1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Prepping a Jeep for Deployment

Ok, I know it is a little late for me and I should have posted this like 4 months ago, but I figured it would help someone else who may be rolling out for an extended period of time and may have someone to drive the jeep around wihle they are gone and perform routine maintenance or may not have anyone and the jeep is going to sit there for a year or so.

Any ideas? I know putting it jacks is one option, but that may not be an option for everyone.

I am lucky, my wife can drive it around every once in a while, but I basically got a new battery since the old one was dieing if i let the jeep sit for a week or more, i put that gas treatment in the tank and i took stuff out that may get soggy and mold if water happens to get inside such as my tool bags and some straps i had laying on the floor in the back.

any other things people can do (or i should have done)

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a vehicle is going to sit best case is to drain fuel, drain oil, put straight antifreeze in the radiator. Either remove or at least disconnect the battery. Leave it with windows up and plce moth balls in the cab, engine bay, and cargo areas. This will keep mice out. And best case put it up on jack stands.

If it has a part time driver, other than maybe diconnecting the battery it shoudl be fine as long as started and maybe driven once a week
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i found out the hard way...DO NOT park underneath a tree for a yeah (unless you like that realtree cammo patern)
    " if you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you are reading it in English, thank a Soldier"

I READ TODD DID

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Peterson AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

x2 on drain the fluids and jack stands
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    I am officially a Huge Steeler's Fan!
    97 ZJ Murdered Out! (SOLD ), 5.5" Clayton L/A's front and rear, 242 swap, HP30 & 8.8 w/ 4.88's & Eaton ELocker's F/R, 35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar.

Grand Cherokee Owners
    http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...php?groupid=44

Hiding in plain sight jeepfever's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooh, great thread. I don't have answers, but I can point out some things that happened to my CJ when I went to Germany. My brother-in-law was supposed to drive it as well as my Bronco, but he didn't. They both sat for two years, didn't move, and weren't started.

1. The exhaust on the Jeep had to be replaced because it rusted out due to moisture sitting in the pipes.
    2. The 35" Ground Hawgs (almost new) had major flat spots on all four of them from sitting with low air in them.
    3. The brakes were seized and rusted from sitting with the E-brake set. They had to be completely rebuilt before I could drive it.
    4. My brand new Bestop soft top was ruined because of tree sap. The covers I bought for both vehicles were safely stored inside the vehicles.
    5. My six KC Daylighters were completely covered in rust and had to be tossed. I should have removed them.
    6. The interior became a home for small critters. Moth balls would have helped.
    7. The distributer cap and rotor needed to be cleaned before it would start.
    8. The fuel tank had moisture or water in it, so I had to drain it and replace it with good fuel.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly screaming -- "WOW! What a Ride!""

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How pissed were you at the in law?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In addition to the mothballs leave a box or baking soda in the cab, if possible do not engage the parking bake....

Hiding in plain sight jeepfever's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    How pissed were you at the in law?
    That was 17 years ago, and I'm still not over it. The kicker is that I put him on my insurance so that they wouldn't just sit. I asked him to drive both vehicles regularly. I slso asked him to wheel the hell out of the Jeep and just fix whatever he broke. He let me down. Not only that, about a thousand dollars worth of tools were missing out of the Bronco, and it cost me $1,200 smackers to get both vehicles road-worthy. Ugh....in-laws!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly screaming -- "WOW! What a Ride!""

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepfever View Post
    I slso asked him to wheel the hell out of the Jeep and just fix whatever he broke. He let me down.
    Next time you leave the country hit me up.....I'll wheel the HELL outta any Jeep for you
    "Don't hold grudges because tomorrow my never happen!"

"If you live for the weekend, you're missing out on 5/7ths of your life!"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1977 to 2002

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure all fluids are as fresh as possible, definitely add some Sta-Bil or equivalant to tank & run for about 5 mins, top off brake fluid, DO NOT ENGAGE EMERGENCY BRAKE unless you want to come home and fight with a rusted stuck cable -NO fun. If possible remove tires or raise high enough to get tires off groundto prevent flat spots. Friend lifted his from frame to take weight off suspension. Disconnect battery or attach a Battery Tender. to prevent some little furry creaures from making a home out of exhaust if possible stick a rag with moth balls or rubber ball in tail pipe.
    '17 Rubicon Recon JKU in Gobi w/3.5' JKS lift & 37's
    '11 Mango Tango 6sp Rubicon Unlimited = Traded In
    '09 Sunburst Orange JK Unlimited X = Traded In
    '82 CJ-7 = SOLD (why why why)
    BUT I CAN'T BE OVERDRAWN...I STILL HAVE CHECKS!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast