1994 to 2001

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tires...Lets Hear it AGAIN

Ok, I know there have been many tire threads all over the net and here before. I need tires bad because my Firestone Destination MTs are so chunked they are shaking my Jeep when I drive and no one will even touch them to balance them. I have ran the GoodYear MTRs in the past on two rigs and were more than pleased with them. I like the looks of the new tread design and the embeded kevlar, but they are pricey even in 33s. I am leaning hard towards the BFG KM2s right now. If I were to buy today that is what I would get due to price and what I have heard in the past about them. But before I spend more than $1k on tires I want to leave all of my options open. Let me hear what you are running and how you like them. The two things I am MOST concerned about in new tires are tread wear on the highway and chunking offroad. I would like to get over 40k miles out of my purchase and not have them all chunked out after a year. I don't play in the mud at all, so ATs are not all together out. But with the prices of ATs in 33s, I am inclined to go ahead and spend the little more cost to get MTs as long as they will meet my mileage demands. Lets hear it.
    Last edited by Jacob; 10-21-2009 at 21:04.
    Jacob

Stop organized crime, don't re-elect anyone!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2003 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my Toyo Open Country MT's to death. They are quiet when at 30lbs on the road and when I air them down to 5lbs for the trail they work better than any other tire I've seen. I HIGHLY recommend them.

www.SocialClimbers4x4.com
    -Established April 1, 1983-
    No dues, No rules, No President
    ALL FUN!

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are some tires that the firestone place sells on base. at 80 bucks a pop for 33's, you could always by extras when they get FUBAR
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1992

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hard to Beat BFG`s AT----They have been around a long time-and they hold together really well!

Pork - the one you love! tomsjeep's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1995

Closest Installation

Camp Robinson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like tires have changed a lot in the past year and a half... lots of tires with kevlar (does that ever make for a solid footing over obstacles!), lots of new tread designs. I've speculated elsewhere that computer design is coming more and more into play in the designs. And as a result a lot of the good ol' standbys seem to have gotten eclipsed. Mickey Thompson MTZs were among the first to show up with a funky design.
    But to your question, if you're tearing up tires routinely (and it sounds like you are), going with a spendy tire doesn't sound like a great plan. Go cheaper and replace as needed if you can.
    2007 Liberty, Black, 245x70r16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor "Miss Libby" (I didn't pick the nick)
    2002 Wrangler Sahara, Black & Tan, 31x10.5r15 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, ARB Bullbar, etc.
    Bristol (Sailstar) Corsair & 2 kayaks.

Is scrounging for parts dmaxjeep's Avatar
    Arlington, VA - Silver Spring, MD / AL / MDW

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1989 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

see if you can find some Co-Op Grip-Spur's

them things are awesome!! in the mud. hard to find tho. pretty cheap if I recall too. they are Bias ply tho.. gotta get them at the co-op .

tread patern close to the old Buck-shot mudders

if you find them, let me know, I'll buy a set (and you can get them thin like pizza cutters if you want)
    1990 YJ, Sold

1998 TJ, traded

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have the KM2's. they're awesome tires. i dont have more than a couple thousand miles on em tops but off road i couldnt get stuck in 2wd on a rainy weekend at Morris Mountain. they're great. also the A/T's are great from bfg. just depends on how much you will be wheeling and in what. also, if you go through tires a bit you can buy the warrenty on bfg tires for like 18 bucks a tire. 100% replacement for the first 50% of tread, after that its prorated. great deal.
    Last edited by afjeep; 10-21-2009 at 22:51.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Viewer Discretion Advised Jacob's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2001

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about these?

Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radial Tire, LT375/55R16

Fits my stock rims, works out to almost 32.5

Shipped to my door for $684.95

That is just about half what it would cost me for any other tire or tire/rim combo I am looking at. I have had a couple of friends with these on other rigs and they seemed to wear fine and do good offroad.
    Jacob

Stop organized crime, don't re-elect anyone!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a set of Truxxs MTR's for the TJ before camp MJ last year. I didn't air down and went over blue/blacks the entire time open/open. Drives like a caddy at 75 mph. Then I rode shotty in my old TJ for the NJJA crawl for the cure and it was wet, cold (snow/rain) the whole time and they didn't fail to impress me again without being aired down. They'll be the tire of choice going on my CJ.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a set of Baja Claws 33x11.50s on my previous TJ........I loved them and hated them. They didnt really get too noisy until the highway and even then it was still tollerable with the soft top. They did pretty awesome offroad got stuck a few times but I would have been pushing it with any tire. I can't speak for their integrity at lower pressures though cause I never had on board air so I never aired down. I had these on my TJ for about 7k miles before I sold my TJ and they were a bit past 1/2 tred. However I did have to do alot of highway driving (NC to OH) My gas mileage was pretty horrible, but then again I was sitting with stock 3.73's so 5th gear was simply useless. I'm not certain that it was a fault of the tire but overtime they get a very weird wear pattern on them. Random low spot as if they were the only part of the tire contacting the ground, but they were very spuratic, no pattern to them. Overall they were a pretty decent tire, especially for the price, but to be honest before I decided to sell it I was shopping around for a different set of tires in mind.
    "Don't hold grudges because tomorrow my never happen!"

"If you live for the weekend, you're missing out on 5/7ths of your life!"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast