Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need Wrangler advice

I'm a connesseur of CJ's. However.........I've got an opportunity to get a '91 Wrangler (Sahara) that's only had a few minor mods done to it. I don't think the Jeep has ever been offroad, and it's basically stock. It's still got the stock suspension although the bushings and hardware have all been replaced. In fact, all the rubber on the whole Jeep have been replaced. This Jeep has been meticulously owned and maintained by a good friend who is anal about maintenance. The best mod is that the tranny was replaced about four months ago with a new NV3550 (why, I have no idea. That's a lot of transmission for someone who will never have a need for it).

For all you square headlight fans, what is your opinion of the Wrangler? What should I look for that might differ from the CJ's?

What are good mods that would make this a decent vehicle that would be capable of driving to Colorodo or somewhere on a whim just to do a little moderate wheeling?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly screaming -- "WOW! What a Ride!""

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say it depends on price. If it's in as good of shape as you say, I'd go "why not?" and just pick it up for being a good deal. Is it a 4.2, 4.0, 2.5?

YJ has a bunch of similarities with the CJ, but quite a few different ones as well.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If its a 6 cylinder it would be the 4.0 HO. They stopped using the 4.2's in the YJ's in 1990.

To the OP: If the price is right, I'd buy it up. One advantage of the YJ over the CJ is the fully boxed frame. Its also got a fuel injected engine. Plus everyone knows real Jeeps have square headlights.
    Prepared for the Zombies

91 XJ, 4.5" RC Long Arm Suspension, 35" BFG KM's on black steelies, Ford 8.8 rear, D30 w/Aussie, AA SYE, Custom bumpers, JCR Rock Sliders, Rusty's gas tank skid

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MetViper View Post
    Plus everyone knows real Jeeps have round headlights.
    Fixed it for ya

To the OP.... I'd say go for it. Sounds like a nice jeep.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just drink a beer then lift and lock it
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Hiding in plain sight jeepfever's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's got the 4.0 in it. He had it "ported," but I don't know what that means for this particular engine. As for picking it up, that's a no-brainer for me. I'm just not sure what I can do with it performance-wise. I don't want to get radical with it and start changing a whole lotta stuff. I'll do that to my CJ. I'm really excited by the shape that this thing is in, though - especially since it's virtually an unmolested stocker.

Quote Originally Posted by tickwomp View Post
    just drink a beer then lift and lock it
    These stock axles are the Dana 35 and the M-20, right? What are the issues with them?
    Last edited by jeepfever; 09-06-2009 at 19:05.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly screaming -- "WOW! What a Ride!""

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it'd be Dana 30/35. You're going to get a huge debate about the value of said axles.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll be the D30 front and D35 rear.
    If you're not going crazy with it you'll be fine.... sounds like you plan on keeping it pretty close to stock anyways.
    The D30 is a pretty decent axle and will run 35's with no problem.
    The D35 is just a time bomb on large tires. If you're not running anything larger than 33's with an open carrier you should be fine.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed the 30 is great, the 35 can handle being locked and on bigger tires as long as it is geared approprietly- although it's not ideal
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a fan of the "square headlight" jeeps. Granted they had some design flaw(DANA35!!) but overall jsut a newer version of the CJ with a better frame. The fuel injection is a bonus over the carberated older CJ's. If you already have a jeep designed for hardcore stuff, I would recommend a simple approach to this jeep. maybe along the 2.5-4 inch standard spring lift and 31-33's. Make sure you get a good set of springs on the lift since the cheaper ones have horrible ride and flex. I would personally suggest rubicon express springs, I've had several companies stuff under my jeep and feel the springs they have on thier extreme duty kits are by far the best ive dealt with. In any case, if you stick with the stock axles I would NOT go over a 33" tire. So, buy it, and enjoy!
    95 Wrangler, 2.5 4cyl, Built Dana 44's, 37 Boggers, no strait body panels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast