Served
    Served
    1965 to 1969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default LT33 x 12.5 x 15 on stock rims

Is anyone running 33-12.5 x 15 on stock TJ rims without spacers or other problems as the mim rim width is supposed to be 8.5". I am looking at Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac LT33 x 12.5-15.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My spare is A 33x12.50x15 on a seven inch wheel. It's not recommended, but works just fine. I know a couple guys who run them on the street and on the trail. One guy calls it "Poor man's bead-locks." One thing to take into consideration with this... Is the offset going to allow for that much tire on the inside. Some people run into problems hitting tie-rods or springs and it can tear-up the inboard side-wall. You are never going to know unless you mount one up. Take one tire to the hobby shop and mount it on a wheel and bolt it on the front. See if it works. If not, go buy some cheap steel wheels. What's the lug pattern? You may be able to find some used wheels that will work.
    By the way, you will wear tires FAST, due to a more rounded tread surface.
    Last edited by CutterN55; 12-07-2009 at 09:40.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7
    7,000 mi and counting on the TBI 258
    DUI, Np435, Twin Sticked D300, Locked Waggy D44s
    4" SUA with homebrew spring outboard
    37" siped swampers with some other nifty bolt-ons.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Bolling AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did this awhile back. I had BFG 33x 12.5 on my stock canyon rims. It worked, but I was never too comfortable with it. Eventually you will want to go to a new wheel with the right backspacing. I now have new rims and tires and I love it. Like I said, it will work but I would recomend forking out the money now for new rims rather than later.

Also the spacers, I wouldn't even mess with them. I had them as well and I wish I had just spent the money the first time.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1983 to 1996

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm running BFG's 32x12.5 on my stock Canyon rims... I had to put spacers on both front and rear. I am now saving for a new set of wheels... wish I had just done it in the first place instead of spending the money on the spacers. I haven't noticed any significant wear pattern, but I probably don't have 10k miles on them. Jon
    Jon Shields
    http://www.myspace.com/jonjshields

Lest we never forget...
    http://www.afghanistanwarheroes.org/shieldsaj.htm

"Stay focused, know what you want to do with your life and make your dreams comes true." Andrew Shields KIA 31 May 2008 OEF

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The issue is not the width of the rim, 8" wide is fine with a 12.50" inch tire, it is the back spacing on the stock rim, 5.25" if I remember correctly that cause problems with rubbing in front when turning or off roading. The recommended back spacing with a 12.50" wide tire in 3.75" which moves the center line of the tire out 1.5" from stock. This can be done with wheel spacers or new rims, a set of steel rims will fun you about $200 and a set of wheel spaces are around $125 I think.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok heres my story.
    Once upon a time not long ago and not too very far. I decided to try this with my stock rims and 33x12.50 BFG's. So there I was trading in my Stock GSA's to get a sweet deal on 5 BFG ATS. My happy feet and retarded brain said it was all good. I mounted, inspected the front and called it good. On the way to coldstone creamery, a rubbery smell was waffing. Just creating more hunger for icecream. (lactose intolerant). As I was licking the delicous choc chip mint I was looking at my inner right rear tire. I said to myself. SELF, "When did white wall come on BFGS"
    WORD!

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been told that it's pretty easy to break spacers. A good friend who owns a shop said he tried to use them and came down hard on one when wheeling and snapped them off. The money you could spend on spacers, you could put towards some good budget steel wheels.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7
    7,000 mi and counting on the TBI 258
    DUI, Np435, Twin Sticked D300, Locked Waggy D44s
    4" SUA with homebrew spring outboard
    37" siped swampers with some other nifty bolt-ons.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1995 to 1999

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've run 32" Dunlops, the fronts rubbed the UCA and the drivers side rear rubbing the Top of the spring perch. Most likely you will rub the arms and possibly in the rear with 33"s without spacers. Save up and get some wheels...just my $.02