Served
    2004 to 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Winch troubles

Hey everyone,
    Was using my winch to get myself out of the mud today, and my winch seemed to jam up. Not on the cable, but the motor. I would hit the switch to bring it in, and nothing. Same with it to go out. My buddy tapped it with the back of my hatches and it slowly started to reel in again. Had to tap it every time I stopped. And ideas on how to fix this? Or is it just my winch going bad?

I have an 8500lbs electric winch. Superwinch LP8500.

It is not that old. I got it Spring 2009 on my Jeep when I got it, and the owner said it only did 2 pulls. From the looks of it when I got it, he wasn't joking. Looked brand new!

Thanks for the help.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like it's probably a solenoid going out. You can order new ones from the winch manufacturer. Pretty simple install, just make sure to wire the news ones up correctly.

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I contacted Superwinch about getting a replacement. They don't list it on their online store. Before I order, I am going to open it up and make sure not mud or anything got in there.

Clever User Title

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when it is not spooling, have you tried bypassing the solenoid to see if it will spool?

there are write-ups all over on how to do this with some screwdrivers (safe)

if it will turn by screwdriver method when control doesn't work, solenoid.

if it doesn't motor might be on the way out.
    Lunatic4x4.org

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume it stopped while you were winching? Were you winching hard? How badly stuck in mud and specs on the jeep? How often did you break or was it a steady pull? How long of a pull?

My guess would be either solinoids bad or it over heated.

Have you tried it after sufficiant time sitting?
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2004

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think one of the keys here is that it does it in forward and reverse. if it is a series wound motor it uses 4 solenoids. for it to do it in fwd and rvr you would have to have 2 solenoids going bad (not likely). first thing i would check is ALL of the connections including the ones in the controller. especially check your grounds.

my .02

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scumby View Post
    i think one of the keys here is that it does it in forward and reverse. if it is a series wound motor it uses 4 solenoids. for it to do it in fwd and rvr you would have to have 2 solenoids going bad (not likely). first thing i would check is ALL of the connections including the ones in the controller. especially check your grounds.

my .02
    X2. Ground should be common in all ops, fwd and reverse while solenoids may not be, but I'd have to look at a schematic.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7
    7,000 mi and counting on the TBI 258
    DUI, Np435, Twin Sticked D300, Locked Waggy D44s
    4" SUA with homebrew spring outboard
    37" siped swampers with some other nifty bolt-ons.

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scumby View Post

my .02
    All the connections are good because it did not stop 100% at first, it just slowed down. I first had the issue when letting the spool back out after pulling. Then, the last time I used it, it started going real slow forward after winching, and then taking a break. I used it just enough to get the Jeep out, then parked it for like 20 mins. When I came back, it would do nothing until I hit the side of it with a hammer (not hard). My buddy told me to do it as it would free up the solenoids. It worked and I was able to get it all spooled back in, but it was slow. Haven't used it since, but if things go as they have been, it will only get worse next time I use it.

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I assume it stopped while you were winching? Were you winching hard? How badly stuck in mud and specs on the jeep? How often did you break or was it a steady pull? How long of a pull?

My guess would be either solinoids bad or it over heated.

Have you tried it after sufficiant time sitting?
    Pull was not longer than 50ft. I stopped every 10ft or so for a bit to check the temp of the winch, and it was not that hot. I had one side of the Jeep over the tires in mud and the other was not to deep. Attached is a picture of it. That is my buddy standing on the Jeep, not me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2004

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you say all the connections are tight but did you physically check them? another thought may be that your mounting bolts are loose and the winch is binding as you first suggested. does it free spool freely? if all else is good i guess it is time to disassemble. ensure everyhting is properly lubricated. if you decide to get into the motor side of things make sure the commutator (the copper segmented part) is clean. possibly some water got in and has interfeeed (sp) with the connection between the brushes and the commutator. the commutator should be a chocolate brown color. i typically use a scouring pad to clean them. hold the scouring pad around the commutator and rotate it until it is nice and clean copper colored.

one other thing, if you have the winch clutch in free spool and you hit the switch does it turn the motor, slow, fast or not at all. no load test i guess you could say.

al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast