Served
    Served
    1965 to 1969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TJ Coil Removal

How high do you have to get a 2005 TJ unlimited to remove the front and rear coils. I am doing this in my garage with a floor jack and jack stands. I think I am going to have to get some spring compressors as I dont like the height I am going to have to raise this thing to get the new 2" lift coils in it. Yes the wheels and tires are off and the axle is on two dollies. Does anyone know the dimensional height of stock coils?

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no spring compressors needed.
    disconnect the sway bar. disconnect the upper control arms. put a jack under one side of the axle and lift while someone's pushing down on the other side. the stock ones will come out fairly easy. the lifted ones may take a bit of forceful suggestion, but will still go in.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1995 to 1999

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tube of k-y for ease of insertion for the new springs.

sorry bro couldn't resist that.

but Jeff is right. that's how i was going to do the new (bigger/longer) front springs on my xj.... then it got hit. so now it's waiting on the ins. co. to get back to us.
    i love my country , but scared to death of its government!

Back in the Jeep life! no more small cars here!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 2004

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another way it can be done is to jack the one end of the jeep up with a floor jack. Loosen all the control arm bolts ( do not remove) place jack stands under the frame near the wheel well as high as they go (3 ton stands work pretty good). Set the jeep down on the stands and make sure it is stable. The jack should still be holding up the axle enough to remove the tires. Then lower the axle to the floor. you should be able to remove the old and install the new. This is how I removed and installed my springs as well as how I remove the axles. I know not everyone has a floor jack and jack stands or even a place to work. This is just how I have done it. Good Luck!
    2003 Rubi with 6" lift rolling 37's w/ beadlocks, armor for effect. Constant state of change, its a jeep thing!!

SOLD - 5.9 Grand with TNT Long Arms, KM2's, HP30 w/ARB & WJ Brake Conv., Rear 44HD Trussed & Skidded, 231 w/SYE, TW Drive Shafts & Custom Sliders

RIP: 2004 Rubi: 3" lift on 33's

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea, just stick with disco the front sway bar, jack up a corner, put it on a stand .using the frame, the old coils will plop out (technical word), and the easiest thing i've used is a piece of crap 2x4, about 4ft long, to pry the new coil in. if its that much bigger coil, put a jack under the axle, disco the shock, and slowly lower the axle, watching the brake line/abs sensor line. for the rear, the biggest problem (if any) will be from the drivers side due to the track bar. not sure if the rear sway bar should be disco'd or not, i always rip them off and put them in the scrap metal pile. no big drive difference without it.
    http://www.dirtroad.com/jeepwave/

Who needs big tires when you have these lockers, and a 4:1?
    http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Charleston AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged