Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default need opinion on axels with 35s

so ive been told im really pushin my luck rollin with my 35s on a stock front axel..any opinions on that here? i mean im afraid to use my quick disconnects when wheelin..pretty sure ill be rubbin like crazy lol the old owner of the jeep pretty much doesnt remember what hes done to it..
    its obviously got some lift because i dont seem to rub..only heard it rub once and that was when i hit the bump stop.Damn thing came with only 3 shocks, and out of the 3 of em they all suck, friggin monroe gas matics on the front and a rancho on the back made for 0 inchs of lift, apparently the other rear shock snapped off because the bolts are stripped and broken so ill have fun drillin them. So back to the main topic..you guys think i should down grade to 33s? this thing is my daily driver/fun on the weekends truck and ill also be driving it about 2k miles in december. Thanks, and Im glad to be apart of this forum!
    Last edited by Sniperx9119; 11-02-2009 at 22:09.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum, Sniper!

Rolling on 35's on stock axles can be risky or not a problem at all.....but its all relative to the individual situation, and there are questions that need to be answered.

1. Is your front differential open or locked?
    2. What type of wheelin' do you do?
    3. What's the engine/transmission/transfer case set up?

If you're running an open diff with a 4cyl and only wheel light trails with some moderate rockcrawling you can make a Dana 30 survive for quite a long time.

I run 35's on my Dana 30 with a 4.0 and and Aussie locker. I've managed to wheel this setup pretty heavily with "acceptable" breakage. I've gotten pretty good at replacing U-joints and axleshafts on the trail. I carry spares and expect to use them.

If you don't want to break, or lack the skills and tools to fix on the trail you may want to downgrade to 33's (although the decrease in size is only minimal in my opinion). Or, (more expensively) upgrade to a Dana 44 or other beefier front axle assembly. Hope this helped. Good luck!!

-Jeff C.
    Prepared for the Zombies

91 XJ, 4.5" RC Long Arm Suspension, 35" BFG KM's on black steelies, Ford 8.8 rear, D30 w/Aussie, AA SYE, Custom bumpers, JCR Rock Sliders, Rusty's gas tank skid

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're worried about axles breaking, your stock D30 should be fine with 35s. I'd upgrade shafts, throw an aussie in it, and call it a day.

Your rear axle is what I'd worry about. If you've got a D35 you're on borrowed time. Your best bet is to find a ford 8.8. They can usually be found for $200-$300. You can have a shop set it up to fit under your jeep, parts and labor should be around $700. It's about the same width and has the same bolt pattern as your current axles, and is a tad bit stronger than a D44.

As far as fitting, a 4" lift and a 1" body lift and you should be good to go. If you're up to, you could always do a diy high line on the fenders and leave your ride height the same.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are running a 30/35 axle combo, Id truss the front 30 and stuff it with chromo axle shafts. Jeff is right - a Dana 35 wont last long with 35" tires. Dump it for a Ford 8.8 or a junkyard Dana 44.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinSoldier View Post
    If you are running a 30/35 axle combo, Id truss the front 30 and stuff it with chromo axle shafts. Jeff is right - a Dana 35 wont last long with 35" tires. Dump it for a Ford 8.8 or a junkyard Dana 44.
    I wheel the chit out of mine with 35s.... I put the US Alloy chromies up front and just ordered the Poly Performance C gussets - after 11/13 it will have chromium axle shafts, C gussets, an inner sleeve from ORE and a truss from RK

I am building it as strong as I can and will go to 37s once that is complete. I carry a spare set of shafts all the way around just to be safe.

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 11-02-2009 at 21:41.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MetViper View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Sniper!

Rolling on 35's on stock axles can be risky or not a problem at all.....but its all relative to the individual situation, and there are questions that need to be answered.

1. Is your front differential open or locked?
    2. What type of wheelin' do you do?
    3. What's the engine/transmission/transfer case set up?

If you're running an open diff with a 4cyl and only wheel light trails with some moderate rockcrawling you can make a Dana 30 survive for quite a long time.

I run 35's on my Dana 30 with a 4.0 and and Aussie locker. I've managed to wheel this setup pretty heavily with "acceptable" breakage. I've gotten pretty good at replacing U-joints and axleshafts on the trail. I carry spares and expect to use them.

If you don't want to break, or lack the skills and tools to fix on the trail you may want to downgrade to 33's (although the decrease in size is only minimal in my opinion). Or, (more expensively) upgrade to a Dana 44 or other beefier front axle assembly. Hope this helped. Good luck!!

-Jeff C.
    Id imagine that im unlocked as i think its pretty much stock(lol did i forget to mention this is my first "truck"?) ive only went wheeling like 3 times..nothin crazy just to get "a little mud on the tires" I also notice the previous owner installed quick disconnects and id like to be able to disconnect em so i can flex a bit, but im afraid to with this silly 35s as for engine/tranny/transfer..4.0 with brute force CAI, stock 5 speed manual and heck the stock transfer that doesnt want to go into 4lo..but only 2 and 4hi

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are you trying to engage 4lo? Most are pretty finicky... be at a stop and in neutral and it should slide in.
    Is there a body lift on it? From the way it sounds with the condition of the jeep when you got it, it wouldn't surprise me if it had a huge body lift and all the suspension was stock. With a body lift, it can cause the shift linkage in the transfer case to bind, not allowing you to pull the handle far enough back to engage 4lo. Do you notice any problems shifting into 2nd, 4th or reverse? Popping out of gear?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    How are you trying to engage 4lo? Most are pretty finicky... be at a stop and in neutral and it should slide in.
    Is there a body lift on it? From the way it sounds with the condition of the jeep when you got it, it wouldn't surprise me if it had a huge body lift and all the suspension was stock. With a body lift, it can cause the shift linkage in the transfer case to bind, not allowing you to pull the handle far enough back to engage 4lo. Do you notice any problems shifting into 2nd, 4th or reverse? Popping out of gear?
    my tranny has no problems and shifts great, dont get me wrong im pretty positive that i dont have enuf lift for these tires, BUT i do have a hmmwv bumper plate on the front in place of the stock bumper giving me plenty of clearence there. With the transfer 2wheel works great, moving it straight back into 4hi seems too easy, then when i push to the right to go around the little piece that juts out, it just seems like im pulling aginst tension and i feel nothing at all except spring resistance. Heres some pics i took to try to figure out what i really have.
    Last edited by Sniperx9119; 11-02-2009 at 22:36.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disconnect them and stay off the skinny pedal..... its not the disco's that break stuff its usually your foot....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast