Served
    Served
    1965 to 1969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Larger Disc Brakes for a TJ

Anyone have larger than stock disc brakes on their TJ. Looking for better brakes before I buy my new wheels.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I put Terafelx rear discs on my '02 TJ, the front is stock, but they made for an improvement in my braking. My factory rims no longer cleared the calibers however with out running wheel spacers. It was a backspacing issue, my other wheels are also 15"x8" but only have 3.75" of backspacing and they cleared.

Don't hold me to this, but I have been told that the Teraflex rear brake kit are the same as for a Ford Explorer.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we really have 2 options, you can upgrade to ebc pads and rotors or you can go with the vanco big brake kit.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 2004

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is another option! Have you looked in to a WJ brake conversion. This is for the most part a bolt on up grade. I have done this on a couple of vehicles to include my own. You get bigger brakes with a dual piston caliper and a separate tie-rod and draglink. Even the could be a coss-over HD steering setup. I this interest you let me know and I can take some pis of my setup and give you a rundown on parts needed.
    2003 Rubi with 6" lift rolling 37's w/ beadlocks, armor for effect. Constant state of change, its a jeep thing!!

SOLD - 5.9 Grand with TNT Long Arms, KM2's, HP30 w/ARB & WJ Brake Conv., Rear 44HD Trussed & Skidded, 231 w/SYE, TW Drive Shafts & Custom Sliders

RIP: 2004 Rubi: 3" lift on 33's

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im interested post up on the bolt on plz
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 2004

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me start off by saying there is nothing wrong with other solutions this just one that I decided on. It's your jeep and your money. This conversion should work on all dana 30 with unit bearings and the rubcon 44. basiclly what you end up with is similar to a KJ axle.

I wanted better brakes for 5.9 GC and I hate buy over priced parts that I can find, mod., or fab. I did some research and found a couple write-ups of people using WJ brakes because they are dual piston calipers,bigere and better. I won't lie depending on how far you want to take it there is some work involved.

1.) I looked around at several junk yards and found some WJ's (1999-2004) 4x4 and got the knuckles and calipers off of. I suggest you go with the latter years because these have a better brake caliper (akebono). A lot of older models have teves. The teves had issues with rotor waring and jeep had a recall to replace them with akebono's. You can save some money here by getting the rotors as well but only if they have a good bit of wear. I picked up the knuckles for $45 for the set and the calipers for $85 for the pair. The rotors I ended up getting the duralast from Autozone for $25 a piece. Don't worry about the hubs they are the wrong bolt pattern.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/DRBemis/Pictures/Dales%20Build-up/HPIM3473.JPG[/IMG]
    2.) You will need to get unit bearing (hub) spacers and caliper spacers. I got mine from Iron Rock Offroad. here is a link to a page that shows what will need. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-WFAAC
    Call them and explain what you are doing because obviously you don't need the axles. All you will need is Unit bearing spacers, Brake caliper mount spacers, Brake caliper mount bolts (optional).

3.) Get everything cleaned up. I replaced the bleeders with speed bleed I picked up at Advanced Auto. I also decided to get new brake pads to. there is a difference between the teves and akebono pads so make sure you get the appropriate ones. It might also be a good time to get some new ball joints if you haven't replace them in a while. If you do decide to get ball joints get the one for the WJ. they have a slightly different taper.

4.) you will need to weld the unit bearing spacers to the Knuckles. If you do this your self heat the knuckle up prior to welding and slowly take the heat away. Or you can take it to a shop and have them weld it up for you. The weld is just there to keep the spacer from falling off.

5.) time to break everything down and remove the old knuckles.

6.) Now install the new used parts and bolt everything back together.

This just explains about the knuckles and brakes. You will still have a decision to make about steering. Tomorrow I will try and remember to do a complete build write up to include steering upgrades. What you have done is created a Teraflex steering upgrade (for the most part) and bigger brakes as well.

Here are a few links that helped me!
    http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/articles/01_02.aspx

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/bra...kles/index.htm

http://www.evilmonkeymedia.com/dl/wjsteering.htm

http://www.jcroffroad.com/WJ.html
    2003 Rubi with 6" lift rolling 37's w/ beadlocks, armor for effect. Constant state of change, its a jeep thing!!

SOLD - 5.9 Grand with TNT Long Arms, KM2's, HP30 w/ARB & WJ Brake Conv., Rear 44HD Trussed & Skidded, 231 w/SYE, TW Drive Shafts & Custom Sliders

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent post...thanks for sharing Shadow.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

team stinkfist member blackbetty's Avatar

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought AEV made a disc brake upgrade kit that i was reading about in one of my mags but i guess it could have been something else. anyone else heard of AEV doing that?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 2004

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as side note to my earlier post. I was able to do this conversion for less than the teraflex knuckle for there "high steer"! So i got dual piston brakes and HD crossover steering (teraflex high steer) for less than $400. I'm still putting the parts list that I used together.

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Just as side note to my earlier post. I was able to do this conversion for less than the teraflex knuckle for there "high steer"! So i got dual piston brakes and HD crossover steering (teraflex high steer) for less than $400. I'm still putting the parts list that I used together.
    I will probably go this route, as I have the Tera Flex hi steer, I got for a good deal. With rumors of a V8 going into my TJ, I want better brakes...

Bobby
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast