2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default my front rubi locker

ok so some of you may remember a while back when i bought my jeep i mentioned that the front locker doesnt work. well i finally got around to tearing into the to change the fluid and put on my solid covers. i pulled the plug and found lots of metal shavings and the fluid coming out of there was a very thick gray color and consistency. now, aside from the fact that something is damaged, does anyone know the possibilities im looking at as far as repairs? there also appears to be some scoreing on the locker housing. i've never seen it this locker before so it could be normal but it seems awfully rough to be normal. thank in advance.
    Last edited by afjeep; 12-23-2009 at 11:20.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by afjeep View Post
    ok so some of you may remember a while back when i bought my jeep i mentioned that the front locker doesnt work. well i finally got around to tearing into the to change the fluid and put on my solid covers. i pulled the plug and found lots of metal shavings and the fluid coming out of there was a very thick gray color and consistency. now, aside from the fact that something is damaged, does anyone know the possibilities im looking at as far as repairs? there also appears to be some scoreing on the locker housing. i've never seen it this locker before so it could be normal but it seems awfully rough to be normal. thank in advance.
    Do you have the 7/70 powertrain warranty in effect? When my Rubi front 44 grenaded, I dragged it back to the dealer and had them fix it.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinSoldier View Post
    Do you have the 7/70 powertrain warranty in effect? When my Rubi front 44 grenaded, I dragged it back to the dealer and had them fix it.
    nah, no warranty. unfortunately.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nah, no warranty. unfortunately.
    Hmmmm. In the pic it looks like water got in the diff oil and then the oil was not changed.

Parts look mostly intact.

You say the locker was not working. When you hit the switch, do the pumps run?

Was the air line still connected to the fitting on the locker inside the diff?
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The front locker is a fairly stout locker. Usually when it gets damaged, it's damaged because the fill plug is torqued down to far. If you torque it down to far, it will push into the locker. I'd say take a close look at the scour marks and see if they're in the same location that your fill plug is, if so, that's what happened.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinSoldier View Post
    Hmmmm. In the pic it looks like water got in the diff oil and then the oil was not changed.

Parts look mostly intact.

You say the locker was not working. When you hit the switch, do the pumps run?

Was the air line still connected to the fitting on the locker inside the diff?
    yeah, everything is in tact. i cleaned off the locker and there is some definite scoring on the housing. not sure its affecting anything though.
    not sure bout the pump. the hose was still connected. the light just blinks. i havent gotten up under it while engaging. i'll probably put it on some stands thursday and look at it. thanks.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    The front locker is a fairly stout locker. Usually when it gets damaged, it's damaged because the fill plug is torqued down to far. If you torque it down to far, it will push into the locker. I'd say take a close look at the scour marks and see if they're in the same location that your fill plug is, if so, that's what happened.
    hmm, well if that was the problem i shouldnt have it anymore. the fill plug on the SOLID diff cover doesnt go in that far. that would almost make sense but i dunno, the scoring was smooth on one side with a rough patch in the middle and then smooth on the other side.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, everything is in tact. i cleaned off the locker and there is some definite scoring on the housing. not sure its affecting anything though.
    not sure bout the pump. the hose was still connected. the light just blinks. i havent gotten up under it while engaging. i'll probably put it on some stands thursday and look at it. thanks.
    My rear locker stopped working, the light just blinked and the pump just kept running. The hose came off the fitting inside the diff.

Chock your wheels for safety, put the Jeep in 4LO and hit the locker switch (Engine off but ignition switch in the run position) Crawl under the Jeep, look at the driver side rear of the transfer case skid up inside. Your locker pumps are there. You should be able to hear them running.

Problem may be the locker pump, or the line has come off at the pump or been damaged anywhere along its length. The rubi lockers are pretty low pressure, and any leak could cause them not to work.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestion JeepinSoldier.

now i have another issue. since i replaced my diff cover and fluid, my jeep Bounces? a lot more on the front end. when i stop it seems to almost want to roll back just a bit. i put right at 2 quarts of 85w-190 in there. is the gear oil too thick for my climate? did i put too much in? it's somewhat frustrating.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85-190?

75w-140 is what you want for the rubicon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast