2006 to Present

Closest Installation

MacDill AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up New Tops

So, I got my JK and it had a sweet Sunrider soft top on it. Last week, someone cuts into the right rear quarter window to steal my IPod. Now, the fact that my IPod was on my dash was just begging for it to get taken. I'm not upset about that. In fact, I deserved that. But, it was a freaking soft top with a zip-out quarter window. It would've been so simple to just unzip the window and go right in. Insted, the perp decided to use a screwdriver (which he conveniently left in the back of the Jeep) and stab a hole in the window. From there, he tore a circular pattern to make a small opening. I figure this must've been a kid because the hole wasn't very big. Anyway, I searched and searched and searched the internet to try to find a new quarter window. No luck. I did find a window kit from Bestop that looked like it might work. The kit actually came with the quarter windows and the rear window. Only problem was that it said that it fit the Bestop Sail Cloth Replace-a-Top. It said nothing about the Sunrider. So, not particularly wanting to shell out around $350 for something I wasn't sure would fit, I went with a whole new top. I got the Trektop by Bestop. The top looks great. I wound up using the tailgate retainer bar from my original top because one of the mounting brackets broke off the new one. I also snapped one of the small screws that hold the mounting brackets on the front of the top. That wasn't a big issue, as each mounting bracket requires four screws. The Trektop does offer the "sun roof" feature that I enjoyed with the Sunrider. The quarter windows do not zip out. There is only one bow and it just slides into a couple of pockets at the back of the top. The top has door surrounds that are pretty easy to install. Putting the top on is rather simple. The first thing you do is install the door surrounds. There is a pin that goes into the body right behind the door opening. Then, you put a couple of screws into the top of the sport bar and secure them with washers and nuts. The next thing you do is screw the mounting brackets onto a bar and then snap the front of the top around the bar. Center the bar over the front of the Jeep with the mounting brackets behind the footman loops on the windshield. Take a plate and place under the footman loop. Then, screw a knob through the plate and footman loop and then into the mounting bracket on the bar. Do this on both sides. Boom! Top is secured to the front of the vehicle. Next thing you do is drape the top over the sportbar and speaker mount. Insert the bow into the pockets in the back corner of the top. Once that's done, you can begin securing the bottoms of the quarter windows into the channel below the window openings. Wrap the fabric of the front of the top around the door surrounds and thread the strap between the door surrounds and the sport bar. Secure the ends of the strap together. There are a couple of small flaps above the screw points for the door surround. Wrap those around the door surround and secure the velcro to itself. Wrap the sides of the top behind the door opening around the door surround and secure the velcro. Now comes the tricky part. The back window has a plastic mount that must be secured into the plastic mount in the back of the top. You secure that and then engage the zippers on either side of the window. Close the zippers about an inch. Then, secure the tailgate retainer to the bottom of the window. If you use the one that comes with the top, the mounts are already attached to the bottom of the retainer. You secure those mounts onto the back of the Jeep and close the zippers all the way. The top is now on and it looks sharp. Alternately, the tailgate retainer that came with my original top works. The mounts simply slide onto the back of the Jeep on either side of the tailgate opening. The bar mounts to the bottom of the window with the same type of rubber tube and "C" channel opening. The tube slides right into the channel. The bar then slides right into the mounts.

Over all, I like the top. My NCOIC and I installed it in about a half hour and that included taking the old top off and its bow system. The front of the top rolls back to expose the front seats and give a sun roof effect. I can't wait until it gets warm again. I want to remove the entire top and the front doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You bough mexican, how could you? Kewl write up though.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why didn't insurance cover it?

Also if you paragraph it makes things easier to read.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

MacDill AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army

A. I bought Mexican? Really? Looks like I'm going to have to do better homework when I start upgrading the Jeep.
    B. Paragraphing would have been a great idea.
    C. Insurance probably would've covered it, but I decided that it was just easier to not go through the hassle of it. I had a little extra cash and decided that claiming it on insurance may end up costing me more in the long run.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a therad a little while back about Bestop going to Mexico.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army

da spurge i was looking to one of them myself thanks for the info didn't know they was moving eathier im going to look into it thanks yall

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you like the fit? one of the biggest complaints of the trek top was that the fitment was horrible, which made a lot of noise and didn't seal well.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

MacDill AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    how do you like the fit? one of the biggest complaints of the trek top was that the fitment was horrible, which made a lot of noise and didn't seal well.
    I find that it is no noisier than the factory Sunrider that I had on it. As for the fit, it rides right on top of the sport bars, so you lose maybe an inch or two of head space. The head rests on the back seats actually touch the back window because of the angle in the back. I love the look. I do have one complaint, though. That is simply that the hardware isn't as strong as I'd prefer.

When my NCOIC and I were putting the top on, we had to mount the windshield mounts onto a bar that the front of the top snaps around. As we were tightening a bolt on the mount, it snapped. Not a huge deal, considering each mount is held to the bar with four bolts. Then, later on, I broke another piece. That was on the tail gate retainer bar. On this model, the mounts are riveted onto the bar and you hook them into the channel on the back of the Jeep and roll them into place. Only problem is that when you want to take the window out, you have to roll the bar back toward the rear of the Jeep. When I did that, one of the mounts snapped off. I had a pretty easy fix for that, though. I simply used the tailgate retainer bar from my old top. The "C" channel on the window is the same size as that of my old window. So, I just slid the bar right onto the bottom of the window. The mounts for it are separate from the bar. They slide right into the channel on the back of the Jeep and the bar is then just hooked into the mounts. I prefer that configuration. If I want to open the back window, I can just unzip the sides and lift the bar out of the mounts.

If I had one major complaint about the top, it's just that the quarter windows don't zip out. Otherwise, you can roll the front of the top back and have a "sun roof." Removing the entire top is actually very simple and can be done in short order. I like the look. There is only one "bow." It just slides into a couple of pockets in the upper back corners of the top. All in all, I like the top. I just wish that Bestop had used better quality bolts for the windshield mounts.
    Fear the MOOSE! I can make you not print

'08 JK, GPS Nav, MOPAR 3-Piece Freedom Top, some other cool stuff. Automatic tranny.