Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tj steering options

Alright, so I've had the currie steering on my rig for about 10 months now.
    Within 6 months My upper drag link tre was shot ($60). Today I found out my passenger side tie rod tre is shot ($109). And no, I'm not over greasing them. I'm either a really unlucky bastard, or the product is just crap. The fact that I have to over night the parts direct from currie doesn't make it any easier.

So I'm looking for options. I've heard mixed reviews with the oro u turn. Pretty much the same reviews of I've seen with the currie. Issue's with tre's failing prematurely.
    What other options are out there? Preferably on the cheaper side.
    What's everyone else running and how do you like it?
    I'm really half way tempted to go back to stock steering right now.

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your the 1st guy I have read about that has this much problem with a Currie product. I am not familiar with the system but could you not use 3/4 ton TRE's from a local shop to replace the bad ones you have been running into?

What front diff and tires/rims are you currently running?

You could have hit a string of crappy tre's or there could be something else going on with your current set up that is causing them to fail??
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currie is the only place that sells the tre's. I've yet to find another set of 1 ton tre's that fit. The passenger side tie rod tre isn't removeable, you have to replace the entire lower portion of the drag link.
    I'm driving a rubicon with stock axles and gearing. 4" lift, 33" trxus. For the past 6 months the jeep has really only seen paved road. I think I've done 2 mild trails earlier this spring. Nothing that should have done any damage to this system.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think the excessive amounts of DW could've tanked the TRE?

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    Do you think the excessive amounts of DW could've tanked the TRE?
    That's a possibility.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would just hate to see the pedestal that I've put currie products on crumble a little. You've had DW for a few months right? Almost every day?

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    I would just hate to see the pedestal that I've put currie products on crumble a little. You've had DW for a few months right? Almost every day?
    Yep, not full on death wobble, but a shake due to bad ball joints and unit bearings. The 1st tre went out at the beginning of this.... thought that was the original reason of my shaking.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    Alright, so I've had the currie steering on my rig for about 10 months now.
    Within 6 months My upper drag link tre was shot ($60). Today I found out my passenger side tie rod tre is shot ($109). And no, I'm not over greasing them. I'm either a really unlucky bastard, or the product is just crap. The fact that I have to over night the parts direct from currie doesn't make it any easier.

So I'm looking for options. I've heard mixed reviews with the oro u turn. Pretty much the same reviews of I've seen with the currie. Issue's with tre's failing prematurely.
    What other options are out there? Preferably on the cheaper side.
    What's everyone else running and how do you like it?
    I'm really half way tempted to go back to stock steering right now.
    Jeff,

I have the ORO U Turn if you want to check it out. Love it! Steering feels better than stock. No dead spot on center. The Jeep has a really tight turn radius now. The steering stops are adjusted to the point that the tires dont hit anything and the u joints dont bind but I get maximum turn radius. Because of the increased angles now for the tighter radius, the tires squueal sometimes in the parking lot but I dont care about that. I have had it for almost 2 years now, and think its worth what I spent on it.

The only problem I have had with it was a clicking noise on turning. Turns out the jam nut on the drag link was loose after the dealership reinstalled the steering on the new axle housing after the diff grenaded. Tightened it up and problem solved.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have the Teraflex High Steer kit that came with my LCG lift, not impressed. It is the only thing I am not sure they got right, the rest of the lift and all the other Teraflex products I have used or are using I am extremely happy with. I swapped the ends out last year to flip the rod on top of the knuckle, but other than keeping it out of the rocks there was no other benefit. I may check out the Oro U Turn that JeepinSoldier mentioned.