Closest Installation

Bolling AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 258 emissions tube nightmare

Howdy, all..

I'm tackling one thing at a time with my jeep...think I fixed the oil leak (well, the big one, anyway). In the process of replacing the valve cover, I spent a good bit of time cursing at all the vacuum tubes running back and forth...seems like there might be two emissions systems worth of hoses in the darn thing...and with a replaced carb (holley on there now), I'm convinced most of them aren't doing anything anyway.

Any advice on how much of it I can rip out and discard and which stuff NEEDS to stay intact?

'86 CJ-7, 258, holley carb (need to look up the model)

Thanks all!

Jeff

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, are you gonna tag/register it in your AO? Or a trailer Queen?
    If you ripped it out, would you be able to get it inspected/passed?

I ripped all of it out of my '85, and will not put in a CAT when I do the custom exhaust. In fact the donor engine for the "Clifford swap" was an '82 due to the fact it has less emmissions ports to close up.

Here in NJ, I'll go for QQ tags (classic), and all I'm required to inspect is safety stuff. I know a private shop that will inspect a QQ vehicle.

Bessie will be parked on a pad on my property, and be trailered wherever she goes, but it's insured through USAA. So, I need to have it "legal".

Hope this helps.

Getting my morning coffee at the mud truck. Don't ever talk to me until I've had my morning coffee. Seriously, don't. I'm venomous. @BronxZooCobra.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1990

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...-258-a-740614/

Maybe this will get you in the right direction. I don't know if you'll be able to see it if you are not a member. If you can't, shoot me a pm and I'll try to help you, with the help of my hubby.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's some more info for ya.

Since you have a Holley Carb, and not the Carter BDD, chances are the pollution control stuff is doing no good anyway

I removed everything from my '80 CJ when I did the Nutter Bypass and MC2100 carb swap, it runs great now!! Of course there is no smog checks where I live, either.

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/major.htm

Nutter bypass: http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/ele...jn-ignition99/

The Nutter bypass addresses the BBD carb, and the distributor, it basically takes the computer out of the loop.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1994 to Present

Closest Installation

Bolling AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default follow-up -- tube-hell

Thanks, all...

As for registration -- have it in DC, but have it titled in Alaska, so not worried about emissions testing, etc.

Yes, with the Holly carb, I figured most of it wasn't connected anyway, since all that connects to the stock air filter doesn't vent to the current open filter on top the holly. The current carb is actually off the 'spare jeep' .... the PO gave me the original carb and a carb kit still in the box, but didn't indicate what problems he was having with the carb. Not sure if I'll try to rebuild it and replace it so the holly can go back on the engine it was tuned for...

***on a side note, It runs fine once warmed up, but no auto-choke, so I either need to pump a bunch or wire in a manual choke cable ... cold start takes a couple minutes to warm it up and be drivable. It has recently replaced plugs, wire, distributer, etc... but I haven't personally verified that timing is right and haven't made any carb adjustments myself yet...

Enjoying all the feedback -- thanks!

JB

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1990

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 78 Jeep J10 with a 258. Had a Carter BBD 2bbl on it when I got it. I got a Motorcraft 2100 with a 1.08 cfm. the Carter was a manual choke and was one cold little witch in the cold weather. Put the Motorcraft and a MSD ignition. Pump the petal 3-4 times and she'll start right up.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the MC2100 (1.08 venturi) swap also. Along with removing all the smog stuff. Manual choke, HEI distributor.

If my CJ sits for a day or 2, I need to pump the crap out of it, and crank it, but once it's been run and is warm, it fires right up.

That's typical of an older carberated rig.

It's also cold blooded, but I can work the manual choke, and start driving it within a minute or so of starting it, even when the temp is around 0* F.

Shoot me any Q's you have, I have a lot of pics from when I did mine, and have some more links to info somewhere.

HB

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1998 to Present

Closest Installation

Goodfellow AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HillBillE View Post
    Shoot me any Q's you have, I have a lot of pics from when I did mine, and have some more links to info somewhere.

HB
    I'd love to see some pics/links you have for this! I'm thinking of doing both as well...

Thanks