1995 to 2013

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Leaky T-Case

I have a 2001 TJ with, what appears to be, a 1996 NP 231 J T-Case. Instead of the rear cone that houses the rear output shaft, mine just has the output shaft.

I installed a 2" budget boost and almost immediately started having leakage at the rear output shaft seal. Replacing the seal stops the leakage for a short period of time then it starts back up. Thinking that I my pinion angle was too much I installed a 1 1/2" lowering kit for the t-case. This seemed to stop the leakage for awhile and also cut out a lot of the vibration.

A few months back, the leakage started again...with a vengance. I have been cited by housing several times already and caught them trying to tow it away once (no warning, just came and tried to hook up the tow truck). She is now locked in my garage with a drip pan underneath.

Anyway, I am at a loss as to why this is happening. I do not do much heavy wheeling (mostly trail riding these days) so the drivetrain is not under undue stress. Any ideas/advice would be most welcome and appreciated.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bliss
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you have pics of the TC? if it is missing a tail cone that will explain alot
    Just another lifted, locked and cut up TJ, Have Cummins, will tow

Random Jeep Stuff

My YouTube page

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to 2013

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll have to see if I can get them up. The pics are on my computer at home.

One of my friends wondered if perhaps it was a TC off of a Cherokee. He said that might explain the lack of a tail cone.