User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your speedometer off? Try the Superlift Truspeed.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Is your speedometer off? Try the Superlift Truspeed.

My Problem:

After going to tires larger than stock (31" to 33") this change made my speedometer 7% off. Well I lived with this for quite sometime and just did the math in my head for actual speed. However my Jeep is an Automatic ( I love it! ), my transmission shifted slightly off. Well to overcome the loss in power of driving up hill (long mountain passes), which I do a regular basis I decided to have my jeep regeared with 4.88's which was a steep drop from the 4.10's I was running previously. Lastly this just put my speedometer reading 10-15 MPH over actual speed at 55 MPH. This really screwed up my shifting and was definitely eating into my gas mileage.

First attempt at a fix:
    My jeep has the trac rock transfer case w (NV241OR) which means that I can't just change a speedometer gear to fix my speedometer but have to take it into the dealership have them program the computer for the correct tire/gear ratio. $55.00 later I found out that they couldnt program my system for the tire/gear ratio I had so they set it to 33/4.56 which helped some but was still not much of an improvement.

The Actual fix:
    Well after delving deep into the dark nether reaches of the internet I came across a product that seemed like it would resolve all my issues and life would be grand again. The Superlift Truspeed seemed to be about the only option I could find, so I ordered one up from Northridge4x4.com.

Install is pretty straight forward. I spent more time planning the install and calibrating the TrueSpeed than actually connecting everything up.

After all is said and done my Jeep's Speedometer reads exactly 60 MPH when the vehicle is traveling 60MPH as calibrated by my Garmin 60CSx GPS unit. I noticed an immediate improvement in shifting, and by the end of the week I will know if my MPG has improved.

Tomorrow its new brake pads, rotors turned, brake fluid flush and Oil change.

Ciao,
    Difranco
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Difranco; 05-03-2008 at 11:50.
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - "Orange Crush"
    33" Goodyear MTR / 15" MB Motoring Outlaw wheels -- OME HD Suspension -- JKS 1.25" Bodylift -- JKS Quicker Disconnects -- Grant4x4 Front/Rear Bumpers -- 4.88 Spicer Gears -- Uniden 510 CB w/ Wilson Superflex Antenna -- Delta 550 Driving Lights -- Jeeperman Ultimate Rocker Guards

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lookin good. I had never even heard of this. I'm sure a lot of automatic drivers out here will love it.

does this guy ever wheel? Hitechredneck's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard problems with tis and having interference with something with while you are talking on your cb. I dont have one myself but there are a few post on ROF talking about it. I guess the fix is to wrap the unit in tin foil and that fixes it. Just wanted to throw this out there in case some sillyness happens with yours or others that install it.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to look into this, thanks. I am also going to hop over ot ROF and see what I can dig up about this and the issue with the CB.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't seem to affect everyone's CB http://rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3...p?f=31&t=57078
    33" Goodyear MTR / 15" MB Motoring Outlaw wheels -- OME HD Suspension -- JKS 1.25" Bodylift -- JKS Quicker Disconnects -- Grant4x4 Front/Rear Bumpers -- 4.88 Spicer Gears -- Uniden 510 CB w/ Wilson Superflex Antenna -- Delta 550 Driving Lights -- Jeeperman Ultimate Rocker Guards

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link. I have the same CB as that one guy on that post, so I am going to look into getting this and seeing how it works.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tested my CB no more noise than there was before.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

***Update***

Drove past a Sheriff's Office radar speed check trailer like this one:

in a 40 MPH zone and my speedo was dead on!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's really good to hear. I'm really glad that you came back and told people how it worked out for you.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone somewhere asked me I think on this board what my MPG was with 4.88's / 33's and the 6cyl/auto. Well now that my gears are broke in I've seem to settle into about 15 MPG average, which is in EPA spec of a stock TJ Auto.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast