1993 to 1997

Closest Installation

Wright-Patterson AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Advice needed

I have a 2001 XJ with the upcountry package bone stock. It has a D35 with the LS diff. Already has gas tank skid front (whatever it protects) skid and front/rear tow hooks. I plan to start building it after the first of the year. Planning on about 4.5"- 5" lift with 33"s, My question is, should the first improvement be to get rid of the D35? I am really new to offroading (never been on anything more treacherous than a bumpy gravel road or wet grass). It's not that I don't want to I have just heard all the horror stories about how weak this axle is so I have been too chicken to attempt any offroading with it for fear that it will leave me stranded.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Knox
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been wheeling mine hard for a year now with 33's and the D35 and never had a problem. Everyone talks about how weak they are but i have never seen one break in person. I'm not replacing mine until it's broke. I always wheel with a group so don't have to worry about breaking and being stranded.

Bonified Redneck

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2009 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not had any problems with the D35 on my setup (31's open) and with 33"s I dont think there would be much of a problem. The only thing I would worry about is the LSD, It shouldnt break anything but I would take it easy on the skinny pedal untill you upgrade.

Now when I say I have not had any problems with it I have put it through about as much hell as you can on 31" MTRs. When the jeep was on the road it was doing burnouts and being launched hard. When it was off the road it was going from full throttle doughnuts in mud to sliding sideways onto dry pavement without letting off the throttle. I would run blacks and blues being both technical and stupid with the throttle and it never even made a sound. I have even barrel rolled it off of a 15' high rock pile and driven away without a problem on it.

All I am saying is as long as its open with 33"s dont be stupid and it will last.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

1992 Cherokee XJ Buggy build in progress... Buster 2.1
    40" Maxxis, 2.5" Airshocks, Homebrew 609's, Custom Titanium driveshafts (cheaper than Tom Woods), D300 4:1, T19, SB V8 on steroids, a couple feet of 1.75x.120/.228

1994 Ford F250 Daily driven tow pig... Big Jack
    7.3l IDI turbo diesel (not a Powerstroke) T19 swap (from an E4OD) 35" MT's

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If 33's and open is your goal, you'll be fine. If you're really worried, buy an extra set of shafts just in case and learn how to change them out. If you're going to go larger and want to lock it, then you might want to think about a different axle.
    As far as the XJ's go when lifting, I think the big thing to take care of stiffening up the frame. I'm sure a few people can chime in on that.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im runnin 35s on my 35
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rescueyj View Post
    im runnin 35s on my 35
    I wouldn't say you're actually running it

Pork - the one you love! tomsjeep's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1995

Closest Installation

Camp Robinson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by armymedic View Post
    I have been wheeling mine hard for a year now with 33's and the D35 and never had a problem. Everyone talks about how weak they are but i have never seen one break in person. I'm not replacing mine until it's broke. I always wheel with a group so don't have to worry about breaking and being stranded.
    I think I could furnish you coordinates to an "axle garden" composed entirely of axles sticking up out of the mud. But you need to wheel to get in there, and you stand a good chance of adding to the garden.
    2007 Liberty, Black, 245x70r16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor "Miss Libby" (I didn't pick the nick)
    2002 Wrangler Sahara, Black & Tan, 31x10.5r15 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, ARB Bullbar, etc.
    Bristol (Sailstar) Corsair & 2 kayaks.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Closest Installation

Wright-Patterson AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would good rock rails and aftermarket bumpers be sufficient in stiffening up the unibody or would I need to buy the weld in frame stiffeners?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

frame stiffeners
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Closest Installation

Wright-Patterson AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was also thinking of putting in a lunch box locker in the front until I am ready to regear, then selectable lockers f/r? If I get a cheap XJ with HP D30 and Chry. 8.25 to swap out would they hold up to lockers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast