Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default lifting a rubicon, need tips

I have a 2004 rubicon. I'm wondering if there are any issues with standard TJ lift kits for rubicons due to the dana axels. Anyone out there lifted a rubicon and have any pointers or recommendations for kits? I have my eye on a rugged ridge 3" suspension lift or a skyjacker 2.5". Looking for ease of install, my tools are limited (no acetlyne torch, not comfortable drilling/cutting).

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for a typical bolt on short arm lift you shouldnt need to do much if any drilling/ cutting. as it says it should just be bolt on. you can talk to the retailer and they can tell you if there is any cutting. also before you buy you can go to the manufacturer's website and find the instructions and look through them to see what it entails. i have an 04 rubi as well and im waitin to put a 4 inch Rock Krawler long arm lift on it. that one has quite a bit of cutting and such.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rubicons will lift just like any other wrangler, nothing "special" needs to be done to them just because of the 44's. You just get the benefit of a slight re gear from the factory with the 4.10s
    "Don't hold grudges because tomorrow my never happen!"

"If you live for the weekend, you're missing out on 5/7ths of your life!"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure what's involved with either of those lifts.
    With a 3" or lower lift, you probably won't need a new rear drive shaft.
    I would get atleast rear adj control arms if they're not included with the lift.
    Make sure it comes with a track bar relocation bracket for the rear, and you'll probably want an adjustable track bar for the front.
    You won't have to worry about a t-case lowering kit if it comes with the lift.
    You may want to do a 1" motor mount lift (helps with drive line angles). If you do that, I'd probably go ahead and do a 1" body lift at the same time (will off set the mml, so you won't need to worry about t-case linkage adjustments or moving the fan shroud).

Common problems with the rubicon are similar with other TJ lifts. If you get death wobble afterwards, make sure everything is torqued down good. If you're buying a tire/wheel combo, make sure to get a good balance done (even if it comes balanced from the distributor). And make sure to get an alignment done afterwards.

Access Army Times Editor Navy-Jeepster's Avatar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2010

Closest Installation

NAS Lemoore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have lifted an 04 TJ and an 05 Rubicon with the Rubicon Express 3.5 inch Super flex lift kit.
    No cutting was required, as everything bolted into place.
    this is a nice kit, and highly recommended for those that do not want to go extreme.

I am able to run 35's on my 04 and have also added a 1 inch body lift and motor mount lift.
    This year, I also added the GenRight tube fendors. These made it easier to stuff the tires at full flex.

Todd
    Retired Navy after 26 years.
    BlueRibbon Coalition President
    Life member of Cal4Wheel and BlueRibbon Coalition
    www.accessarmy.com
    Access Army Air Warrior and AAT Editor
    Supported by:
    Raceline Wheels - Monster beadlocks
    BFGoodrich.
    Currie Enterprises - F9
    Hi-Lift Jack, Advance Adapters

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If I recall the Rubicons have a differant rear drive shaft set up and doing a SYE is not needed when you lift them...the only other issue on some of the more exotic lift kits is the front brackets maybe be for a Dana 30 so you need to tell them you have a Rubicon and they should get you the right stuff. THe more basic lifts this will not be an issue.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Travis AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SGM O View Post
    the only other issue on some of the more exotic lift kits is the front brackets maybe be for a Dana 30 so you need to tell them you have a Rubicon and they should get you the right stuff. THe more basic lifts this will not be an issue.

Your D44 has the same brackets as the D30.

No longer a newbie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips fellas. Will post pics when i'm done.

Clever User Title

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SGM O View Post
    If I recall the Rubicons have a differant rear drive shaft set up and doing a SYE is not needed when you lift them...the only other issue on some of the more exotic lift kits is the front brackets maybe be for a Dana 30 so you need to tell them you have a Rubicon and they should get you the right stuff. THe more basic lifts this will not be an issue.
    true. no SYE is required on Rubicon..

a better drive shaft with something like a double kardon is still a good idea.

i have 4"SA lift with 1" BL/MML, haven't swapped out the rear DS yet and it still runs fine. this is on an 06 Rubicon..... run 35's with pretty much no rub at full articulation

new track bar (adjustable) is a good idea, but not absolutely required. at 3" you are starting to get to a point where you will need to re-drill the axle side bolt hole for your tracbar to keep the axle centered. adjustable trackbar negates this piece of the puzzle.

if you have 125-150 bucks extra, get an adjustable tracbar such as teraflex or whoever you prefer... I run the teraflex, and it works fine.
    Lunatic4x4.org

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may also want to look into a drop pitman arm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast