2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Riley
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mml?

I just got in my 1" MML and i was wanting to see what problems im gonna be running into if i just a basic 4" lift and no BL?

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What type of Jeep do you have? The ONLY way I could even possibly see that being a problem is with a Rubicon and the 241 transfercase. Do know that even with a MML you still may have to run a T/C lowering kit to help with driveline angles.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll be fine. The only thing you should have to worry about is the fan shroud. You may have to move it up to keep the blades from hitting. Test your 4 hi and lo afterwards, not sure if it will affect the shift linkage or not.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Riley
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have a tj sport with an sye installed as well

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbal View Post
    i have a tj sport with an sye installed as well
    If you have a SYE with a double cardan DS you should not need a MML, if the angle you need to fix is on the axle, you may need cam bolts in the upper control arms or adjustable control arms... We need more info to help you out...

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    That's true. If your driveline angles are good now, and you're not doing a BL, there isn't a great deal of benefit to running a MML.
    They're usually done for 1 of 2 reasons... to help out your driveline angles, and to accommodate a body lift.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Riley
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have cam bolts in and i didnt see much difference in the driveline angle. I have a single cardan driveshaft. i know i installed the cam bolts the right way i just think i adjusted them the wrong way because i went with what someone else told me. he had me adjust them while the rear of the jeep was on jackstands with no tires and then i tighten them up once the tires were back on the ground. i wasnt sure if this was right seein as i never really saw the pinion move the slightest bit

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you could post some pics will be great... I do the adjustment with all 4 on level ground get my angle from the transter replicte ir on the axle... Here is my guide book very helpfull... By the way why a single cardan???

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Riley
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im gonna try messing around with it tomorrow. this is my first jeep ive built from stock so ive been learning as time goes by or when stuff breaks lol. i ordered the tom woods sye and cv driveshaft kit and never really knew about the double cardan. i wish i would have known about it before when my angle was really off and my measurements came up short and i was busting driveshafts left and right. ill take some pics as im working on it.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The real benefit to a C. V. (double cardan) drive shaft is smoother operation at higher operating angles and longer life. The C.V. assembly works by intersecting the joint angles at the center pivot point and delivering a smooth rotational power flow or surface velocity through the drive line. Therefore, with this type of driveline it is important to roll the differential upward so that you have minimal joint operating angle at the differential end. As any substantial joint angle would cause the pinion to try to speed up & slow down two times per revolution. Causing what is known as a torsional vibration. (Torsional vibrations will also be created in a 2 joint driveline that has unequal angles at each of the "U" joints). Rolling the differential upward will lessen the total operating angle at each end of the driveshaft. Now at the transfer case end of the driveshaft you have two joints equally dividing the total angle . This will double the life of the joints at this end, additionally you will be back up to full rated life for the joint at the differential end. I also believe a C.V. is stronger than a conventional driveline when turning through the same angle. This would be the result of transmitting the torque in a plane more perpendicular to centerline of the driveshaft.

As you see, you have a double cardan....