Served
    2004 to 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tranny shift, engine issues

Hello everyone,
    Recently have had some issues with my Jeep. 1999 Cherokee 4.0. I have a number of symptoms, and have already tried a bunch of simple things to fix it, but have had no luck.Here are the symptoms I have.

When engine is revved up and then I let off gas, engine will SOMETIMES stall out, or will come real close to it. If I tap the gas lightly again, it will come back up and idle normally.

Seems as if the transmission is shifting at a higher RPM, and harder.

Takes the engine a bunch of more times to turn over before it starts.

Check Engine light is on. It has been on for a while with code saying the Torque Converter is not working correctly. (This light has been on since I got it, with no running issues)

A sucking noise is coming from above the transmission.

These are the things that I have already had done.

Flush of transmission and had filter and fluids replaced. Fluid level is good.

Replaced Throttle Position Sensor

Used SeaFoam engine treatment.

Oil change.

Aussie Lockers were recently installed in front and rear axles. This problem came about not to long (150 miles or so) after they were installed.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

My best guess is that the Torque Converter got worse and now may need to be replaced, but am hoping that it will be a less costly issue.

Thanks everyone!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how does the engine idle?
    who checked the code i have never heard of a code for a torque converter?
    i wonder if ir is not air related i had an issue with my cat and it was doing the same thing but i have a stick
    if you need a hand let me know i am right around the corner
    Rocks to a Jeep are like crack to an addict

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Anything can be fixed with enough redneckery.

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The engine idles fine. My buddy checked the code for me. I can't remember the code off the top of my head, but i did the research on Jeep Forums and I found that the code came up as a result of an issue with the Torque Converter.

You say you had a similar issue because of your catalytic converter? I have whacked it a few times out on the trail.

I will let you know if I can get to the bottom of this myself. I would like to do it myself to learn, but I only know so much about vehicles. Thanks!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my cat was cloged up very little flow so i had no power and the engine would stumble and almost die out i will be driving through waterbury tomorrow if you want me to swing by with the scan tool to look at it

i work at the hobby shop in groton so the lift will make it easier to drop the trans
    Rocks to a Jeep are like crack to an addict

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Anything can be fixed with enough redneckery.

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My co-worker at work got suspended today, so I have a busy next 3 work days and will be working extra hours. Thanks for the offer though! I have a friend with a lift and stuff about 10 mins away that will be able to help out if need be. I got some other advice on another forum I am going to try too.

i recently changed the tranny filter and fluid. I guess I put the wront fluid in it (ATF +4) so I am going to try to drain it fully and replace it with the right stuff to see if that helps the shifting problem.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1992 to 2000

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ATF+4 is the synthetic version of ATF+3. Chrysler already said to replace the 3 with 4. I did that with the wife's 99 XJ 2yrs ago, no issues and it firmed it up a little too.

How often is the XJ run? Ours is only the DD when the TJ is down or someone feels like takin it, other wise it is just trail rig. If it sits for long periods, start and initial idle is hard to achieve. High rev and it'll stall out. After a day of driving no issues on stall/idle but hard start has been for a few years now.
    Dan M.

'85 CJ-7, 4.0L,T18,4.10s,35s,Fully locked,winch,cage

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2003 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeColt View Post
    My co-worker at work got suspended today, so I have a busy next 3 work days and will be working extra hours. Thanks for the offer though! I have a friend with a lift and stuff about 10 mins away that will be able to help out if need be. I got some other advice on another forum I am going to try too.

i recently changed the tranny filter and fluid. I guess I put the wront fluid in it (ATF +4) so I am going to try to drain it fully and replace it with the right stuff to see if that helps the shifting problem.
    use Lucas Oil for auto trans. that stuff works wonders. Had a car that had 200,000 miles on it. the trany was on it last limb. lucas oil made it work another 2 years
    "SHOOT FIRST, SHOOT STRAIGHT, PROTECT THE INNOCENT, AND PUNISH THE DESERVING"

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warthog_cj7 View Post
    ATF+4 is the synthetic version of ATF+3. Chrysler already said to replace the 3 with 4. I did that with the wife's 99 XJ 2yrs ago, no issues and it firmed it up a little too.

How often is the XJ run? Ours is only the DD when the TJ is down or someone feels like takin it, other wise it is just trail rig. If it sits for long periods, start and initial idle is hard to achieve. High rev and it'll stall out. After a day of driving no issues on stall/idle but hard start has been for a few years now.
    I use it once a week maybe, unless I get to do more off road than that. So you have used ATF +4 in your XJ without issue? I have never really had an issues with it since I got it. Started right up and went.

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worked on the Jeep a little more today... seems to be OK now. Going to drive it to work and back to make sure.

Changed the ATF to Dextron III

Took out and cleaned the IAC (It was real dirty)

Ran the code reader and got these codes.
    P0123
    P0138
    P0121

Erased the codes after I wrote them down.

I did not reset the computer after I replaced the TPS, and 2 of the 3 codes were for that. The other one is for the O2 sensor, and I think that it may have set that off due to the bad idle.

Hopefully all is well now!