Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 90' YJ 2.5L to a 318 for Dummies

Hey All,
    When I say for dummies... I MEAN for dummies. I don't know JACK about engines... displacment.... what to call different parts and pieces.
    Anyway, I bought a 318 from a nearby salvage yard for $200. I don't know what it came out of, but it was still attached to an automatic tranny. Like I said I have no idea what I am doing so anyone that has any suggestions I am more that open to them.
    I plan on keeping it a daily driver and I would like to be able to drive 75 to 80 on the highway and still get decent gas milage... ish. I would still like to be able to off-road a bit here and there also. I know with a V8 won't have any issues with power, the trouble is going to be having power and gas milage.
    Here are some photo's, more to follow. If anyone has Tech advice about boreing or stroking or whatever else can be done please let me know... specs and expected results would be nice... Keep in mind I would like to save gas.
    Peace out,
    Roman

Photo 1 Is right after writing the check
    Photo 2 is the end of day one tear down
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rodog; 09-02-2009 at 22:39.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Labor Day

Ok, so labor day weekend I didn't get much done. I went in and finished tearing myengine down. It is waiting for the Acid Vat right now, it will sit there for about 3 days to make it all new and shinny.

The one thing I can say is that if you are going to tear down an engine you need to do it around someone that has done it before. I learned little tricks about taking out the freeze plugs and what all needs tobe removed.

I am sure anyone that is on here has already done this stuff so if anyone has any questions they would like to ask a rookie... maybe someone who thinks they know less than me... I can give a very simple, none technical answer.

I will post more pics soon... probably when it comes out of the acid... I know you can't put aluminum in the acid, but it is going to be so easy instead of having to scrap all the crap by hand.
    so now I wait

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a cat with skills that amount to not knowing JACK about engines...good luck with this Bro. HUGE set of 'nads for jumping right in. I'll be watching this build thread...again, best of luck Bro.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1994 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck with this.. I have done every imaginable motor swap to a jeep (except diesel).. They are never easy, they cost more than originally planned, and you find something new every time..
    Heroes never die, they just reload!

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so I just found a 1980 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton with Dana 44 front and 60 rear with a 318 and a 4spd tranny. I was really hoping for the NV4500 tranny, but I will use what I can get. I am picking it up for $500 tomorrow and hopefully the will have everything I need or at least a lot of it. The only thing it doesn't have that I know of is a 4 barrel carb, but everything else I am going to use. I will post some pictures as I get them.
    Right now I am STILL waiting on my engine cause the guy that put it in the acid hasn't been around.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advanced Adapter makes A motor mount conversion for the engine swap. I do know that with the right gearing,tire size and carb you can get 22mpg. This was done on a full size truck with 40's

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You still working this swap? If so, check out speedway motors befor you build it completely. They have great stroker kits for the 5.2...great power for a Jeep.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damnit, wrong site...it's speed o motive:

http://www.speedomotive.com/ps-611-1...1992-2003.aspx

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

should be interesting, you should be able to learn a lot! Sometimes thats the best way to learn.