2009 to Present

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default XJ Lift question?

Looking at a 4.5'' rough country lift. just wondering what you be ideal for light/mild off road with a dd. 32 or 33'' tires, have yet to decide dia. and width. wondering what the pros and cons would be for springs or leaf. they offer the two sets. i figure springs would give better articulation/flex, and leafs i dunno anything about leaf set ups really. i know how they work, but its all still new to me. the ideal set up for my previous ride was 3way custom valved coil overs with 12kg 14kg spring rates and pillow ball uppers and lower mounts about a harsh a ride as you can get while remaining street-able with out sacrificing structure and factoring in a whole slew of stuff. this is a lil' different. any who, personal opinion as far as brand goes, and which set up you would prefer. any who, hit it!

-by the way where my tinker jeepers at? i need some new/more friends.-

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run the 4.5" Rough Country lift on my rig with the full leaf packs in the rear. I am Running 34X10.50 Swamper LTB's with fenders trimmed. What I can say about the lift is that you will probably want to pay the extra money and get the adjustable control arms when you get it. I bought my lift last Feb when they only had non adj. arms and they seem just a tad bit shorter than what I want. The parts all seem to be pretty good quality if you ask me. My biggest complaint is just the non adjustable arms. One more thing I would suggest getting either with the lift or at a later date is some upper control arms to replace the factory uppers. The factory upper control arms are pretty weak (ask me how I know).

As
    Quote Originally Posted by sincitycj View Post
    I got a wave from a compass once. That was sure confusing. I didn't know if I should wave or barf.

Be sure to check out the Germany Chapter Page:

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/chapter/germany/index.shtml

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Far as tire width is concerned I run a 15x8" wheel with somewhere between 3.75 and 3.5" of backspacing and a 10.5" wide tire wich tucks perfectly into my trimmed fenderwells and keeps the tires of the control arms. When I was running 31" tires I had to do some minor trimming on the rear to fully flex but with bumpstopping you could run 31's or 32's no problem.
    I got a wave from a compass once. That was sure confusing. I didn't know if I should wave or barf.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an RC 4.5" with full springs too. I wouldn't suggest going with the add-a-leafs to anyone. You will have to trim the fenders a bit to run 33's. I ran 31's with no problem for a copule years. Now I run 35" BFG's and I had to trim a lot to keep the tires out of my fenders. They still stuff up into the inner fender, but that could be cured with longer bumpstops (I'm too lazy to put any work into it right now...) For a lot of great tech on XJ's I suggest going to www.naxja.org and search. You'll find a ton of information and pictures. Good luck!!
    Prepared for the Zombies

91 XJ, 4.5" RC Long Arm Suspension, 35" BFG KM's on black steelies, Ford 8.8 rear, D30 w/Aussie, AA SYE, Custom bumpers, JCR Rock Sliders, Rusty's gas tank skid

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MetViper View Post
    I have an RC 4.5" with full springs too. I wouldn't suggest going with the add-a-leafs to anyone. You will have to trim the fenders a bit to run 33's. I ran 31's with no problem for a copule years. Now I run 35" BFG's and I had to trim a lot to keep the tires out of my fenders. They still stuff up into the inner fender, but that could be cured with longer bumpstops (I'm too lazy to put any work into it right now...) For a lot of great tech on XJ's I suggest going to www.naxja.org and search. You'll find a ton of information and pictures. Good luck!!

What tire width and wheel back spacing are you running? Also do you have any pics of that thing flexed out.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2009 to Present

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks all for the info and the link for NAXJA. i just registered.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigskyxj View Post
    What tire width and wheel back spacing are you running? Also do you have any pics of that thing flexed out.

I'm pretty sure the BS is 4.5"....could be wrong. The tires are 12.5" wide...

Here's some flex pics as requested....

This one is before I trimmed some more:

Prepared for the Zombies

91 XJ, 4.5" RC Long Arm Suspension, 35" BFG KM's on black steelies, Ford 8.8 rear, D30 w/Aussie, AA SYE, Custom bumpers, JCR Rock Sliders, Rusty's gas tank skid