User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: recentered H1's--cost? drivability?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default recentered H1's--cost? drivability?

1st is what is a general cost of someone to install new centers? I see centers around $55 or so. Dont remember if they were pressed or flat.

Anyone drive recentered wheels on the highway? How is it?
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you checked over on pirate4x4 yet?
    There's always recentered h1's for sale in the vendors section. These 2 links are just on the 1st page, I'm sure there's a hundred more in there.
    http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716226
    http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692850

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes jeff seen that, trying to get around $200 a rim.

I found a place near here that will weld pressed centers in, he recomended against the flat ones in his personal prefrence.

He also mentioned that they are pretty easy to weld in if you can get the original centers out cleanly.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ride and durability is going to be COMPLETELY based on the precision of the jig, the center and the weldor Bro.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USMCHarleyJeepGuy View Post
    The ride and durability is going to be COMPLETELY based on the precision of the jig, the center and the weldor Bro.
    The guy I talk to said the same, he wasnt looking for a job but wanted to relay his experience and to tell me be careful what I get and do.

Told me if the welder was good and had even beads it would spin good.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost00TJ View Post
    The guy I talk to said the same, he wasnt looking for a job but wanted to relay his experience and to tell me be careful what I get and do.

Told me if the welder was good and had even beads it would spin good.

The welder (machine) has little to do with it...it is the weldor (person operating it) that makes the difference.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've recentered about a dozen H1 Rims. I'd also recommend the pressed centers. On my old buggy, I bent 2 front rims after dropping the rig on its side from a straight up position. Not sure if a pressed rim would've survived but my 3/8" thick flat centers folded enough to make the wheels wobble. A buddy also folded a 3/8" center after (what we considered) a pretty easy landing. Another option might be the flat centers with "ribs" welded in to add rigidity.

Anyhow.. the 3/8" centers I got from 66CJDean off of Pirate. They drop in from the backside of the rim and were a very good fit. For the very first set, I actually bolted the center to an axle hub, slid on the rim, and used a magnetic base dial indicator to set runout. I positioned the dial indicator on the second lip since the outer edge of the rims had some dings in them. I was able to get all 4 rims down in the .010" runout range. I had measured a couple rims prior to cutting out the stock centers and they were closer to .030" runout.
    On the next couple sets of rims, I just stacked up steel plates (clevis mounts for my bumpers) on my welding table to a height of 4.75" and set the rim center on the plates. Then, I dropped the rim over the center, tacked it in place and welded (alternating in a star pattern).

Removing the stock centers is easy if you have a plasma cutter. Just use the stock outer ring to mark the inner rim with a circle and cut on the line with the plasma cutter. Clean the edge with a flap disk.

You might also be able to rig up a spinning fixture for making a cleaner "circle cut". Mount the rim on a front hub (needs to spin freely). Chuck up some sort of wheel in a hand drill and have a buddy push the wheel against the rim and hit the trigger. The rim needs to spin slowly at a steady pace. Make a "rest" for your plasma cutter (maybe a jackstand or something similar?) that positions the plasma where you need it. Hit the trigger on the plasma and have your buddy hit the trigger on the drill. The wheel will rotate and the plasma should cut a nice clean circle. You may even be able to just have a buddy spin the rim slowly by hand.

All 3 sets of rims that I recentered have been run up to about 55-60mph with 38" and 42" unbalanced Swampers.

I don't know as I'd run those rims on a long distance daily driver.. but for a trail rig that drives to the trail heads.. should be no problem.
    Last edited by BESRK; 09-11-2009 at 21:49.
    1980 CJ5 w/AMC 360, T176, D300 w/4to1, D44s, 3.73s, Lockright/Detroit, 33s, Full Cage

A Jeep-Based Buggy on 42s.. Big Lime

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Provided the person or machine doing the welds does even and clean welds they will ride fine, and will even balance. I have known several people who have run them on DD with no issues. I would do this before I would run spacers. Cost will run about $55 per for the center and about $100 per for labor. Almost cheaper to buy recentered rims already. When most do this they also add rock rings. Rock rings protect the bolts and the rim as well as add strenth
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Provided the person or machine doing the welds does even and clean welds they will ride fine, and will even balance. I have known several people who have run them on DD with no issues. I would do this before I would run spacers. Cost will run about $55 per for the center and about $100 per for labor. Almost cheaper to buy recentered rims already. When most do this they also add rock rings. Rock rings protect the bolts and the rim as well as add strenth
    Concur...and at this point, along with the original cost of the H1 wheels, you are getting danger close to buying some new beadlocks...at least 2/3-3/4 the cost of a new purpose built wheel...something to consider, especially on a DD Larry.

~~Thomas Jefferson

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surf Pirate and some other Hard Core sites you will find something for under $200 per
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast