Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USMC lock rite lockers

ok i want to nip this in the butt now. i have a 2003 tj with the dana 35 in the rear. i wanted to put a lock rite locker in it but i want to make sure im making a good choice for a budget so is if anyone has pro's and con's for it i would like to hear it. i also looked at a detroit locker but its too expensive.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go with the aussie. i just ordered mine after a little research and it seems to be the best for the money, I'm just locking the front for now though..no sense in locking a dana 35 save your money... but thats just me talkin theres alot of knowledgeable dudes on here that have great advise on lockers and what not. good luck
    " if you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you are reading it in English, thank a Soldier"

I READ TODD DID

Color Blind Trail Guide TJ 4 the Boxers's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my Detroit blow up early this year while on the highway exit ramp. I replaced the entire alxe assembly due to losing my job.
    I would not put any money into a d35. Save for a d44 or an 8.8 and lock it up from there.
    '01 TJ 4 Banger--2" BB w/OME, 1.25 BL, 1" MML, 33" Trxxus, Disco's and Skids.

www.njjeep.org

If it's not a BOXER , it's just a DOG!

Rob

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJ 4 the Boxers View Post
    I would not put any money into a d35. Save for a d44 or an 8.8 and lock it up from there.
    Same here buddy... I did my 8.8 swap for under $500, but I did all the labor and got a good deal at the pull-a-part for the axle...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

x2 on the Aussie. If I were running a D35 I wouldn't bother locking it. Just lock the front and save for an 8.8 or D44 swap.
    Prepared for the Zombies

91 XJ, 4.5" RC Long Arm Suspension, 35" BFG KM's on black steelies, Ford 8.8 rear, D30 w/Aussie, AA SYE, Custom bumpers, JCR Rock Sliders, Rusty's gas tank skid

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

w/o a super 35 kit in your axle or just a better axle your asking for trouble if you lock a stock 35
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look for used stuff for your turdy5. Lotsa folks make the mistake of dumping tons of $$ into the crap axle. They break it or finally decide to upgrade to a D44 8.8 D60 what ever. Then they sell their 35 stuff usually at peanuts on the dollar, of what they paid, just to try to recope some of the loss. Any lunch box locker lock rite, aussie will be good for the time being. If you lock the 35 (or I guess I should say wheel with a D35 in the Jeep at all) carry extra axle shafts one L / one R, the stock spider gears, a pinion yoke, extra set of straps, and a ujoint. You will probally need them at some point. The front D30 can live alot longer under your rig. You can put any of the lunch boxes in it, but you better off to save up and get a selectable locker for it. Being able to turn the locker off makes life easier on the trail and if you need to use 4wd on the street in the winter. The turning radius is considerably less running a full locker in the front diff a selectable cures that.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1973 to 2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USMC

Quote Originally Posted by irish1371 View Post
    w/o a super 35 kit in your axle or just a better axle your asking for trouble if you lock a stock 35
    x2...stock D35's are not worth locking. It is a matter of when and how often, not if, you will break a axle shaft.

I will eventually move up to a Dana 44 or 8.8 (time and money) but I have the super 35 kit with ARB locker and run 33" tires. I have had issues with my ARB leaking due to the carrier loosening up because of the axle housing flexing. I have since had to add a truss to stop the flex, well lessen it a little. If I had known then what I know now I would have held out for the 44 or 8.8. Used Rubicon rear axles are going for about $1500 in my area now.

I also went with the Aussie in front and when my ARB would leak and the compressor would keep running (venting gear oil), the Aussie saved the day and pulled me up and out of the worst obstacles.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USMC

thanks guy now the next question would be were do i get a good deal on a d44.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1980 to 1981

Closest Installation

McGuire AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

local car and truck swap meets/shows or craigs list/ebay or4x4 bulliten boards its out there you just need to find it..
    JP

NEVER FORGET
    olllo
    Semper Fidelis

"THE ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING". ...... EDMUND BURKE.....

PS3 gamer tag- jeepinjp/clan tag- MJ COD:MW2

WFTW http://www.wheelersforthewounded.org/
    WFTWNJ http://wheelersforthewoundednj.org
    NJJC http://www.northjerseyjeepclub.org/
    NOHVCC http://www.nohvcc.org
    BRC http://www.sharetrails.org/ B.O.D. 2009 V.P. 2011-2013 Pres. 2013-2015

I work hard because millions on welfare depend on me....