2000 to 2007

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replace Coils???

So I have an 04' Rubi. It has a 4" pro comp lift. It is an extremely stiff and noisy ride. What I am looking for is something that is a bit more flexy and giving, and hopefully less noisy. Would replacing the coils help this out? I have es9000 shocks on it, but I not sure replacing those would do anything to help. If replacing the springs would do the trick, what brand would be the one to go with?

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm running the currie 4" springs with rancho rs9000 adj shocks... I can make it as stiff or as loose as I want. There's still noise, I think you're going to get that with any vehicle that's lifted, it's not bad though.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the procomp gear is rough riding, so yes finding some new springs and shocks should do the trick. the RE springs are supposed to be nice, a few other companies as well have softer riding springs too.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 2004

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How old are these springs? How often have taken your rig off-road? In my experience new springs will end up with some sag. The time frame varies for every set of springs. For instance I had a set of RE springs 3mo and one offroad event. I am curently running IRO springs that have taken twice as long and 5 trips. Before you go and replace the springs get then rig out and flex the crap out of it. The noise may not be your springs. 4" on short arms is pushing it. This set up can be run but will give you a harsh ride. Did you install the lift? You might want to crawl underneath an try to tighten all the hardware and check for worn parts. Keep in mind this is a jeep.
    2003 Rubi with 6" lift rolling 37's w/ beadlocks, armor for effect. Constant state of change, its a jeep thing!!

SOLD - 5.9 Grand with TNT Long Arms, KM2's, HP30 w/ARB & WJ Brake Conv., Rear 44HD Trussed & Skidded, 231 w/SYE, TW Drive Shafts & Custom Sliders

RIP: 2004 Rubi: 3" lift on 33's

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I agree with Shadow, if you still have your stock control arms they maybe be binding with 4" lift springs causing the noise. The stiffness could be the springs being new, or just being stiff. AEV offers tuned springs, Teraflex will sell you just springs and so will Old Man Emu (sold through ARB here), but if you are looking for more flex I would also look at doing longer control arms, at least on the bottom to begin with.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2000 to 2007

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    How old are these springs? How often have taken your rig off-road? In my experience new springs will end up with some sag. The time frame varies for every set of springs. For instance I had a set of RE springs 3mo and one offroad event. I am curently running IRO springs that have taken twice as long and 5 trips. Before you go and replace the springs get then rig out and flex the crap out of it. The noise may not be your springs. 4" on short arms is pushing it. This set up can be run but will give you a harsh ride. Did you install the lift? You might want to crawl underneath an try to tighten all the hardware and check for worn parts. Keep in mind this is a jeep.
    I installed the kit myself, and it has dropped pitman arm, new track bars, sway disconnects, new lower control arms (not long arms but longer than stock). I put the kit on May of 2008. I off-road often. At least three times a month and in the last two weeks I did Chinamans Gulch here in CO, and the three of the hardest trails in the Telluride area. It is broke in. The noise is a creaking type and is coming from the springs even occuring when it is hardly flexed (such as washboard roads). I am very familar with my vehicle's undercarriage (doing all maintenence myself, to include basic preventative maintenence, such as making sure everything is tight and in working order).
    Last edited by the_expo7; 09-09-2009 at 18:48.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 2004

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This won't help you much with the rough ride but may help with the squeak. Hose down the top and bottom of the springs with PB, deep creep or some other kind of penetrating oil, not WD-40 because it will dry out. Start with one side then the other. This will allow you to isolate the problem. Also check spring mounts on the top side for any signs of cracking. I not insulting your knowledge of you jeep well I mentioned taking a look underneath. I to spend time making sure everything is in order but I have chased problems from time to time. Hell I've got a problem with mine right now! Do you now anything about electrical?
    2003 Rubi with 6" lift rolling 37's w/ beadlocks, armor for effect. Constant state of change, its a jeep thing!!

SOLD - 5.9 Grand with TNT Long Arms, KM2's, HP30 w/ARB & WJ Brake Conv., Rear 44HD Trussed & Skidded, 231 w/SYE, TW Drive Shafts & Custom Sliders

RIP: 2004 Rubi: 3" lift on 33's