2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default tranny problem

i got a problem with my transmission it is screaming like it ate a bearing so i am looking to swap it out (broke tranny good reason to up grade) i have gone through 4 ax15's in 2 years one was a rebuild rest were jy specials so i need to know what has people done for trans swaps

sm 420
    sm 465
    np435

if i can find a nv 3550 that looks like the best option direct bolt in

what is the best option i am also going to do a dana 300 install at the same time so what are my best options for 4.0 to x tranny to dana 300
    Rocks to a Jeep are like crack to an addict

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Anything can be fixed with enough redneckery.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i did a 3550 swap and burnt one out quicker than the ax. i believe the ax15 is actually rated for a higher tq input than the 3550 as well. i know a few jeep speed guys that prefer the ax15 over the 3550.

after seeing first hand the abuse a 727 or 999 can take im going auto with my build. cheap to find, quite abit of aftermarket support.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1985 View Post
    i have gone through 4 ax15's in 2 years one was a rebuild rest were jy specials so i need to know what has people done for trans swaps

sm 420
    sm 465
    np435

what is the best option i am also going to do a dana 300 install at the same time so what are my best options for 4.0 to x tranny to dana 300
    What model Jeep?
    If you do any highway driving, you won't like any of the trannies you listed(no overdrives). The first two are Chevys, both good trans but you'd need an adapter to use with the 4.0 motor.
    NP435 is found in Dodge and Ford flavors, with a Dodge version you may be able to avoid an adapter.
    The 300 t-case was not used behind any of those, but might bolt up to the Dodge 435.
    Give a call to Advance Adapter or Novak to verify.
    Lastly, what are you doing with the vehicle that is burning up those trannies? The AX15 is not my favorite trans, but they will stand up to a fair amount of abuse without failure.
    '93 YJ, SOA, 35s, locked front & rear
    '99 Ram tow machine, 5.9 Cummins

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the jeep is a 92 yj and the first one lost the syncros the second and third was a jy specials which the second one i cracked the case on a rock third ate the input bearing my Buddy rebuilt it now it is screaming after i drover the jeep cross country

i have not torn in to the my current tranny to see whats up it shifts fine it is just screaming i may just pay some one to rebuild it but i am looking for a new option and i understand the no overdrive but i am in the process of building a set of 60's and will no longer be a dd
    Rocks to a Jeep are like crack to an addict

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Anything can be fixed with enough redneckery.

texast

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1974 to 1994

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USAF bad tranny

hey man i have a 94 with the ax15 and had to have it rebuilt because it kept popping out of 5th gear and locking up. i now have the same exact problem again. my jeep has the 2.5L 4cyl with 4.56 gears and i used to drive it everyday to work until it started to mess up again. Maybe some one can also help me figure out my problem too. good luck.

mnt. camper
    Last edited by mnt. camper; 12-02-2009 at 13:38. Reason: missed spelled words