Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Info on Garvin Swing-Away/ Trail Rack

Spent the better part of the AM installing the new rear Garvin Swing-Away. Figured, good time to mount the new trail rack/ CO2 tank holder too. Here is the question, if anyone has this trail rack set up, is there supposed to be 2 welded tabs on the bottom of the swing away? These tabs would be for the brackets that bolt to the support posts (in front of the tire. The lower portion of my swing away is empty, just the nice new powder coating.

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarineSniper View Post
    Spent the better part of the AM installing the new rear Garvin Swing-Away. Figured, good time to mount the new trail rack/ CO2 tank holder too. Here is the question, if anyone has this trail rack set up, is there supposed to be 2 welded tabs on the bottom of the swing away? These tabs would be for the brackets that bolt to the support posts (in front of the tire. The lower portion of my swing away is empty, just the nice new powder coating.
    Hit us with a pic of where you are talking about and we might be able to better figure it out.
    S/F
    Jeff
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Here are pics...

Based on what I saw from others, there should be two welded "tabs" on the lower swing arm. To these tabs bolt extension brackets to fasten the uprights. They should be located about the area where the main uprights behind the tire are welded in
    Attached Images Attached Images

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are absolutely right. There are supposed to be tabs there...with a hole at the bottom and either 2 holes or a slot slightly above that depending on the model. That is as long as you have the EXT series swingaway. The ATS series does not have provisions for the mounting.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, it is the EXT. The ATS has the rounded frame (swing). No way I am shipping this back unless they send me a new one to mount first, or perhaps give me a couple hundred bucks back. I can have two pieces welded on, just be screwing up the fresh powdercoating. Can't wait to see how this ends.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck Brother.

~~Thomas Jefferson

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Update on Garvin Bumper and Trail Rack....

Called Garvin... They were very sorry, seems as though I received one of their new "updated" versions of the EXT Series. Has new latch, tire carrier, and does NOT utilize the tabs for the trail rack supports. The Trail rack was also updated to get rid of the supports, instead having a stronger mounting bracket. Therfore, they are happily sending me a new "updated" trail rack, and a call tag to ship my rack back. Great service. I also called 4WD Hardware to let them know the trail rack they sent me will not work with the new EXT system, also very greatful.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is pretty cool that they are helping you out, but when I get something for the jeep, I start tracking the package as soon as I get a tracking number and then rush to put it on as soon as I get it. I have installed some stupid stuff that could have waited in snow, rain, at night....did not really matter. There is no way that I could have waited all that time and then have to wait for another one.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the original rack a day befor the Bumper/Swing Away. Not taking the first off until the new "updated" on gets here. Then Ii will ship back the first to them. Pics when i am done

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems to all be working out for you Sniper. From one 8541 (now they are 0317s) to another...that is good to hear. S/F Jeff

~~Thomas Jefferson

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast