User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOAB rims on my TJ with locking hubs?

team stinkfist member blackbetty's Avatar

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MOAB rims on my TJ with locking hubs?

ok so i just bought this TJ and i has a lockable hub on the front. i finally found a set of moab 16" rims for it but thought the center cap was a little small and that it wont fit around the hubs. I dont think they will but maybe im not judging it right

Please tell me im wrong because i want these rims ha

2nd. the hubs are on a D30, do i really need them on there?

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rims won't fit. As to needing the selectable hubs on a D30, that's debatable. Do you have a locker in the front, what kind? Selectable hubs are easier to service. If you break a shaft, you can unlock the hub, and limp out in 3wd. With a unit bearing (stock on D30), you have to change the whole thing out. I was going to go with selectable hubs on a D30, but decided to wait for the D44 . My .02

Bobby
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good call. just bought it so im not positive. i know for sure it has an ARB in the front and when my buddy looked at it he said it was a warn hub. im not sure about the shaft set up i thought it would just be a two piece set up but im not sure. i dont know why the guy bothered with a lockable hub in a 30. i would have done the same and just upgraded to a 44

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 2004

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mp101v View Post
    The rims won't fit. As to needing the selectable hubs on a D30, that's debatable. Do you have a locker in the front, what kind? Selectable hubs are easier to service. If you break a shaft, you can unlock the hub, and limp out in 3wd. With a unit bearing (stock on D30), you have to change the whole thing out. I was going to go with selectable hubs on a D30, but decided to wait for the D44 . My .02

Bobby
    X2! If this was a true warn conversion you should be aright but if these where taken from a ranger or bronco II then beware. the outer housing and the lock ring were made of alum. these had a tendency to eat themselves up pretty quick. Ford did upgrade these in later models though.
    2003 Rubi with 6" lift rolling 37's w/ beadlocks, armor for effect. Constant state of change, its a jeep thing!!

SOLD - 5.9 Grand with TNT Long Arms, KM2's, HP30 w/ARB & WJ Brake Conv., Rear 44HD Trussed & Skidded, 231 w/SYE, TW Drive Shafts & Custom Sliders

RIP: 2004 Rubi: 3" lift on 33's

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you really want to keep the MOABs, just get yourself a set of unit bearings (factory hubs) and put them in. Then get yourself some spare shafts. Then you could use the MOAB wheels. There is nothing wrong with unconverting (is that a word?) the setup back to factory. It's all up to you.
    www.pnwjeep.com

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea we'll see. if i find a good deal on the rims then i'll get um and either get them machined or just go back to stock hubs. the hubs are a good backup feature so i leaning more towards getting um machined

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1965 to 1969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Street Driving

Driving around with the lock out unlocked saves wear and tear on the entire front end as the front wheels are free wheeling, axles, diff and drive shaft are not. You may even get a mile or two better gas mileage. Plus you can inspect and repack the front bearing every so often instead of waiting for the unit bearings to go out. If you decide to take them out and replace them with the stock unit bearing set I would be interested in buying the lock outs from you.

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2004

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check your bolt pattern first. some of the warn hub conversion switch it to a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern instead of 5 on 4.5.

i run the conversion and happen to like it. it was already installed on an axle i bought. i like the option of running hub fuses. i went through a couple of fuses when i was running 37x13 boggers. after i switched to 36's i have not had a problem. it is nice not to have to worry about unit bearings.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scumby does have a point. The Warn Hub Conversion kits come in either 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5.5.
    www.pnwjeep.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and either way, if those are from a jk, the stamp makes me think so, its a 5 on 5. the good news is, if it weren't for the hub issue, the back spacing is different from whats on it(from what it looks) and a spidertrax spacer you can change the pattern from 5 on 4.5 to whatever. wonder what would happen if you bored out the hub
    http://www.dirtroad.com/jeepwave/

Who needs big tires when you have these lockers, and a 4:1?
    http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast