Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shocks??????

In my search for new shocks on my YJ I went to a local 4WD place in VA Beach. The guy there told me I could go with the $30-50 shocks but for a better ride he suggested ones close to $100 (ea). He didn't tell me a brand or type which bugs me. My question is this: Is the guy trying to make more money off of me or is he legit? I appreciate any and all advice.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the Rubicon Express mono tube shocks. check those prices, maybe that is what he was talking about.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1982 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rancho RSX....for a great ride...I work at the factory that makes them and i have them on all my rigs...GREAT for washboard roads.
    81 Scrambler, 5.7 vortec efi,4l60e dana 300, spring over, high steer, spooled dana 60 front.. gm 14 bolt rear with detroit locker..twin stick dana 300 41 inch iroks...
    ”Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.”
    Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

"This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn."
    the last words of a true redneck "hold my beer and watch this!!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't buy anything without brand names. I also have RE monotubes as they came with the lift. However, what I'm getting at is you don't want to get charged the same for skyjacker shocks as OME. No name=no purchase. Tell him you can probably find a better deal on the internet anyway, but you were trying to support local businesses.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1997 to 2006

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i had the Rubicon Express Mono Tubes for a few years, switched out to Bilstine 5100's and wow what a difference. they are worth every penny

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2012

Closest Installation

Little Rock AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm running 2000ish Ford F-150 rear shocks on the front of my Rubi. They are Gabriel gas shocks (don't remember the exact model name). They were like $53.00 from Autozone, have a lifetime warranty and the RE monotubes can't touch them. I did have to get bar-pin eliminators to make em fit though.
    If I get time later and someone wants to know, I'll 'splain how they found their way onto my Jeep.

But like everyone else said....if he can't tell you which shock he is trying to sell you, go somewhere else.
    treefrog

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info, I am going to try ORI here in Yorktown because the husand and wife who run the place are Army and I dont think they would send me down the wrong path.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogab View Post
    In my search for new shocks on my YJ I went to a local 4WD place in VA Beach. The guy there told me I could go with the $30-50 shocks but for a better ride he suggested ones close to $100 (ea). He didn't tell me a brand or type which bugs me. My question is this: Is the guy trying to make more money off of me or is he legit? I appreciate any and all advice.
    You need to do some research... go into the shop with at least some knowledge.

I don't know what kind of Jeep you have. I have a CJ5 with a 304V8 and a 4" Superlift... I went with Superlift Superide shocks and they work for me. I think their cost was $30???
    Lou USN (RET)

79 CJ5, Rebuilt 304V8, 4" Superlift Suspension, 32x11.5/R15 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's ... well that's about it for now.

A biker's comment after a bike trip through Florida, "The vegetation is sharp, unfriendly, and almost screams at you to stay away." My response: Welcome to Florida. Now go home.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I presently run OME shocks. I love the way they handle. When I put on the 3.5" springs I am going with them again or the Bilstein 5100's.
    Ron
    US Navy 1993-'97

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believe me I have been researching shocks and a few other things I want to do with the jeep for a while.
    I have one problem, or more depending if you talk to my girlfriend, and that is I really dont know what this jeep really has or what was done to it. And I still leaning alot everyday about her!

The shop I was talking about is a national company that is franchised out and all of their products are warrentied, which is great for us!!

When selecting shocks online, if thats the route I eventually decide to take, do i chose based on the body lift or the total lift?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast