Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips or SSRs

I need to replace the Dick Cepek FC IIs that were on my jeep when I bought it. They are great on the highway but suck offroad. Am looking at the Parnelli Dirt Grips in 35-12.50 or the Swamper SSR/TSLs in the same size. Anyone have experience with either of these? They are going on a daily driver that gets offroad every time I get the chance. The FC IIs are pretty much helpless in mud and I need a tire that is good on highway and off.............Any other ideas?
    Last edited by cknx77; 04-20-2008 at 13:47.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have ProComp AT's and they work great on and off road.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I checked out the Pro Comp AT tires online and I think I need a bit more aggressive tread. The Pro Comps look comparable to the Dick Cepeks that I am running now...... I have been doing a lot of climbing on very steep dirt trails. Maybe the Goodyear Mud Terrains would work....I am fairly new at jeeping and am looking for the best options. Thanks for the reply
    Last edited by cknx77; 04-22-2008 at 03:38.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check these out. Good price for BFG MTR throwbacks. 699 for five before shipping.

Tires

Jeepmadman has these and say they wear and balance great. I was going to get retreads for 500 bucks, but for 200 hundred extra I can get darn good tires too. I had BFG MTR's when I was on 33's, and regret getting rid of them.

EDIT: I only mention these because you started mentioning other brands. Sorry if it's not what you're looking for.
    Last edited by korisu56; 04-22-2008 at 07:25.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is an awesome price for decent MTRs. I'll look into these.
    Last edited by cknx77; 04-22-2008 at 08:27.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1982 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had 37 inch ssr's...there were great...even at highway speeds
    81 Scrambler, 5.7 vortec efi,4l60e dana 300, spring over, high steer, spooled dana 60 front.. gm 14 bolt rear with detroit locker..twin stick dana 300 41 inch iroks...
    ”Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.”
    Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

"This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn."
    the last words of a true redneck "hold my beer and watch this!!"

does this guy ever wheel? Hitechredneck's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you play in nasty mud alot stay away from the MTRs they are more a rock tire. I love mine but i avoid the mud like the plague only because i think it no fun ...lol What kind of places do you wheel and what are the trails like? size you are looking for? and what is your thoughts on noise and vibration issues. this might help narrow down the tire list that i have had. And be able to point you IMHO at which tire to look at.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been wheeling at Timber Ridge Ranch in Castana, IA. Went last Oct while on leave and had a blast! They can be found at www.peelout.net. There are some pics on their site and lots of info about them there. I belong to Dakota Jeeps www.dakotajeeps.com which is a local SD club and wheel at Timber Ridge with them. There are a lot of steep dirt climbs with very few if any rocks and a deep mud pit to play in. Thanks for the info on the Super Swampers. I need a 35 12.50 and may be able to fit a "short" 36 12.50 under the jeep with the 6" Fabtech longarm lift that I'm running. Again, thanks for all of the info. I'll try again to put some info and pics on the readers rides forum but all of my pics seem to be too big.....The avatar pic is of my jeep now with the FC IIs on it at Timber Ridge. Can put up with some noise but am not a fan of vibration from tires......I have 2 jeeps, the 03 pictured and an 08 Rubicon, but I can't convince my wife to let me lift the 08........She says its hers and she likes it the way it is...............
    Last edited by cknx77; 04-22-2008 at 13:39.

does this guy ever wheel? Hitechredneck's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the deep mud ya the mtrs will suck. but on the dirts climbs they will be great as long as it is mostly dry they are a great tire. As far as anything from interco it has been my experiences (TSL, Truxus MT, boggers, SX, Irocs no ssr's) that they are not a well rounded tire and take alot of weight to balance out. And come out of balance easy with alot of road miles. The truxus was the best for road/trail out of all of them. My friend back home runs a set of Micky MTZ he swears by them and they go everywhere. They are a smaller 35" tire 34.4 or something close to that when he first go them. I ran BFG MT and they were a great mix tire the problem i had was i blew out 2 sidewalls, there pretty weak on the rocks but great trail tires and pretty good in mud but they didnt like driving on the road in the rain due to lack of siping. BFG AT was the same but better on the road but any mud and they would not clean out and became a slick. I have not had any experience with either of the tires you listed. But for what it sounds like you want to do from what i can tell is that the best tire i have had experince would be either the truxus mt if you dont mind vibes sometimes and the amount of weight to get balanced. Or the BFG MT and have them sipped at discount tire or something like that. they last a long time and are a good all around agressive tire. Now if you dont mind spending a little more cash then the toyo MT is all the rave right now at rubicon owners forum. Many people have them and say they walk on water. Great everywhere thick side walls low weights to balance and drive down the road like a dream. The best price i have found on them is online at www.treadepot.com with free shipping. I have not tried these tires yet. But they are the number one recommended tire on that forum. Hope this long ass blab about tires has helped.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1982 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have had good luck with the interco radials...the bias not so much...that being said one of my 41's took 12 oz to balance
    81 Scrambler, 5.7 vortec efi,4l60e dana 300, spring over, high steer, spooled dana 60 front.. gm 14 bolt rear with detroit locker..twin stick dana 300 41 inch iroks...
    ”Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.”
    Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

"This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn."
    the last words of a true redneck "hold my beer and watch this!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast