Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Towing My 06 TJ to Tucson AZ from Florida

So U-haul wont let me rent a trailor for my TJ to Pull because I have a soft Top so the question is now that I have to tow my TJ behind a U-haul truck on a dolley not a trailor do I need to remove the drive shaft or just put the transfercase in neutral and put the 6 speed in neutral as well?

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you put the t case in neutral it should be fine.
    I'd pull the shafts as a bit of insurance though.

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just tell UHaul your hauling a Honda Civic or something. But if you mean flat tow put TCase and Tranny in Nuetral
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Viewer Discretion Advised Jacob's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2001

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going that far, if any of my tires were going to be on the ground I would pull the shafts along with tcase in neutral. Doesn't take long for the extra insurance. Uhaul places are stupid. You can't haul a soft top tj on a trailer, but you can tow it on a dolly? I would love to hear their logic on that one.
    Jacob

Stop organized crime, don't re-elect anyone!

Color Blind Trail Guide TJ 4 the Boxers's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit confusing.
    Were you trying to rent a trailer to take your stuff from AZ to FL? If so, yes, for whatever their reason U-haul will not rent to any soft top vehicle.
    So now instead, you're renting a U-haul truck and Dolly? If so, yes, I'd pull both shafts and put both t-case and tranny in neutral.
    '01 TJ 4 Banger--2" BB w/OME, 1.25 BL, 1" MML, 33" Trxxus, Disco's and Skids.

www.njjeep.org

If it's not a BOXER , it's just a DOG!

Rob

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have a friend who flat tows his '00 TJ Sahara all over the country behind his RV and all he does is put the transmission and transfer case in neutral and he has never had a problem. Yes the drive shafts are still turning, but that is the way the TJs are designed.

U-Haul has some funny rules, they would not rent me a trailer for my TCS move to Fort Lewis because my TJ is a softtop, but they would have rented one to me if I had a hard top. I never heard they had an issue with towing a Jeep with a softtop before.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 2004

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your using a dolly and you pull your drive shaft you do not need to put the t-case or trans in "N". If your flat towing (all 4 wheels on the ground) you will need to place the t-case / trans in "N". You can remove the drive shafts if you like or as extra insurance. IMHO removing the drive shafts reads to me that the vehicle is not in very good running condition. If you didn't have the u-haul you would be driving it correct? If you are that concerned about towing it then, as suggested, tell u-hail you need a trailer for anything but a soft top vehicle. Have a safe trip!!
    2003 Rubi with 6" lift rolling 37's w/ beadlocks, armor for effect. Constant state of change, its a jeep thing!!

SOLD - 5.9 Grand with TNT Long Arms, KM2's, HP30 w/ARB & WJ Brake Conv., Rear 44HD Trussed & Skidded, 231 w/SYE, TW Drive Shafts & Custom Sliders

RIP: 2004 Rubi: 3" lift on 33's

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1997 to 2006

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hauling it on a dolly, ie front off the ground and rear on the ground then just unhook the diff side of the rear driveshaft and zip tie it to the frame. you dont want the rear turning and not the front. its only 4 8mm bolts to undo it.
    03 Rubicon, 6.0L Chevy, 700R4, 241, ORI struts, custom F&R dual traiangulated longarms, 39.5 Irok, frame backhalf, 35 Spline Ford 60's, Full Hydro steering, 110"wb
    05 TJ (salvage), 6.0L aluminum head Chevy with LS1 parts (@400hp) , 4L60E, home made longarm on 14" SAW coilovers, 35 spline Dana 60's, 100"wb

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 2004

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimhatTJ View Post
    you dont want the rear turning and not the front.
    Please explain how this differs from a vehicle with lockout hubs.
    2003 Rubi with 6" lift rolling 37's w/ beadlocks, armor for effect. Constant state of change, its a jeep thing!!

SOLD - 5.9 Grand with TNT Long Arms, KM2's, HP30 w/ARB & WJ Brake Conv., Rear 44HD Trussed & Skidded, 231 w/SYE, TW Drive Shafts & Custom Sliders

RIP: 2004 Rubi: 3" lift on 33's

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1997 to 2006

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lock outs stop the front from turning not the rear. in the little video that come with new jeeps states when flat towing (all tires on the ground) to put tcase in neutral and tranny in gear. when using a dolly unhook rear driveshaft.
    03 Rubicon, 6.0L Chevy, 700R4, 241, ORI struts, custom F&R dual traiangulated longarms, 39.5 Irok, frame backhalf, 35 Spline Ford 60's, Full Hydro steering, 110"wb
    05 TJ (salvage), 6.0L aluminum head Chevy with LS1 parts (@400hp) , 4L60E, home made longarm on 14" SAW coilovers, 35 spline Dana 60's, 100"wb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast