User Tag List

Thread: Finally got it narrowed down i think...

Indecisive servicemember medicbear's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Finally got it narrowed down i think...

06 fully loaded Commander (nav, dvd player in rear, towing, leather, heated seats etc.) with the 4.7 52,000 miles for 20,000 which also includeds a bumper to bumper warranty to carry it to 100k. They are giving me roughly 17,500 for for my JK trade with my credit for 60months payments are 340. Im gonna see if i can get it down to 315-325 a month... Decent deal?
    2001-2005 Air Force Medic, 2005-2006 Navy Corpsman, 2007-Present Army Medic/Chaplains Asst.

Viewer Discretion Advised Jacob's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2001

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only advice I can give you in purchasing a vehicle is do not haggle monthly payments with a dealership or salesman. Haggle bottom dollar on the vehicle price. Haggling payments only adjusts interest rates and loan terms, not what you are getting the vehicle out the door for. I have always had better luck getting pre-approved for a certain amount on a loan and walk in there to haggle the out the door, bottom dollar price on the vehicle. Haggle monthly payment amounts and interest rates with your bank/credit union during the loan approval stage.
    Jacob

Stop organized crime, don't re-elect anyone!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my ex got an 05 unlimited 4.7l with everything with 20k miles for around $18k... maintained the factory 7/70 warranty. I would try to talk them down a tad.
    Never, let me repeat... NEVER negotiate monthly payments. Your best bet is to go to your bank and get a pre-approved loan. That way you can walk right into the dealer and say "I have a check for $18k, I want that commander." If they say no, you walk and find another. There's plenty out there.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2001

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    my ex got an 05 unlimited 4.7l with everything with 20k miles for around $18k... maintained the factory 7/70 warranty. I would try to talk them down a tad.
    Never, let me repeat... NEVER negotiate monthly payments. Your best bet is to go to your bank and get a pre-approved loan. That way you can walk right into the dealer and say "I have a check for $18k, I want that commander." If they say no, you walk and find another. There's plenty out there.
    Walk in there and say NOTHING about how much you have. HAGGLE THE SHIT OUT OF THEM!! If they know how much you have, that is as low as they will go.
    Jacob

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

truth. since moving to USAA I've walked into every dealership with a check written for the amount that I'm willing to give them. If they want it, they'll take it. Or in the case of my most recent truck purchase, the guy wouldn't cave on 248 bucks. I walked out, they called the next day and I had already bought another truck.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2001

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HAHA, even better one. My wife wanted a new CRV when we were in Hawaii. We went and got the check from the bank for what we wanted to spend. Honda dealership #1 wouldn't do it, even told me I couldn't get one anywhere on the planet for what I was willing to give. We went to dealership #2 and they didn't have the car we wanted. Haggled a little and they went and got the car from dealership #1 and sold it to us for cheaper than the original amount we were going to give dealership #1. You have to be ruthless. You have to walk out at least once or you are not getting the real joy out of buying a vehicle. If you don't feel good about the deal you are getting or you have questions about it in the back of your mind there is one of two things happening...1. you are getting bent over or....2. you didn't do enough research to know what a deal is on the purchase you are making.
    Last edited by Jacob; 11-17-2009 at 21:19.
    Jacob

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacon View Post
    Walk in there and say NOTHING about how much you have. HAGGLE THE SHIT OUT OF THEM!! If they know how much you have, that is as low as they will go.
    He should no the top line before he walks in there though.
    When I walk in I know the amount I'll pay for a vehicle, I've got the check printed out and ready to go. There's no negotiating.... just a yes or a no. At this point, they know you're there to buy and they're not going to get you for anything more that what you've agree'd to pay.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2001

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    He should no the top line before he walks in there though.
    When I walk in I know the amount I'll pay for a vehicle, I've got the check printed out and ready to go. There's no negotiating.... just a yes or a no. At this point, they know you're there to buy and they're not going to get you for anything more that what you've agree'd to pay.
    I beat on them for a while to get as far below what my top line is though. If they know you have a check for a certain amount they may or may not cave down to that amount, but I guarantee you that they will not go below that amount. I am a cheap bastard, if I can save $10 on a $20k purchase I feel like I won. It is more of a stubborn grudge match with me. I know the salesmen that I have bought from in the past were more than happy to get rid of me when it was all over with.
    Jacob