Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wont start; Electrical

So a buddy of mine has a problem getting his 4.0L Tj to start. When i got in the jeep I noticed there is no power. My immediate reaction was its the battery so I gave it a jump. That got it running but after we let it run for a while and shut off it still would not start without a jump. It does not show any volts on the volt meter either. So we put my battery in his jeep to test if its the battery. No dice, my battery did not work on his jeep either. We tried jumping it again but this time all we heard was the click of the starter solenoid. I readjusted the cables and assured all the connections were tight but we could not get a jump. I had the starter checked and sure enough it was fried. We replaced the starter with a new one. Tried to start but volt meter said 0 and no lights came on. Tried a jump and all we heard was the click in the starter solenoid. I have absolutely no other Idea what could have caused this problem. Could it be a compluter issue causing this or maybe the alternator? Thanks

Nick

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

doubt it's computer, and not to make it sound like you're a toolbag. Make sure the ground straps are tight on both ends, and i dunno if there are extra hot wires hooked to the battery, but make sure they're not bare and grounding out somewhere. My first guess was alternator after you said, it started, you ran it, shut it off, and it wouldn't start again. The first starter being bad kind of surprised me, as generally if you turn the key and it clicks, there isn't enough power to turn the gear, just enough to engage the starter itself. If you can get it started again, take that puppy to a parts store, and make them test the alternator/battery. I'd put money on a bare wire grounding out the system. Sorry if it doesn't help much.
    http://www.dirtroad.com/jeepwave/

Who needs big tires when you have these lockers, and a 4:1?
    http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/