, but mainly I will use it as my daily driver. Some times I need to drive long distances in the mountains faster than 70 MPH.
    I am looking at putting in a 318. I thought about just a 4.2, but my buddy says if you are going to do an engine swap you might as well go big. I am afraid if I put in the I6 it won't be enough after a while.

I can get a 318 to rebuild for $200. Does any one have any suggestions or tips. I don't want to hear any opinions about how the 318 may be inferior unless it is backed up by facts. I know I will need to get a new tranny and T-case and I am going to put in Dana 44s. Money is a concern, but not so much that it will stop me from getting what I want.

Thanks for you input,
    Roman

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Closest Installation

McGuire AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why a 318?

A small block chevy would be easy to find and the swap has been done a billion times so there is more than enough info. The aftermarket parts support is extensive as well.
    1980 CJ7 350sbc, T-18, Dana 20

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing aginst small block chevys, but the 318 is the 5.2, I believe, and that was used in the ZJ model a lot. Should be able to get an engine and matching tranny/Xfer case from a junk yard pretty easy.

Then just have to fab the mounts.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Closest Installation

McGuire AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airforce26yrs View Post
    Nothing aginst small block chevys, but the 318 is the 5.2, I believe, and that was used in the ZJ model a lot. Should be able to get an engine and matching tranny/Xfer case from a junk yard pretty easy.

Then just have to fab the mounts.

Yeah, but if you get a 318 from a ZJ chances are you're going to be stuck with a sub-par transfer case (np249) and tranny. With a 350 adapters have already been made for most engine => tranny, and tranny => transfer case combinations.

For example, I have a SBC in my Jeep with a T-18 tranny and a Dana 20 TC. Thats a pretty good combo and all of the adapters to put it into a Jeep can be bought from one place.

Actually.... here http://www.novak-adapt.com/. Look over this site extensively before you make any decisions. There is tons of info on engine swaps for Jeeps. Lots of info on trannys and TC's as well as what will fit with what and why one is better than the
    other.

From the Novak site:

We get asked occasionally what our opinions are of the Mopar V8 swaps into Jeeps. Some individuals think they must be easier since Jeep is now a Chrysler company. The swaps are not as intuitive as this would suggest, and on a whole, it is usually going to be easier and more economical to install a GM V8. 318 and 360 swaps into Jeeps are not as well documented and Chevy and Ford V8 swaps, the interest and momentum is rising and a body of knowledge is deepening on the subject. These good engines and worthy of consideration if you have one of these engines on hand. The installer should keep in mind that these engines, while affordable, do generally cost more to install and to work on than the Small Block Chevy and Ford counterparts. For those who understand and are comfortable with these good motors, this is usually not a significant setback.
    Again, there is nothing wrong with a 318, they are awesome motors (and apparently hook right up to an np435 tranny which is epic) but it's just cheaper to get parts for SBC and the swaps have been done a bazillion times.
    Last edited by Cjack350; 08-30-2009 at 10:00.
    1980 CJ7 350sbc, T-18, Dana 20

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much for all the info.. I really didn't expect this much help in such a short amount of time. I am going to strongly consider a 302. I already have a 318 picked out at a salvage yard. I am going to go on monday to see if he has any Chevy or Ford V8's.
    I will keep posting
    thanks again

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cjack350 View Post
    Yeah, but if you get a 318 from a ZJ chances are you're going to be stuck with a sub-par transfer case (np249) and tranny. .

They used a lot of 242's also. I currently have a 242 and I love it. But on a side note, I do not do any hard core wheeling.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric