1978 to 2000

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Looking to buy a CB

And need suggestions on what to get???? Looking at a Cobra 75 WX tweaked, any comments?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got that cobra model. it is nice because you don't have to worry about mounting the big CB box in your jeep. everything can be mounted behind the dash and I just split a fuse box to power it. Works great, no issues and very easy to install.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have that model and really like it. Its small enough to hide to keep out of view from prying eyes. Have mine stuffed under the dash on the passenger side, with the mike hidden behind the glove box when not in use. The only thing I don't like is the speaker isn't especially loud, hard to hear especially if your hearing is as screwed up as mine. It has a connection for an external speaker, but I haven't got around to hooking one up yet.
    I AM SECRET SQUIRREL!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 1999

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the 29ltd and I like it. It was a gift but the only complants are that it does not scan, it does not have weather and it is a little big, but I used velcrow(sp) and put it on the back of my center console and it fits good there.
    04 tj, 2" rusty lift, lod rear tire swing and bumper custom front bumper w/ aircraft landing lights and 32" cooper discovery stt

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Eustis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 75 and I like it. Had the same problem with volume though. I plugged the external speaker plug into a speaker on the drivers side dash. Works good, BUT, you have to use a 4 OHM speaker to get volume out of it.
    '86 CJ7, 265 CI, TF999, Weber 38, DUI, Borlas, 4"BDS.
    '04 TJ Sahara - Lot's of stuff pending!
    '00 TJ Sahara (Chick Jeep - wife's)!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabies99 View Post
    I have that model and really like it. Its small enough to hide to keep out of view from prying eyes. Have mine stuffed under the dash on the passenger side, with the mike hidden behind the glove box when not in use. The only thing I don't like is the speaker isn't especially loud, hard to hear especially if your hearing is as screwed up as mine. It has a connection for an external speaker, but I haven't got around to hooking one up yet.
    I went to Radio shack and bought a speaker which I mounted above the center of the front window on that hook. I just used cable ties to mount the speaker bracket. The external speaker makes a big difference and I have not tried it without the external speaker, but I would imagine it would be tough to hear.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't go wrong with a CB set up. I've owned Cobrra's low end models and thay worked great. I'mk now using an Unidend and it has been good. The main thing to do when installing a CB is to set the antenna. Either go to a shop or buy(find a friend with) a SWR meter. They're cheap and come with intsructions, and will prolong the life of the radio.

does this guy ever wheel? Hitechredneck's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To save you a little bit of searching i want to point this "kit" out to ya. http://www.stu-offroad.com/cb/cb1/cb-1.htm they put it together to take the guess work out of what works best together. Also comes with a swr meter so you dont have to go hunting for one that work right. hope this helps.

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2000

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the input, I like the idea of being able to hide the Cobra 75 under the dash. Has anyone had there's tuned like this? Saw this on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/Cobra-75-WX-ST-S...QQcmdZViewItem This radio will be removed from the box BRAND NEW and the transmitter will be aligned for increased power and modulation. Peak output power reaching 18 Watts with loud audio. (18 Watts of peak power, AM carrier power goes up from 3W to a full 4W). ***Alignments and tuning will not be harmful to the radio. No levels will be higher than what the radio can handle.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never heard of a company doing that. Shoot the dude an email that is supposedly going to do the work, he has a huge page up about his military career.

All radio work will be performed by:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast