1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rims and Tires from AAFES.com

So i was screwing around with the NIPR computer here in the sand box tryingn to find some tires and rims for the heep. As im trolling the intarweb I stumble onto aafes.com seems the have a few offsite locations that sell tires at a discount.

if you follow the series of links you end up at www.ordertire.com

For reference 32x11.50 BFG MT's are listed at 210.00
    goodyear 32x11.50 MT/R's are 232.00

So to hijack my very own thread:

Since its been a while for buying new tires is this a good deal or not? im stuck between the BFG's and the Goodyears.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems a bit high. In january 07, I bout 33x12.50 for 172 a pop from NTB. At summit racing you can get mud kings (BFG knockoffs) at 699 for 5 (before shipping). They're close enough to bfg's to have their part numbers. I like bfg mtr's a lot, and I'll be back to them eventually.

does this guy ever wheel? Hitechredneck's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems kind of steep to me. But then i hate affes but that is a whole other issue. As far as tires go i have run both of those tires and i likes the goodyear MT/R better. They grip better in the rocks. and the side walls are a whole lot stronger then the bfgs, but they do cost more. You stated that you were in the sandbox, If you are not going to be back before september and need the tires before then. Then my vote would be the NEW bfg km2's based off the krawler tread. They are comming out with a ton more tire sizes in september. They have great reviews and everyone that has them likes them. That will be my next tire as soon as i pony up the cash for 17" wheels cause they are not going to make a 37 in the 15" wheel.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i heard teh km2's are sweet.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stay away from AAFES if at all possible. not to hijack this thread, but here are two stories about AAFES. It has been a little while, so the prices may be slightly off...but you will see what I am trying to say.

A bunch of years ago when MP3 players were first coming out, I saw one I wanted at AAFES for like $299. When it came time for my wife's brithday, I saw they had dropped it to $199 and bought it. After giving the MP3 player to her for her birthday, I figured I would get one for myself. AAFES did not have one in stock, so I checked the internet. Everyone had them for $99. I went to AAFES and they would not price match, so I wrote an email to their corporate office. The response I got was "we have had problems with that one AAFES store not marking the items down when we drop the prices. Here are some gift certificates for a free oil change with AAFES and if you go back in, they will refund the difference in the price".

About a year ago my wife was going to the whitehouse. I wanted to buy a small camera and bought one at AAFES for about $299. When I was at work, I was looking it up online to show a co-worker what I had bought and everyone had them for $169 or less. I went to the store and they said they would not price match with every other store on the internet that sells it about half price. I wrote AAFES corporate and received an email back telling me that I can get a credit for the difference and the reason that the amount was "slightly higher" (actually almost twice as much) was that AAFES does not buy in bulk like the other stores and does not get them for that cheap. After getting the price match, I was curious over the next few months and would stop in to see if they changed the price at all, and they had not.

At clothing and sales, I was buying ribbons and stuff for a shadow box for a SGM that was retiring. When I checked out, for some weird reason I looked at the receipt. None of the prices matched what was listed by the products. I went back in, checked the product numbers to make sure, and then went to the register to get the prices adjusted. I was told that they had recently raised the prices and had not got around to changing the signs. I know it may seem petty, but I got my money back, a little over a dollar or two, but the last time I checked they had not changed the prices by the products to reflect the actual prices.

I always wanted to know why a 32 ounce bottle of Gatorade at the PX was $1.89 and you could get it at the Commissary for $.79 as an everyday price.

anyway, i am off my soapbox now..

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had many of the same type experiances that miljeep has had with affes they may be convinent but they are far from fair.
    2006 Unlimited

I will not Tiptoe through life only to arrive safely to my death, with no scars or stories to tell. I will enter Hell sideways in a Burning pile of rubble, with a smile on my face asking if I can do it again !???

does this guy ever wheel? Hitechredneck's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hehe i also have plenty of stories like that but i was trying to stay on subject...lol But anyone ever notice that when overseas you see all the shit you saw 8 months ago at the affes in the states for the same price or higher when it is 1/3 the price back home. things that make you go hhhmmmm. But anyways places to look for tires online if you decide to go the online route is. www.tirepackage.com www.treadepot.com www.tirerack.com www.discounttiredirect.com and of course the famous 4 wheel parts (leaving out comments) and quadratec (think affes is a rip off?) and jc whitney summit racing has great service and fair prices if you can find what you want. just trying to give you a few more places to look around that might help in finding the best deals.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AAFES is a complete joke. For a society where we encourage competition amongst businesses, AAFES provides the perfect example for what happens when an organization or "business" has no fear of competitors on post. I always found it ironic that we in the military, defenders of democracy and capitalism, are subjected to the idiocy of "socialized" everything: commodities, health care, Burger King.

Oh yeah...$232/tire sounds expensive.
    Regards,
    Joel

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
    DPG Offroad
    Crossfit Elite Fitness
    Rogue Brewery

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out http://www.treadwright.com

I have only heard good things about them and some have said that they have read articles about the tires being used under some extreme conditions with no issues. I know they are re-treads, but supposedly they are pretty damn tough. I think Chris may have said there is a waiting list for some of the sizes, so you may want to send a pm to korisu56 and see what he knows about them.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, one more suggestion. I know everyone loves going through quadratec, but if you look online you may be able to fnid 20% off coupons for jvwhitney. I ordered my tires and wheels from them and used the 20% off coupon and the price, even with shipping, was much cheaper than anywhere else online. The best part was that since they were both MT products, they came shipped from the MT factory mounted and balanced.

I usually just google jcwhitney 20% coupon before ordering something and sometimes sites like couponcabin or one of the many other sites will pop up where people list coupons. You may have to add the items to your basket and try a couple coupons before you find a number that works, but I saved like $280 bucks by spending a couple extra minutes playing around with the coupons I found online.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast